LG 27GP850-B

Caporegime
I received this 2 days ago. Ordered on Amazon.it for €494.78, but delivered from Germany. No biggy right; HMRC hit me with £64.19 VAT before it could be released for collection and it seems the distributor computeruniverse GmbH(German supplier I'm guessing Amazon.it sourced it through) did not declare any VAT on their invoice accompanying the monitor. Further more, the gross total on the printed invoice was €371.65. So I guess either they owe me £64.19 or €123(approx. £106)
Check your invoice as emailed... it sounds like it will show ComputerUniverse as the seller rather than Amazon. In that case, unfortunately you are liable for VAT and customs charges in addition to the price you pay at the checkout. AFAIK, only "sold by and fulfilled by Amazon" orders have a VAT+customs deposit included in the checkout price.

You have to be really careful when buying from any Amazon store (inc UK) that you're not buying from a marketplace seller, that you're really buying from Amazon. You have to click the "8 new and used from €495" link to show all the sellers.

Soldato
OP
What’s the word on this monitor actually coming to the UK, been keeping my eyes peeled for a few weeks now but I’ve seen no news anywhere?

No idea but amazon italy have it back in for immediate shipment, sold by amazon too and a little cheaper than what a couple of us paid for it.

Caporegime
No idea but amazon italy have it back in for immediate shipment, sold by amazon too and a little cheaper than what a couple of us paid for it.
Amazon.de is even cheaper, by about £30!

What’s the word on this monitor actually coming to the UK, been keeping my eyes peeled for a few weeks now but I’ve seen no news anywhere?
Word on the Reddit street is sometime between July to September.

When I emailed LG UK about it they said they had "no idea" about a UK release date, just that it was being "trialled" in other regions before being sold in the UK. Whatever that means.

Btw LG will not honour a warranty on a unit imported from another country. So if you buy from Italy or Germany you have no warranty with LG, at all.

e2: Lastly, since Brexit, it's not 100% guaranteed that you would be able to enforce your consumer rights against Amazon Italy or Amazon Germany. So should the product becoming faulty (or arrive faulty) you a) have no warranty AT ALL with LG, and b) might have difficulty getting redress from the EU store you ordered from.

Brexit and your consumer rights - CCPC Consumers

Last edited:
Associate
Amazon.de is even cheaper, by about £30!

Word on the Reddit street is sometime between July to September.

When I emailed LG UK about it they said they had "no idea" about a UK release date, just that it was being "trialled" in other regions before being sold in the UK. Whatever that means.

Btw LG will not honour a warranty on a unit imported from another country. So if you buy from Italy or Germany you have no warranty with LG, at all.

e2: Lastly, since Brexit, it's not 100% guaranteed that you would be able to enforce your consumer rights against Amazon Italy or Amazon Germany. So should the product becoming faulty (or arrive faulty) you a) have no warranty AT ALL with LG, and b) might have difficulty getting redress from the EU store you ordered from.

Brexit and your consumer rights - CCPC Consumers

Where did you get this information from? Surely if you buy from Rainforest EU, they would step in if LG are being bellends?

Associate
Does anyone else have an issue in HDR with the joystick becoming unresponsive? Yes I know the HDR sucks so I'm not sure how many people use it, but I've had this happen to me three times now. After a random amount of time in HDR mode, the monitor joystick will become completely unresponsive and I'm unable to turn the monitor off without unplugging the power cable. I don't know exactly how to reproduce it since the first time took only 10 minutes of playing in HDR for the OSD to break, but today it took multiple hours. A few other people have reported this issue on the 32 inch model so it might be an issue with all new LG monitors.

Caporegime
Where did you get this information from? Surely if you buy from Rainforest EU, they would step in if LG are being bellends?
I presume you mean about LG's warranty?

A quick Google finds a fair few questions like this one:

International warranty — LG Community Forum

LGModerator1 said:
LG does not offer an international warranty. The warranty for the product would be specific to the region it was intended for use in. So a United manufactured for use in the US, would only have a warranty in the US.

You can also find the same information in comments on places like Amazon. LG only warranties their products in the countries they are sold in. To have warranty in the UK you need to buy in the UK.

Soldato
OP
Does anyone else have an issue in HDR with the joystick becoming unresponsive? Yes I know the HDR sucks so I'm not sure how many people use it, but I've had this happen to me three times now. After a random amount of time in HDR mode, the monitor joystick will become completely unresponsive and I'm unable to turn the monitor off without unplugging the power cable. I don't know exactly how to reproduce it since the first time took only 10 minutes of playing in HDR for the OSD to break, but today it took multiple hours. A few other people have reported this issue on the 32 inch model so it might be an issue with all new LG monitors.

