LG 32UD99 HDR 4K FREESYNC GAMING/PROFESSIONAL HDR10 MONITOR NOW AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER!!

Associate
On the subject of HDR
As a content creator and someone who is a bit picky with their monitors I really dislike the way LG has handled both the launch and the advertising of this particular display. I do not have a problem if a display has limited HDR capabilities and if LG was up-front about what this monitor can and cannot display and it's limitations I'd be more inclined to buy it* (see below) but as it stands right now we just have a 1:1300 contrast ratio to go by and rumours about what color-spaces this display supports, we also need to know if it is true 10bit, 10 bit dithered or even still limited to 8bit as these things do matter. The whole HDR thing is a bit of a fiasco but because consoles (PS4 specifically) support it, it means we have to master for it *grumpyface*.

We also want to know what backlight technology this panel uses (W-LED, GB-R LED?, something else?), and if it uses any sort of local dimming, what type of local dimming and if this can be enabled and disabled by the user. I understand that all the monitor manufactures want to put HDR on everything but I really wish they were more honest about what's covered and what's not.

*As a game developer (Environment artist & lead technical artist working on Dead Matter) I need to make sure that our tonemapper works properly on various HDR capable displays, and doesn't 'limit' to sRGB on one and on the flip-side I need to make sure that we don't pack in too much range into it on displays that have limited HDR capabilities). I can work on a 10 bit display with proper colorspace support but limited contrast and this is why I'm interested in this display as my budget is limited to under £1k.

What's with the holdup?
Don't mind waiting, but please at least send these out to reviewers so we can decide which display we want to get and whether it's worth waiting for or getting something else.

No wonder so many people are picking up 4k TV's for gaming...stupidly expensive

TV's do not make good monitors, sure they work well for some uses but almost all 4k TV's utilize VA panels which when sat close too have issues with contrast and gamma shifting as well less strict quality control (you won't notice if colors are slightly uneven or there is a bit of clouding, an uneven backlight on a moving picture, but on a desktop you would) and many TV's introduce all sorts of video enhancing features which add input latency or even in worse cases add fringing or visual artefacts. Many will be ok with these issues and if you do console gaming or casual gaming on PC you might not notice but if you use your computer for any graphical work or look at a lot of still pictures it'll become a problem.

Monitors on the other hand are usually a bit smaller, have much better backlights, won't have image retention, need to have much higher standards of quality control and will most likely either use IPS, which is better for uniform colors and better viewing angles or TN, which looks awful but has the fastest response times making it great for competitive twitch gaming and e-sports.

Permabanned
If only this was more than 60Hz... At least 75Hz but ideally 100Hz or more. It would be perfect! Well, except for the crazy high price.

Man of Honour
Is this true HDR support?

Assuming we are talking about the defined Ultra HD Premium standard, the answer is, partly. It meets requirement for resolution (Ultra HD), and colour space just about with 95% DCI-P3. It has a suitable HDMI 2.0a connection too, but it does lack the necessary DisplayPort version (you'd need v1.4) if you wanted to run HDR over DP. HDMI will suffice though. It has support for 10-bit colour input, with an 8-bit+FRC output so that's also fine. Where it is missing the spec though is with peak brightness as it only offers 550cd/m2 peak brightness according to the ocuk spec, although I notice LG's websites are a little more vague with this spec. It would need 1000cd/m2 to meet the standards for an LCD screen. You will get some benefits of a boosted peak brightness but not the full experience of a model that does meet all requirements.

There's no talk about how they achieve the local dimming required to produce the HDR affect as well which means it will almost certainly be an edge lit display, which isn't ideal as it doesn't offer much granular control over the screen for HDR. Not as good as a proper full array local dimming backlight in the way it delivers HDR benefits

Associate
yes there will be stock coming this month - will be quite close to the end of the month but will be this month all the same

I know where the stock is going, and its assigned for OCUK (even if they don't have a PO on yet as I know they need it !!)

Associate
whats the thinking behind the lack of dp v1.4 ? thats like one less input that useful for me as i connect my pc via dp then my ps4 pro to hdmi 1 and cctv to hdmi 2 on my current LG monitor.

Also was wondering will it pass the PS4 pro hdr on test when you activate HDR on the ps4 pro?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom