LG 42-inch OLED

Caporegime
I know it's such a pathetic minor thing, but manually turning off the TV with a remote everytime I started or turned off my PC would be an annoyance if I was using this as a desktop monitor.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Haha yeah a lot of money.

You can get wired ones for around 1000 but will need a separate amp and pre amp...
Never really been an audiophile anyway. I am happy with my Edifiers which do the job just fine. Only way I would drop that kind of money on speakers is I had a few paid off houses with no mortgage, that’s how low on the priority they would be :cry:

Associate
OP
So the 42" C2 LA finally is available to order to I just placed the order and it should be here tommorow.
I could wait till black friday but due to very unfortunate circumstances going around in my life, waiting is not really an option.

Speaking of audio... My Klipsch Heritage headphone amplifier and Klipsch HP-3 Walnut would look damn sexy next to my glossy OLED screen :p

Caporegime
It at least switches itself off doesn't it.

Having to switch it on is a small price to pay for the image quality.

Yes, it does power down after a while.

My C9 does have a sleep timer, which you can set to 10 mins as the minimum but i'm not sure when that kicks in

Other than that it has a 2 hour power off!

I opted for the Alienware OLED desktop monitor instead.

Soldato
On brightness levels, not really finding it a massive issue. In living room where I also have OLED, would love for it to be brighter to be honest at times, but up close turned down 42" quiet a bit as its otherwise in your face for brightness to be honest. At least games and messing round so far.

I think I’ll pass :cry:

I wish it was those, but even if I could get those without being crucified further :o, way too big and twice the size of what I got, the LSX's. Even then due to coupons and what have you grabbed them for £650 vs normal £1k. Still not cheap, but by time go separates and all that and get matching AMP / DAC etc. These are a simple nice solution and do sound great.

@Radox-0 setup looks great, grats!

Thanks for the feedback on text clarity and ppi. When you've had some time I'd love to hear your further feedback on how you find it for productivity stuff, for example keeping scaling at 100% or increasing to 125% for e.g., whether it being a flat screen and not curved is an issue when reading text at outer edges, whether the glossy screen and reflections are a problem etc.

Thanks again, and enjoy!

P.S. damn nice speakers, what stack are you using there?

Yeah will defo keep you posted as I work with it next few days. Still trying to find the perfect setup and config with it for work. Likewise on reflections, by the time I set it up yesterday was fairly late so could control lights in the room and ones behind me were off which made it a non-issue. Through window is SW so will see later as sun sets more how bad it gets :D:o

Speakers are the KEF LSX so active speakers. Stack on side is a Schitt (not that one :p) stack for headphones. DAC splitting into Solid State and Tube Amp.

Soldato
So the 42" C2 LA finally is available to order to I just placed the order and it should be here tommorow.
I could wait till black friday but due to very unfortunate circumstances going around in my life, waiting is not really an option.

Speaking of audio... My Klipsch Heritage headphone amplifier and Klipsch HP-3 Walnut would look damn sexy next to my glossy OLED screen :p

Wishing you all the best and enjoy the screen!

Soldato
So what is the deal with WBE and WBC? Scammed? Should I cancel the order? Vincent mentioned this and WBE is more resistant to burn-ins?

Its the type of Panel used. LG started moving panels to a WBE technology, deuterium based on some models. If I recall, last year C1 77" up defo got them. 65" and 55" were a mixed bag some got it and some did not. Possible in longer run may be better to have a WBE panel. Hard to tell what impact will be. On the 42" I think LG is mitigating issues with the overall less brightness and more compensation cycles. In use I think most users will tone down brightness further anyways

Nice and congrats. Hope all good on whatever is going on. Will be good to see what other settings users dial in :)

Associate
OP
Its the type of Panel used. LG started moving panels to a WBE technology, deuterium based on some models. If I recall, last year C1 77" up defo got them. 65" and 55" were a mixed bag some got it and some did not. Possible in longer run may be better to have a WBE panel. Hard to tell what impact will be. On the 42" I think LG is mitigating issues with the overall less brightness and more compensation cycles. In use I think most users will tone down brightness further anyways

Nice and congrats. Hope all good on whatever is going on. Will be good to see what other settings users dial in :)
Sometimes I wonder what LG is trying to do with such different panels on same models. Reading the comments section on YT from Vincent his video have gathered me more info on this.
So pretty much disappointing. Either take or return it without opening the box. But then again, my LG A7V is about 3.5 years old and still no burn-in or changes in picture. It's one of the last FHD OLED.

I think it's safe to say LG will simply use the old tech from last year in current year models, that's how they do business.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I wish it was those, but even if I could get those without being crucified further :o, way too big and twice the size of what I got, the LSX's. Even then due to coupons and what have you grabbed them for £650 vs normal £1k. Still not cheap, but by time go separates and all that and get matching AMP / DAC etc. These are a simple nice solution and do sound great.
At £650 I would consider it if I could perceive a night and day difference in quality. For me it needs to be about the quality, not volume as I rarely use them high volume and ones I got are more than loud enough for my needs. Maybe some day I will look into it, as could be the case of you don’t know what you are missing until you have tried it.

