Poll: ** LG 27GP950 AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER NOW - LIMITED AVAILABILITY **

Do you have any black screen issues?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
That is what I thought too.

Thanks for the feedback.

If you change the colour depth to 4:2:2 you should be able to hit 4k60hz.

The monitor you had before was 1440p60hz which is doable on HDMI 1.4.

For Desktops, nVidia 10 series (1060, 1080, etc) and later have HDMI 2.0, and can do 4k60 over HDMI. nVidia 30 series (3060, 3080, 3090 etc) have HDMI 2.1 and can do 4k120 over HDMI.

Laptops are a bit more complex as often some or all of the display outputs are not actually connected to the discrete GPU (when one exists), often some or all of them are on the IGP to save power (e.g. allow GPU switching).

Even the Intel 9 series CPUs are limited to HDMI 1.4, and can only do 30hz at 4k in full colour resolution. They can do 60hz at 1440p as you've discovered.

Associate
Hmmm i was looking through the OSD menu the other day to look at this black screen issue and under the freesync settings, it did scroll with some extra information about 'Flickering'.
I checked back to the manual online and it does state this:

Extended: Enable wider frequency range of Adaptive-Sync/FreeSync Premium Pro function than basic mode. The screen may flicker during the game play.
Basic: Enable basic frequency range of Adaptive-Sync/FreeSync Premium Pro function.
Off: Adaptive-Sync/FreeSync Premium Pro function off.

So I'm wondering if its to do with the selected range. I'm going to test is at the Basic setting for a bit and see if there's improvement.

The annoying thing is though, that the LG site shows that on DP, the operating range for "Basic" is 120hz-144hz.... which is outside of my 1080ti's ability because I am only on DP1.4 (without DSC), so I can only reach a max of 4k/120hz.....
It' just such a pain that you can't "just use" this monitor and its features, there's always something stopping you getting the fullest out of it in some way or another.

Associate
Hmmm i was looking through the OSD menu the other day to look at this black screen issue and under the freesync settings, it did scroll with some extra information about 'Flickering'.

Extended: Enable wider frequency range of Adaptive-Sync/FreeSync Premium Pro function than basic mode. The screen may flicker during the game play.
Basic: Enable basic frequency range of Adaptive-Sync/FreeSync Premium Pro function.

So I'm wondering if its to do with the selected range. I'm going to test is at the Basic setting for a bit and see if there's improvement.

The annoying thing is though, that the LG site shows that on DP, the operating range for "Basic" is 120hz-144hz.... which is outside of my 1080ti's ability because I am only on DP1.4 (without DSC), so I can only reach a max of 4k/120hz.....
It' just such a pain that you can't "just use" this monitor and its features, there's always something stopping you getting the fullest out of it in some way or another.

Interesting, I wonder how many people are suffering this on a 10 series card without DSC?

Hitting 4k120 without DSC do you need to use 4:2:2?

Associate

Good point. I've tried:

Changing power sockets - No difference
Changing power rings - No difference
Changing DP to HDMI - No difference
144hz vs 160hz - No difference
HDR vs SDR - No difference
DP 1.4 cable vs DP 2.0 cable - Being delivered today.
VRR Off vs On (Extended) - Only thing that prevents black screens.

I'll try basic VRR for a while and see if I can get it to happen. Typically only takes an hour.

Associate
Since getting my 27GP950, my old ROG Swift (1440p144) is to the left where my 2nd monitor used to be, on the same cable that was running my old 2nd monitor (1440p60). I have noticed that flickering to black every now and again, but had assumed it was that crappy cable and have not yet bothered to change it.

The LG has been fine tho.

Soldato

What an excellent find, so basically the extended mode isn't guaranteed to work? Just like the OC mode but it does beg the question does this need displayport 2.0 to be effective.

Soldato
So basically LG recommends we all should be using 144hz 4K 1.4 DSC with basic Freesync enabled.

This will allow all the features to be used but not 160hz mode that requires extended mode.

Edit

Another point why does default settings enabled extended then surely LG needs to state this in bold for people buying this monitor.

Use of 160hz mode might result in black screens.

Last edited:
Associate
So the DP2.0 cable was trash. Both on Basic VRR @144hz and Extended VRR @160hz it had a black screen every few minutes.

However... Basic VRR at 144hz using the included cable - working perfectly for about two hours now. I'll update if it black screens again.

Things that could make it worse
Changing DP cable

Things that make no difference
Changing power sockets
Changing power rings
Changing DP to HDMI
144hz vs 160hz
HDR vs SDR

Things that fix it:
VRR Off - weeks of testing
VRR Basic (144hz max) - 2 hours of testing

Soldato
So the DP2.0 cable was trash. Both on Basic VRR @144hz and Extended VRR @160hz it had a black screen every few minutes.

However... Basic VRR at 144hz using the included cable - working perfectly for about two hours now. I'll update if it black screens again.

Things that could make it worse
Changing DP cable

Things that make no difference
Changing power sockets
Changing power rings
Changing DP to HDMI
144hz vs 160hz
HDR vs SDR

Things that fix it:
VRR Off - weeks of testing
VRR Basic (144hz max) - 2 hours of testing

O dam I thought the cable really might make a difference :(
Thanks for trying that out. Tonight I will be switching to basic Freesync 4k

Are you using DP 1.4 DSC or just DP 1.4?

Associate
I'm still getting black screens, even in Basic mode.
But that's at sub 120hz... so effectively outside of the VVR range anyway... so weird.

OcUK Staff
OP
Right, they landed just over an hour ago and the vast majority of pre-orders have shipped already. The remainder should also ship before cut off.

Because of all the delays, to reward you all for your patience and understanding my colleague went through all the pre-orders earlier today and added a free 3XL OCUK Premium Elite Deluxe Tactical Gaming Surface for each order.

Due to the hour of the arrival of the stock I felt we just had to ship every unit with the shipping options selected at time of purchase (instead of waiting and allowing people to ring up to change to Saturday delivery if they so wanted).

Better them all shipping before cut off than them all missing cut off and everyone's not arriving until Tuesday.

I sincerely hope everyone enjoys their new monitors! I'm sure you will!

I'll make the remainder of the stock live for sale off the page on Monday.

Have a good weekend :cool:

Associate
Right, they landed just over an hour ago and the vast majority of pre-orders have shipped already. The remainder should also ship before cut off.

Because of all the delays, to reward you all for your patience and understanding my colleague went through all the pre-orders earlier today and added a free 3XL OCUK Premium Elite Deluxe Tactical Gaming Surface for each order.

Due to the hour of the arrival of the stock I felt we just had to ship every unit with the shipping options selected at time of purchase (instead of waiting and allowing people to ring up to change to Saturday delivery if they so wanted).

Better them all shipping before cut off than them all missing cut off and everyone's not arriving until Tuesday.

Thank you

Soldato

Sad face I would have taken one of them Haa

I waited close to 3 months for mine

Back
Top Bottom