It's happened to me a few times, have to switch it on and off at the wall.

Associate
I presume you mean about LG's warranty?

A quick Google finds a fair few questions like this one:

International warranty — LG Community Forum

You can also find the same information in comments on places like Amazon. LG only warranties their products in the countries they are sold in. To have warranty in the UK you need to buy in the UK.

surely rainforest EU would step in if a warranty claim needed or they would refund?

tbh the chance of failing in 2 years is low- I’ve had a LG tv for 3 years without issue and have a mammoth 6yr warranty!

if the monitor fails then so be it- will have to pony up another £399

Caporegime
surely rainforest EU would step in if a warranty claim needed or they would refund?
I'm not 100% sure. That link I posted earlier suggests that, since Brexit, it's not a sure thing that you'll be able to exercise your consumer rights, when importing between the UK and the EU.

For certain, the UK's consumer rights won't be applicable to EU sellers. Will non-EU citizens have the ability to exercise EU consumer rights when importing into the UK? Who arbitrates now, assuming the retailer wants to blow you off? You know how many retailers will say, "Sorry after 30 days you need to talk to the manufacturer." Yeah it's not legal but it happens, and then you need arbitration. How does that work now?

IANAL, but it seems like things are much more uncertain now.

e: So for example (from that earlier link) the UK small claims court can no longer take action against EU sellers, and the EU equivalent can no longer make judgements against UK sellers.

Last edited:
Associate
It's happened to me a few times, have to switch it on and off at the wall.

Thanks for the reply. I was going to order a replacement, but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle if other people are having the same issue. I've contacted LG and told them about it, do you mind doing the same? Hopefully it can be fixed with a firmware update.

Associate
I'm not 100% sure. That link I posted earlier suggests that, since Brexit, it's not a sure thing that you'll be able to exercise your consumer rights, when importing between the UK and the EU.

For certain, the UK's consumer rights won't be applicable to EU sellers. Will non-EU citizens have the ability to exercise EU consumer rights when importing into the UK? Who arbitrates now, assuming the retailer wants to blow you off? You know how many retailers will say, "Sorry after 30 days you need to talk to the manufacturer." Yeah it's not legal but it happens, and then you need arbitration. How does that work now?

e: So for example (from that earlier link) the UK small claims court can no longer take action against EU sellers, and the EU equivalent can no longer make judgements against UK sellers.

Presume they wouldn't sell to the UK if they couldn't offer some sort of consumer protection imo.

Can't get the 27GP 850 in UK, seems they want to sell us the more expensive 32 inch version (£499) with less pixel density (picture might be less sharp) for £100 more.

Don't think £100 is worth (in effect) a warranty for me- probably would put that towards another screen (I have ordered the 27GP850 off German site using the handy app on my phone by changing the country)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply. I was going to order a replacement, but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle if other people are having the same issue. I've contacted LG and told them about it, do you mind doing the same? Hopefully it can be fixed with a firmware update.

What page did you use to contact LG and I'll do it.

Associate

On my order it looks like *another* company offering 2 years parts and technical support (presume to counter the anti-consumer manufacturer's stance on warranty)

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Sorry if this is a lil off-topic , I hope those that are struggling to find one of these gets one soon. Calling those who did manage to luckily snag one of these like myself. Anyone managed to try out the motion blur reduction setting? I want to try it out but the option for it is greyed out in settings and I can't access it, anyone know under what condition this option is available? Something to do with frame rate overclocking or Gsync being enabled at the same time perhaps? Haven't been able to figure it out

Caporegime
Sorry if this is a lil off-topic , I hope those that are struggling to find one of these gets one soon. Calling those who did manage to luckily snag one of these like myself. Anyone managed to try out the motion blur reduction setting? I want to try it out but the option for it is greyed out in settings and I can't access it, anyone know under what condition this option is available? Something to do with frame rate overclocking or Gsync being enabled at the same time perhaps? Haven't been able to figure it out
Apparently you can't enable Adaptive Sync and/or 180Hz at the same time as blur reduction, in retail units.

Soldato
Those backlight strobing features have in general limited refresh rate range to avoid visible 60Hz CRT like flickering.
Also LG uses slow red phospor to improve gamut of backlight, which has issues with backlight strobing:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/ffvrvo/red_issue_with_nano_ips_panels/

Back
Top Bottom