LG 42-inch OLED

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Mr Lewis delivery schedule email finally came through tonight, scheduled for this Saturday.

Can’t wait to upgrade my crappy 6 year old TN monitor. Have been hating going back to it after playing games on my TV (also and LG OLED).

That is good news at least, Mr Lewis took most of the brunt of sales with that early pre-order page!

Once you go from TN to OLED you will almost want to put the TN or IPS screen in the bin :p, its such a shame it took them a decade to bring Real high end viewing to gamers, desktop users, smaller living room or bedroom Users though.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Sounds like a new method has come out to test if you got the new Evo panel in the 42C2 or not.

'you can also check if your 42-inch LG OLED C2 uses an EVO panel opening the YouTube app from your television and putting “100% White Fullscreen” in the search engine and clicking on play. A white screen will appear, put the image mode to watch movies and we will turn to the side of the television, if it is EVO it will turn slightly pink, if not it will continue to look practically the same'

https://techunwrapped.com/not-all-l...t-that-the-manufacturer-insists-that-they-do/

Ill test mind tomorrow when I get it delivered.

Caporegime
Sounds like a new method has come out to test if you got the new Evo panel in the 42C2 or not.

'you can also check if your 42-inch LG OLED C2 uses an EVO panel opening the YouTube app from your television and putting “100% White Fullscreen” in the search engine and clicking on play. A white screen will appear, put the image mode to watch movies and we will turn to the side of the television, if it is EVO it will turn slightly pink, if not it will continue to look practically the same'

https://techunwrapped.com/not-all-l...t-that-the-manufacturer-insists-that-they-do/

Ill test mind tomorrow when I get it delivered.
Thanks I'll test mine tomorrow. If's it not an Evo panel I might drop RS a web note and ask for their views.

Associate
Received mine today and now that it’s properly dark I can see that uniformity on mine is not great.
Top right corner is brighter than the rest of the screen and left side is darker and has red tint.
It’s nowhere near as bad as the picture shows it but still visible.
Good and easy way to test uniformity is to display black picture (for example black video on YouTube) and up black level under brightness settings until it starts getting slightly grey.
I actually noticed the uniformity issue as I was playing a game so it’s not something I was looking for.
Very disappointed by this as my 55” BX has perfect uniformity and even my 6 years old B6 isn’t as bad.

8663-B526-AC1-D-45-B6-A694-341012-DD2741.jpg

Associate
Received mine today and now that it’s properly dark I can see that uniformity on mine is not great.
Top right corner is brighter than the rest of the screen and left side is darker and has red tint.
Good and easy way to test uniformity is to display black picture (for example black video on YouTube) and up black level under brightness settings until it starts getting slightly grey.
I actually noticed the uniformity issue as I was playing a game so it’s not something I was looking for.
Very disappointed by this as my 55” BX has perfect uniformity and even my 6 years old B6 isn’t as bad.

8663-B526-AC1-D-45-B6-A694-341012-DD2741.jpg

that looks bad I don't get that on my 55CX, it might be a software problem wait or replace it hope you get it fixed:)

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey,

Does the 42c2 have bfi at 120hz?

Thanks

No they removed it, apparently not enough people used it from what I recall seeing.

Get a replacement IMO. Would not setting for anything your not happy with.

Soldato
Thanks I'll test mine tomorrow. If's it not an Evo panel I might drop RS a web note and ask for their views.

Be curious to see what they say.

Amusingly that is the one benefit of a WBC panel. In some scenes like lots of snow / white or off Axis, with the EVO panel can see a pink tinge to the white.

Associate

Just checked mine and it does have slight pink tint at extreme angle more so than my BX as I compared it to that.

Associate
Whats the deal with this, what panel you might get, evo or not.

Surely if you're buying a TV that says evo on it you should be getting an evo panel.

Associate
Vincent confirmed there no 120hz bfi that's what I read

Booo! I like it on my friends c1. All the Del AW hype is sucking me into the screen game again. Got one on order now I'm starting to lean towards the 42c2. Really torn on this one and reluctant to buy both and return one.

Associate
Here’s another photo that shows the red tint on the left better.
The brightness uniformity seemed a little better this morning but the red tint is still there.
A36886-A3-891-E-4570-B3-C5-FB62883145-D6.jpg

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Just checked mine and it does have slight pink tint at extreme angle more so than my BX as I compared it to that.

I think you won the panel lottery and got an Evo panel especially if you are seeing pink at an angle, where did you get the TV from?

I would give it 50-100hrs usage to be fair or 2-3 weeks use, I know its not looking good atm but maybe after a few pixel refreshes the TV can look better. Lots of OLED owners had that uniformity issues over on avf forums, some said it went away and improved, for others it didn't improve so exchanged or refunded it, others lived with it. I won't be checking mine off the bat, if its effecting the picture quality in films etc after 2-3 weeks use then Id be inclined to send it back.

Take pictures of it every now and then for proof though for the retailer and its worth opening a dialogue with them to get the ball rolling just in case.

I hope it improves considering you won the evo panel lottery.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Whats the deal with this, what panel you might get, evo or not.

Surely if you're buying a TV that says evo on it you should be getting an evo panel.

There's 2 good websites here to show you the issue:

https://kbench.com/?q=node/231152

Basically LG said were sorry you might not get next generation latest OLED panels in your 42C2 or other C2s, they are just using up older stock and the issue will be fixed this fall. So LG basically says you get Evo when you don't.

Associate
I think you won the panel lottery and got an Evo panel especially if you are seeing pink at an angle, where did you get the TV from?

I would give it 50-100hrs usage to be fair or 2-3 weeks use, I know its not looking good atm but maybe after a few pixel refreshes the TV can look better. Lots of OLED owners had that uniformity issues over on avf forums, some said it went away and improved, for others it didn't improve so exchanged or refunded it, others lived with it. I won't be checking mine off the bat, if its effecting the picture quality in films etc after 2-3 weeks use then Id be inclined to send it back.

Take pictures of it every now and then for proof though for the retailer and its worth opening a dialogue with them to get the ball rolling just in case.

I hope it improves considering you won the evo panel lottery.

I would rather have the older panel that’s uniform than newer that looks like this.
While it is true that uniformity can improve after a few panel refresh cycles (and I’m already seeing an improvement after it’s done it’s first one last night) the red tint will not disappear.
Purchased it from RS and will be contacting them regarding the issue today. Like I said it looks worse than my 6 years old B6 that has 15000 hours on it.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I guess its up to LG to now propose what the state of play is, as you may get a proportion of people buying the panel who are not enthusiast or looking to use it as a gaming monitor however if people are sharing how to spot issues and its deemed misleading advertising I wonder what the vendors are doing? Unless this is quite common with displays/TV's.

Back
Top Bottom