Poll: ** LG 27GP950 AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER NOW - LIMITED AVAILABILITY **

Do you have any black screen issues?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Its been since the 28th that I updated the iCUE software from version 3 to version 4 I haven't had a single black screen. So hopefully this continues if I can go another week without issue then I think I will be calling mine fixed.

Soldato
I like to play for fun but do like to be somewhat competitive. Currently on a 24" 1080p 60hz setup so my questions are:
Is 60-100fps enough at 4k to have a smooth experience and make use of the 144hz? How much better is gameplay at 120fps and is it preferable to 4k for those who have seen both. How does the image fair on this monitor scaling from 1080p to 4k for more fps or playing at 1440p to make use of the refresh rate.
1920x1080 can be scaled "losslessly" into 3840x2160 by very simple operation:
Integer scaling expands every single pixel of source image to cover 2 by 2 pixels on monitor.
That makes pixels of image look bigger if watched closely, but literally can't cause any softness.

In addition there are better scaling&sharpening techs now allowing to avoid blurry/soft look of image when scaling from say 2560x1440 to 3840x2160.
With consoles using AMD's hardware and FSR having minimal implementation workload and as open standard working on any GPU, it's likely going to be found from about every coming multiplatter game.
Also GPU race in next year joining Intel will be bringing out more complex temporal data using open standard scaling tech.
(multiple images as extra source data using algorithms can do bigger resolution increase with good looking result)
Pretty certain AMD will be also updating FSR, or combine their efforts into one open standard with Intel.

There are also sharpening methods not needing any implementation in game and done later.
AMD has quite effective one.
Nvidia should have something similar, but can't be sure. (Jensen/Nvidia are crooked as corkscrew)

Openly available Reshade post processing injector can be used to do similar sharpening completely independent from game engine.
Multiplayer game anticheat detections likely don't like such post processing.

Anyway future is bright for having high resolution monitor and playing less demanding and those in which highest FPS doesn't matter games at native resolution, and then using scaling to play GPU heavy but high fps needing games.

Associate
Anyway future is bright for having high resolution monitor and playing less demanding and those in which highest FPS doesn't matter games at native resolution, and then using scaling to play GPU heavy but high fps needing games.

I'm very curious to see how Battlefield 2042 runs at 4K, since that'll probably be the most demanding game I'll play once I get the monitor/new rig

Associate
I hope it has no awful loud, whining fan and grainy coating like the 27GN950.

Edit:

Can't post an additional post because of post limit:

Which monitor do you have Bazza? I had 2 LG 27GN950. Fan noise was unacceptable. Very loud and whining, rattling noise.

Last edited:
Associate
The GP is really using a fan and the same panel with grainy coating?

I used for the 27GN950 the oc firmware with 160 hz. Not the release version and the fans were like i said above.

I dont accept such noises, especially not for monitors without good hdr (good fald + min. hdr 1000).

I see no reason why a cheap edgle led monitor, without Intel Arria 10 gx fpga (G-Sync DP 1.4 module) should have a fan. Other monitors with dsc + uhd 144 hz are also without fan.

Even the G-Sync DP 1.4 module is available without fan for PG259QN(R) and a barely noticable fan for AW3821DW.

Last edited:
Associate
It has the same holes like the 27GN950:

https://gzhls.at/i/30/71/2513071-n3.jpg

You can see the fan speed in factory menu.

Service menu:

-Power the monitor off with the joystick
-While the monitor is off, click the stick to the left 3 times and then to the right 1 time
-Power on the monitor with joystick

@SADS

No, it will show some preset settings and the fan speed.

Last edited:
Associate
It has the same holes like the 27GN950:

https://gzhls.at/i/30/71/2513071-n3.jpg

You can see the fan speed in factory menu.

Service menu:

-Power the monitor off with the joystick
-While the monitor is off, click the stick to the left 3 times and then to the right 1 time
-Power on the monitor with joystick

is this screen particularly dangerous?
is there any info on what each of the settings does?

Back
Top Bottom