But yeah, that is a sweet setup you got there, enjoy :D

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Sometimes I wonder what LG is trying to do with such different panels on same models. Reading the comments section on YT from Vincent his video have gathered me more info on this.
So pretty much disappointing. Either take or return it without opening the box. But then again, my LG A7V is about 3.5 years old and still no burn-in or changes in picture. It's one of the last FHD OLED.

I think it's safe to say LG will simply use the old tech from last year in current year models, that's how they do business.

Equally baffling, so WBE is Evo panel and WBC is the older panels..... yet the LG C2 48" comes with the newer Evo WBE panels.... and yet LG tune all panels so they look the same anyhow.

VT needs to clarify this WBE and WBC or is it Evo or not business.

Associate
OP
Equally baffling, so WBE is Evo panel and WBC is the older panels..... yet the LG C2 48" comes with the newer Evo WBE panels.... and yet LG tune all panels so they look the same anyhow.

VT needs to clarify this WBE and WBC or is it Evo or not business.
Exactly. What the hell is this bullcrap practices! This smells false advertising. Currently not sure if I should swap the 42C2 for 48C1 or not. We have 30 days to try.

Soldato
On one hand want to know what Panel I got, on the other, too lazy to take panel off the wall to see the serial number as all wired is so living in ignorance :p

but defo odd, got EVO stamped all over the box. Even has a bunch of stickers in the box about it being Evo

eLIfLQ1.jpg

My "thoughts" here is LG Display uses the term EX for WBE panels. But LG Electronics (who makes the TV) has never specifically confirmed EVO panels meant EX panels, AFAIK they were always refusing to answer that question when raised, though I may have missed something.

Exactly. What the hell is this bullcrap practices! This smells false advertising. Currently not sure if I should swap the 42C2 for 48C1 or not. We have 30 days to try.

I think main thing with it all really is the 42" is there if you really have a limit size wise and the 48" would not work. I think if 48" works for you then makes more sense.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
But its confusing, surely they knew the newer true WBE/Evo panels have less burn in risk, last longer and better brightness which is designed for monitor and gamers ie the 42" panel..... and then they stick the worse panel on it anyhow.

The issue is LG changed the naming and coding so you can't see what panel you got in the service menu, Vincent has to use that special machine just to see if its an WBE Evo or older WBC or the panel from 1-2 years ago, so its almost as if LG knew people would check if they got Evo or not and redacted it before anyone noticed.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Radox: Oh yeah you can see the serial on the box to confirm what panel you got maybe.

Under the barcode it should say similar: OLED42C2.DUSPLJR

Its after the dot . part the 4th letter if it says Q or Y its WBC or P & W is WBE evo panel

https://youtu.be/u8mHS5eM57I?t=243

Hopefully you got the Evo panel

Soldato
I got a Q, dang it :p

That said while annoying, with 6 year warranty, can throw it in there face as a reason if I get burn I suppose on that time. From brightness aspect I expect they have limited them all regardless of panel, similar to last year with same model which had both WBC and WBE panel. Still makes this whole EVO stuff look like absolute nonsense.

Will be annoyed though if on larger C2 I got on order comes with a WBC panel as last years C1 77" and above all came with new panel.

Associate
Looks like it's available to straight up order from JL now, although they've joined everyone else in bumping the price back up to £1399.

And ofc for some reason my pre-order still hasn't been processed for delivery or anything yet.. :(

Anyone else have a JL order and heard anything?

Edit: I'm dumb and looked at the 48".

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I got a Q, dang it :p

That said while annoying, with 6 year warranty, can throw it in there face as a reason if I get burn I suppose on that time. From brightness aspect I expect they have limited them all regardless of panel, similar to last year with same model which had both WBC and WBE panel. Still makes this whole EVO stuff look like absolute nonsense.

Will be annoyed though if on larger C2 I got on order comes with a WBC panel as last years C1 77" and above all came with new panel.

darn it, was hoping otherwise id cancel my Curries and go with Mr Richer even with the extra £200 price difference it would be worth it.

Yeah VT did say in that vid LG would limit them all so they appear and respond the same. Maybe over thinking it still.

If you do get any burn in which should be impossible at this point almost.... chances are high RS will pay or give 50% price towards an LG OLED swap out anyhow, maybe that panel will have Evo at least matching their description specs.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Looks like it's available to straight up order from JL now, although they've joined everyone else in bumping the price back up to £1399.

And ofc for some reason my pre-order still hasn't been processed for delivery or anything yet.. :(

Anyone else have a JL order and heard anything?

I think you might have seen the 48" one, that ones in stock currently and £1399. The 42" is still £1299 and 1 week away on pre-order.

I think all 3 big suppliers will probably be shipping out units in the next week or two, since we know Mr richer has them in stock already (42")

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom