LG 34GK950F vs Alienware AW3420DW

Man of Honour
OP
Gees. Looking at these too so very interested in outcome
I had to send them a picture of the service tag on the rear of the monitor, along with a written note of my details alongside it (to prevent fraud I assume). I have received a dispatch notice already. No tracking number yet provided so I've asked for one. But things seem to be happening fairly quickly. It looks like they will just hand me a new screen and I hand them my old one back (just the detached screen, not the base). I should have it in a day or two.

Going back to my old monitor reminded me how nice my old one was, but also how much better the new one is.

Caporegime
You moved from a dell UltraSharp right?
Would you still buy it now after using it a little while?

(ignoring the near death experience)

Man of Honour
OP
You moved from a dell UltraSharp right?
Would you still buy it now after using it a little while?

(ignoring the near death experience)
Yes I would. I moved from a Dell 3007 (30" 2560x1600) to the AW3420DW. I am not a fan of the curve and I do miss the vertical resolution. But in every other way the AW is far, far better. I don't regret buying it at all. I would buy again.

Caporegime
Yes I would. I moved from a Dell 3007 (30" 2560x1600) to the AW3420DW. I am not a fan of the curve and I do miss the vertical resolution. But in every other way the AW is far, far better. I don't regret buying it at all. I would buy again.

Sorry, one more, what made you go for the 20 over the 18?

Man of Honour
OP
Sorry, one more, what made you go for the 20 over the 18?
I preferred the design as my room and desk are white. But it had a better panel than the 18. It's an underclocked panel rather than an overclocked one. Finally the 20 was on offer when I got it.

There isn't a lot between them so if money is important then get the 18. Otherwise the 20 is newer and in my opinion slightly better.

Caporegime
I preferred the design as my room and desk are white. But it had a better panel than the 18. It's an underclocked panel rather than an overclocked one. Finally the 20 was on offer when I got it.

There isn't a lot between them so if money is important then get the 18. Otherwise the 20 is newer and in my opinion slightly better.

Thanks for replying I really appreciate it.

I think may go for the 18. Its 300 different.
300 is enough to build my desk. If it was 100 or so I'd go for the 20, but as I'm used to 60hz anyway I think

Dissapointed in the ports.
Only one display port might be a killer. Need to read the spec of them

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks for replying I really appreciate it.

I think may go for the 18. Its 300 different.
300 is enough to build my desk. If it was 100 or so I'd go for the 20, but as I'm used to 60hz anyway I think

Dissapointed in the ports.
Only one display port might be a killer. Need to read the spec of them
Both run at 120hz (my 20 defaulted to 60hz and I had to change it in the menu to 120hz). It looks like the 18 has both an HDMI and a DP port? The ports look pretty similar between the 18 and 20.

I'll probably be looking to get my son an 18 nearer his birthday. It's definitely the better value monitor.

Man of Honour
OP
Update on my replacement - It just arrived. I will set it up later to check it's working as I don't have time right now. It arrived 28 hours after I placed my warranty call with Dell. So far so good. They replaced the whole thing, not just the screen. I'll confirm later that the replacement works.

Man of Honour
OP
A further update and summary of the swap, in case anyone finds the Dell warranty experience useful:

Swap completed within 28 hours of calling them.
New monitor delivered by UPS.
Some slight confusion whether they would swap the entire monitor and packaging or just the screen without the stand, etc
They did actually swap the whole thing so it was handy I had packed it up.
New monitor works fine.
However the power cable is missing from the new monitor (luckily I have a few spares).
I have emailed Dell asking them to send a power cable.

Not 100% smooth but quick and a damn sight better than having to send it off to another manufacturer for repair.

Caporegime
A further update and summary of the swap, in case anyone finds the Dell warranty experience useful:

Swap completed within 28 hours of calling them.
New monitor delivered by UPS.
Some slight confusion whether they would swap the entire monitor and packaging or just the screen without the stand, etc
They did actually swap the whole thing so it was handy I had packed it up.
New monitor works fine.
However the power cable is missing from the new monitor (luckily I have a few spares).
I have emailed Dell asking them to send a power cable.

Not 100% smooth but quick and a damn sight better than having to send it off to another manufacturer for repair.

One of the reasons I always recommend the AW over the LG. It's likely and possible the LG wouldn't even have been picked up yet and you'd be monitor-less for a week or more.

Soldato
One of the reasons I always recommend the AW over the LG. It's likely and possible the LG wouldn't even have been picked up yet and you'd be monitor-less for a week or more.
I'm torn between these two monitors.

I currently have an X34 running at 100hz, the main reason for swapping is wanting a higher refresh rate.

The LG offers a 44hz boost over my current monitor while the AW is *only* 20, which makes me less able to justify the expense.

Saying that, the build quality, looks and warranty of the AW are big plus points over the LG.

Man of Honour
OP
Yes, the warranty warrant and service factor was a large part of why I chose the Dell and why I decided to put updates in here. Hopefully it is useful to others.

I'm torn between these two monitors.

I currently have an X34 running at 100hz, the main reason for swapping is wanting a higher refresh rate.

The LG offers a 44hz boost over my current monitor while the AW is *only* 20, which makes me less able to justify the expense.

Saying that, the build quality, looks and warranty of the AW are big plus points over the LG.
Honestly if the only reason to go for an upgrade is to get from 100hz to 120hz or even 144hz then I wouldn't upgrade yet. I would wait for something significantly faster or with other features you want.

But if it's only one of several reasons then that's a different matter.

Man of Honour
OP
This made me chuckle this morning... Dell support asked me to check the box for my missing power cable (fair enough, will check again in case I missed it). If it's really not there they will send me a new one if I send them a picture of the empty power port on the monitor. WTF ???? :p:D

Back
Top Bottom