LG 34GK950G, 3440x1440, G-Sync, 120Hz

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OP
This will be the first UW with Freesync 2 HDR, but the Samsung CHG70 monitors already offer Freesync 2 HDR in a 16:9 monitor.

I do wonder if the 950G might overclock past 120Hz using a custom monitor profile in the Nvidia settings in Windows, especially if you drop the chroma to manipulate the bandwidth. That said, I'm not convinced there is much real gain going from 120 to 144Hz.

Also, since the jump from 120 to 144Hz is likely minimal, and HDR600 is likely to be underwhelming (especially without FALD), I'm happy to take the older GSync module and save several hundred pounds on the basis that the new GSync module is a $500 part.

Soldato
I'm happy to take the older GSync module and save several hundred pounds on the basis that the new GSync module is a $500 part.

Actually the module is not $500. Is much more. The estimation was that the $2600 FPGA CPU used, could possibly cost Nvidia $500 on bulk order. (but could be much more).
The rest of the parts consisting the HDR Gsync module cost between $200 and $400 on their own. So the actual module could cost $1000 easily effectively maybe costing more than the panel itself.

Associate
I do wonder if the 950G might overclock past 120Hz using a custom monitor profile in the Nvidia settings in Windows, especially if you drop the chroma to manipulate the bandwidth. That said, I'm not convinced there is much real gain going from 120 to 144Hz.

Also, since the jump from 120 to 144Hz is likely minimal, and HDR600 is likely to be underwhelming (especially without FALD), I'm happy to take the older GSync module and save several hundred pounds on the basis that the new GSync module is a $500 part.
At least with G-Sync enabled, I definitely notice a difference in perceived blur @ 120Hz vs 144Hz due to the slight judder increase @ 120Hz. It's not a huge difference, but definitely noticeable.

Chroma manipulation would be a good idea for increased refresh rate options in ultrawide. For my own use, I'd only need 144Hz-165Hz @ 2560x1440p for online shooter competitive use (I prefer 16:9 for this purpose, regardless of FPS). For other games, I'd consider 120Hz sufficient.

@Daniel - LG - Any comment? Maybe these are ideas you could pass onto the engineering firmware team?

Associate
Last edited:
Associate
So guys, first Shops in Germany started selling the LG, the G-Sync model currently for 1345€, the FreeSync model for 1105€ (http://xitra24.de/eshop.php?action=article_detail&rid=gh&s_supplier_aid=8513445) http://xitra24.de/eshop.php?action=article_detail&rid=gh&s_supplier_aid=9324137

Edit: The modelnumber of the G-Sync model is slightly differrent then the one we were talking about, it has a -B at the end, @Daniel - LG is that a newer revision ?
Probably just the localized version (as in European).

240€ is the price of a subpar gsync module. And even vendor locked in. What a joke.

Associate
The good thing about this monitor vs X34p and the Alienware is that the panel will give you real 120hz (because it has been underclocked from 144hz).

I have seen in reddit many people complaining about the Dell saying that they can only get 110hz etc

So in theory this monitor will give us:
- Better contrasts
- Less BLB
- Better blacks
- 120hz for real

I would pay an extra 200-300 pounds for those improvements vs x34p and the Dell

Associate
The good thing about this monitor vs X34p and the Alienware is that the panel will give you real 120hz (because it has been underclocked from 144hz).

I have seen in reddit many people complaining about the Dell saying that they can only get 110hz etc

- Better contrasts
- Less BLB
- Better blacks
- 120hz for real

Can report I'm currently getting the desired 120hz on my Alienware! I've not actually seen people say otherwise, maybe I haven't looked that far. Are you suggesting 200-300 on top of current sale prices? Even so, there's no way I'd get behind a 1-1.1k LG monitor at this stage, with such minor improvements.

Last edited:
Associate
Same, not heard of any not hitting 120hz either.
I saw that yesterday 2 users in the same post talking about it it is too much coincidence

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/8yq0ni/aw3418dw_only_reaching_105hz_overclock/

I guess if it says OC 120hz they can´t guarantee that it will reach 120 or being stable etc

Another lottery ticket to add with the BLB one that is why I like the idea of a 120 underclocked panel at least you are 100% you will get 120hz

Last edited:
Associate

- Better contrasts
- Less BLB
- Better blacks
- 120hz for real

How much better contrast? like 1500:1 static?

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OP
https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidem...4gk950gf_listed_in_german_shops_and_ready_to/

So is the Gsync version 120 native or not? This is getting really confusing at this point.

Yes, the Gsync version is native (according to Dan the LG rep). The panel is actually 144Hz native, but is restricted to 120Hz due to limitations of DP1.2.

The information sheet in the reddit post has a date of 15 June 2018 in the footnote, so it would have been printed before that date. Daniel posted here on 14 June that the newer panel would be used, that is native 144Hz... very likely that the information sheet was finalised before the change in panel was finalised.

I would say that this thread is the best source of information on this monitor, thanks to input from @Daniel - LG

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OP
So guys, first Shops in Germany started selling the LG, the G-Sync model currently for 1345€, the FreeSync model for 1105€ (http://xitra24.de/eshop.php?action=article_detail&rid=gh&s_supplier_aid=8513445) http://xitra24.de/eshop.php?action=article_detail&rid=gh&s_supplier_aid=9324137

Edit: The modelnumber of the G-Sync model is slightly differrent then the one we were talking about, it has a -B at the end, @Daniel - LG is that a newer revision ?

This pricing is not good, and won't sell units in the UK versus the Alienware and X34P. This sort of news is breaking my resolve, as I can get the Dell for £640 with NHS discount and the current sale (which ends tomorrow).

@Daniel - LG can you give us any news on expected pricing, as you have been looking into this lately.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OP
I have a 1080ti but am thinking that the extra Hz on the freesync version would be better than a limited gsync one?

I don't think you'll notice a huge difference between 120 and 144Hz, and unless you can hold over 144 FPS constantly (which I doubt a 1080Ti can with all new games) then you will be better off with Gsync.

Soldato
I don't think you'll notice a huge difference between 120 and 144Hz, and unless you can hold over 144 FPS constantly (which I doubt a 1080Ti can with all new games) then you will be better off with Gsync.

Tearing has never bothered me to be honest so doubt I'm overly fussed.I had the Alienware for a while but sold it as I wanted something bigger. But I've been stuck on my 27" 60hz again since and as no bigger UW monitors seem to be on the cards I might just have to get another.

By going freesync I'm not tied into Nvidia and get the extra Hz. If and ever actually very competitive again then I would get to use the freesync too else is still just a higher Hz monitor. Urgh choices. NB wish someone would make an UW with more vertical height, 40" UW or something.

Back
Top Bottom