LG 34GK950F vs Alienware AW3420DW

Associate
Good to know - thanks, what sort of frames do you get on games (any examples)? I was wondering about an 5700XT or waiting for the next releases.

Edit: https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/9054/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt-benchmarked-3440x1440/index5.html

Currently i'm mainly playing CODMW and see frame rates between 70 and 115 using MSI afterburner. In the Radeon software it reports an average FPS of 98 for CODMW. Have not really tried anything ele to be honest. I can test some games for you if you need me too.

Associate
I got this monitor the other day. I swapped out a Predator X35 that I was not happy with. Too much ghosting, even when scrolling forums, and FALD seems to me like "the emperors new clothes". FALD created a lot of halos, especially with subtitles and games with cursors. Not acceptable when you pay over $2000 for a monitor.

Anyway, I got the AW3420DW, and I'm happy. I calibrated it with a Spyder X Pro, and it looks really good. I use the custom color profile, and got the brightness set at 73%, contrast at 79% and RGB set at 82, 84 and 94. Of course, these numbers are worth nothing without the ICM profile. Can be found here: https://easyupload.io/0q0lxm

Gents if AMD drivers say Freesync is on, it is ON. Point is whats the range of it as is FS1 not FS2.
Also on the tech page states "Adaptive Sync - Nvidia Gsync" when clearly is using VESA Adaptive Sync and not Gsync module, which means 100% Freesync 1 monitor.

And that's the reason I boycott Dell, because got the NV marketing money to remove any reference of this monitor is FS compatible. Like quite a few others did namely Asus & Acer.
Anti consumer practices shouldn't be rewarded.
It has a G-sync module, otherwise it would just say "G-sync capable" in the Nvidia Control Panel.
It's also listed here, https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/
It has a VRR of 1-120.

Associate
I got this monitor the other day. I swapped out a Predator X35 that I was not happy with. Too much ghosting, even when scrolling forums, and FALD seems to me like "the emperors new clothes". FALD created a lot of halos, especially with subtitles and games with cursors. Not acceptable when you pay over $2000 for a monitor.

Anyway, I got the AW3420DW, and I'm happy. I calibrated it with a Spyder X Pro, and it looks really good. I use the custom color profile, and got the brightness set at 73%, contrast at 79% and RGB set at 82, 84 and 94. Of course, these numbers are worth nothing without the ICM profile. Can be found here: https://easyupload.io/0q0lxm

It has a G-sync module, otherwise it would just say "G-sync capable" in the Nvidia Control Panel.
It's also listed here, https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/
It has a VRR of 1-120.

Noob colour calibrator question.
Also just got my AW3420DW and enjoying it but feels a bit yellow tingy and looking to calibrate it.

What is the best process, From what I understand the monitor calibrators create an .icc profile which is fine for desktop stuff but doesnt apply in games etc.
I read it was best to calibrate the hardware (through the OSD menu etc) first to get as close as possible then create the .icc profile after.

How do you hardware calibrate it, i.e how did you get to your RGB values etc. is that through the spyder aswell or do you have to do it by eye?

Associate
Noob colour calibrator question.
Also just got my AW3420DW and enjoying it but feels a bit yellow tingy and looking to calibrate it.

What is the best process, From what I understand the monitor calibrators create an .icc profile which is fine for desktop stuff but doesnt apply in games etc.
I read it was best to calibrate the hardware (through the OSD menu etc) first to get as close as possible then create the .icc profile after.

How do you hardware calibrate it, i.e how did you get to your RGB values etc. is that through the spyder aswell or do you have to do it by eye?
The .icm profile is active in games here, but that could be the Spyder software's doing. I know this because I can turn the profile on and off with the software when I am ingame.

Quick googling suggests that there are other programs that can enforce the profiles in games, ie Monitor Calibration Wizard. I have not tried this myself.

I used the Custom profile on the AW3420DW to enter RGB values. That I did by eye.

Man of Honour
OP
Well that was unexpected... While wandering through Amazom Prime I stumbled across a film in 21:9. Sadly such formats are quite few and far between. 16:9 is the standard format and there are usually borders at the side on a 34" ultrawide. But full 21:9 is great on such a screen. It's like a cinematic experience. Wow :)

Man of Honour
OP
I've reveived a PM from someone asking for real life pictures of it in use. So here are a few. Please excuse the poor lighting throwing the colour off slightly. But it's in a small, narrow, room with only a tiny window at one end and one lightbulb (room not yet decorated) on a poor camera.

At the desktop:

N28hvAH.jpg

Two windows comfortably side by side:

mDoKxFN.jpg

Doom Eternal widescreen gaming:

0rXNQoB.jpg

Man of Honour
OP
** EDIT ** Just been pointed out to me that resolution scale is 45% in the screenshots. When I set it to 100% I get 90 fps to 110 fps sometimes 116.

Also as requested by someone:

aPwYveo.jpg

jfkewnH.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I've been offered the lg 34gk950f for £700 very tempted but have these monitors QC got any better and what are the failure rates like?

It's a lot of money to gamble if they are bad

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
I'm considering the Alienware AW3420DW and the new, just out LG 34GN850B. (which is the successor to the LG 34GK950F)

The 850 LG does 144hz+160hz OC'd, G-Sync, IPS, (3440x1440), Brightness 400, 98% of DCI-P3 color, DP1.4, HDR10, etc. Listed at TFTCentral....
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/lg-34gn850-with-34-ultrawide-ips-panel-and-160hz-refresh-rate/

It is not a review, as it is just coming to market May 20th.

I've currently got one one pre order, stock due in a few weeks.

Associate
I've currently got one one pre order, stock due in a few weeks.
Nice!! And damn, you're at 5.2 GHZ on your 8086k... :)

I just found another new monitor due in June, and it sounds really good... (I'm looking for ultra-wide for sim car racing)
The Agon AG353UCG, 35", 21x9, VA, G Sync, 4 USB3.1, 3 yr warranty, very fast refresh 160-200, HDR1000, close to 100% DCI-P3 color, BUT, SUPER expensive.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/15539/aoc-flagship-gsync-ultimate-monior-ag353ucg

Back
Top Bottom