Lets make a list of over-rated players

Associate
Bale and Carroll

Both decent players but weren't very big until this season, now everybody seems to think Bale is the greatest player in the world, which considering all he does is smash the ball and run, is quite impressive.

Another one is Mateja Kežman who played for Chelsea around 2005 time, he was hyped as one of the best strikers in the world and scored about 4 goals in one season and left the club...

Man of Honour
It'd be more interesting if you had to pick one player from your own team who you consider overrated. I'll start:

Suarez.

I'm actually struggling to think of any one player that stands out above the others in terms of overratedness at Arsenal, one of the things about looking at your own club is that (by definition) you have a much better view on how players are rated by their own fans rather than your perception of rating coming solely from the media.

If I had to pick one I'd say Sczeczny, his kicking his generally poor and I'm not always convinced when he goes to punch it.

Caporegime
Forlan?

sdeems to be on the hot list, but we've seen him in the premiership and he wasnt all that. The big hit he made at the world cup seemed to be a keeper situation (where he left footed it in from about 35 yards).

People were hyping him up for a move back to UTD. i hope not.

Soldato
Forlan also ripped it up in Spain for years.

It's tricky thinking of an over rated United player currently as they all seem to come in for so much criticsm.

Evra possibly, in that he's looked a bit inconsistent defensively this season.

Associate
Forlan?

sdeems to be on the hot list, but we've seen him in the premiership and he wasnt all that. The big hit he made at the world cup seemed to be a keeper situation (where he left footed it in from about 35 yards).

People were hyping him up for a move back to UTD. i hope not.

Forlan isn't overrated he had a poor time in England fair enough but he's been amazing in Spain and the world cup just showed people back in England what a quality player he is.

For me I find Joe Cole to be quite overrated I accept that hes got skill but I've never seen him consistently do anything of quality to be rated as high as he is/was.

Associate
Rory Delap, obviously not rated that high in relation to many players already mentioned, but I doubt he would get in a conference side without that Javelin throw, he just can't play football.

Soldato
Really Bent?

He is the 2nd or 3rd highest goal scorer in the EPL over the last few season just behind Drogba I think they said.

Rooney quite probably is as well but then again hes English so seems to be praised just for that.

So, Bent isnt over rated, but Rooney is, (who is above him in the goal scoring charts over the past 5 years, with more assists as well, while costing less than half as much in trasfer fees as Bent).

I see.

How did you manage to square that one then?

Associate
Benoît Assou-Ekotto for me. Incredibly frustrating to watch considering I'm a neutral when I see the Spurs games. When he shapes up to kick it down the line and waits for players to run there...Gahh! He takes out about 6 or 7 other options out when he does that. He does it all of the time aswell.

Another for me would be Kenwyne Jones.

Soldato
Benoît Assou-Ekotto for me. Incredibly frustrating to watch considering I'm a neutral when I see the Spurs games. When he shapes up to kick it down the line and waits for players to run there...Gahh! He takes out about 6 or 7 other options out when he does that. He does it all of the time aswell.

Another for me would be Kenwyne Jones.
Who is he over-rated by?

Caporegime
Rooney (not lived up to the hype made after his 1 good season, should be moved to centre mid, berbatov and chicarito up front, whenever he plays up front he spends most of his time complaining, running about like a mad man, leaving nobody up front where he should be)
Shaun Wright Philips (shouldnt be playing in a top 4 team)
Van Persie (bottles it against top teams and is a crock, at the start of the barca match after his 1 scuffle with alves like 5 mins into the match, before the hand incident, i said one of them is going to be sent off, he didnt dissapoint)
Kyle Lafferty (all he can do is hack people)
Bougherra (he runs up the pitch like a rabid dog, leaving the back exposed, who is his partner? david weir a 40 year old, he should be there holding his hand, making sure he doesnt get caught out due to his non existent pace, but instead tells him to fend for himself)

Soldato
Rooney (not lived up to the hype made after his 1 good season, should be moved to centre mid, berbatov and chicarito up front, whenever he plays up front he spends most of his time complaining, running about like a mad man, leaving nobody up front where he should be)

While somehow managing to be the second highest scorer in the league over the past five years, contributing a bucket load of assists and putting in a absolute shed load of work tracking back and filling in.

Its amazing really, how he can be be so useless upfront, yet somehow score all these goals.

Just to annoy you even more, he is the joint 13th highest premier league goal scorer OF ALL TIME. (113 goals along with Ian Wright)

At 25.
Why on earth would you move one of the best strikers the league has ever seen and put him into midfield?

Last edited:
Caporegime
While somehow managing to be the second highest scorer in the league over the past five years, contributing a bucket load of assists and putting in a absolute shed load of work tracking back and filling in.

Its amazing really, how he can be be so useless upfront, yet somehow score all these goals.

Just to annoy you even more, he is the joint 13th highest premier league goal scorer OF ALL TIME. (113 goals along with Ian Wright)

At 25.
Why on earth would you move one of the best strikers the league has ever seen and put him into midfield?

He plays better in midfield, compare his scoring record with previous top dogs at man utd, up front.

Van Nistelrooy - 95 in 150
Rooney - 98 in 208
Ronaldo playing on the wing got - 84 in 196 (not far off Rooney)
Andy Cole - 93 in 195 (same as Rooney)
Dwight Yorke - 47 in 95 (same as Rooney)

the best striker the league has ever seen my ****, Cole and Yorke had the same amount of goals to games for the same club, so did Ronaldo who was a winger. Now take Nistelrooy, he managed the same amount of goals in 50 less matches.

for him to be considered their best ever striker, he would need to score another 100 in less than 100 matches.

what did he do at the world cup?

so what if he tracks back, so does Drogba for every corner and free kick. He is good on his day, but a lot of the time he mopes around, chasing the ball in the middle of the park, gets frustrated every 5 minutes, etc because Man Utd's midfielders are crap. So stick him in midfield and get rid of Gibson and Carrick.

Chicarito ---- Berbatov

--------Rooney------

Nani/Giggs-------------Valencia/Nani

-------Fletcher----------

That would work a lot better, he might even get more goals.

Soldato
*sigh* this what happens when you don't have a clue about football.

BOLLLLLLLLLL

(Just what I needed on Monday morning -thank you)

Psycho - just out of interest do you know the amount of times Rooney is played out of position by SAF in those 208 games? I would bet its a good 25% or approaching that kind of figure - for me that puts two factors in Rooney's favour;

1) He can still do a very good job for the team even in a position not favoured

2) His goal's to games ration (in his favoured position - so its like for like comparison) is actually much higher. Im wondering if any of hte other players mentioned were EVER played out of position.

Ronaldo was incredibly selfish as a player, and sometimes to the detriment of the result, maybe he deserved to be maybe he didnt - but personally I much prefer how Rooney and Berba are much more team players and will work together (and Chicarito also of course), rather than take every chance themseves.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom