LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Caporegime
I don't believe the Sony supports G-Sync. There is no reason it technically COULDN'T, but every likelihood it never will. Sony have never showed much interest in this feature. Buying the Sony would be a big risk if you're hoping for support later down the line, unless Sony officially say that it will be coming. Otherwise, the LG would be the far better choice.

Shame in that case. It would be another option/alternative to the LG CX.

Associate
Decided to take the plunge on this one. Testing with a glossy laptop screen makes me think reflectivity won't be a problem and that's my only real concern.

Arriving Saturday, looking forward to it.

Caporegime
I'd be surprised if it doesn't support some kind of VRR, isn't it a PS5 feature? Strange if their new flagship TV doesn't support their new flagship console's features?

Guaranteed that it will have VRR, they would be mad if it didnt. But that doesnt mean it will have Gsync though.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
yes
i did previously see 12BPC but you can only get that at <2560x1440 due to bandwidth

•8-bit color = 2^8 x 3 = 2^24 = 16.7 million colors
•12-bit color = 2^12 x 3 = 2^36 = 68.7 billion colors

Hopefully with the newer nvidia gpus they support 10bit @ 4K/120 hertz and hopefully Windows 10 fixes its hdr issues by then also I still use my Pc as my main media portal and hub so kinda need it to support the LGs better hdmi 2.1ish specs.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
lol just saw it pop up on my emails over the weekend. it is afterall the exact same LG panel isnt it? Just perhaps better processing and features (albeit it at a higher cost)

I said the same thing mentioning the Sony 48 oled few pages but it appears sony really does not think ahead or care much for its design or customers, this is not the first time they have done this on the Sony A1 out of the 4 hdmi ports they decided to make 2 of them hdmi 2.0 and the others lesser hdmi, I am guessing 1.4 hdmi ports. Even Samsung has done similar out of all the hdmi ports they made only one hdmi port with 2.0b and the rest lesser so then you are stuck if you have multiple AV that need to make use of a feature.

Really manufacturers should not be skimping and trying to save every last penny and at least make it a bit better maybe 2 or 3 ports at least out of 4 for example.

LG at least seem to be giving customers the full package and less skimping.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Does anyone know when Curries promo exclusive LG deal expires for sure ?

I now read today it's a 3 month exclusive deal and not 2 month deal, so that means September for rest of UK to stock 48CX.

Seems other retailers are advertising and pre-order accepting the Sony oled 48 ridiculously expensive set already and the LG 48cx is limited to that one exclusive place.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Shame in that case. It would be another option/alternative to the LG CX.

I have read (may not be true!) someone said they were at curries place and saw the Sony oled 55" and compared it to the LG CX 55" and they said the Sony was better colour wise. We also know Sony in general are very good if not the best at motion processing compared to Samsung, LG and Panasonic.

From what I have read and I could be off here:

Samsungs = Very good all round everywhere and the brightest picture quality
LGs = Very good all round for tvs and especially OLEDs
Sonys =Best motion processing and excellent upscaling
Panasonics = Best out of box picture display due to their holly wood calibration partnership.

imo LGs oleds (cx series) for picture, sound, price and all round specs can't be beat so it's my no1 choice for a new telly.

I have spoilered this post since I do not want an LG CX screen smashed over my head

Soldato
lol just saw it pop up on my emails over the weekend. it is afterall the exact same LG panel isnt it? Just perhaps better processing and features (albeit it at a higher cost)

Usually, the more processing a TV does, the higher the input lag. One of the best things about the LG CX is the 13ms input lag.

That said, probably best for a Sony 48" OLED thread to be made, to keep things clean....

Soldato
You mean compared to other OLED panels? The input lag on the LG is it's only let down, it's certainly not its best attribute as 13ms is in class 3 when considering input lag.

Input lag varies on the CX though by resolution and i think there is a limit on what they can achieve on a consumer tv, it's not a gaming monitor at the end of the day.

1080p @ 60 Hz

14.1 ms
1080p @ 60 Hz Outside Game Mode

97.5 ms
1440p @ 60 Hz

14.3 ms
4k @ 60 Hz

14.1 ms
4k @ 60 Hz + 10 bit HDR

14.0 ms
4k @ 60 Hz @ 4:4:4

14.1 ms
4k @ 60 Hz Outside Game Mode

97.5 ms
4k @ 60 Hz With Interpolation

93.4 ms
8k @ 60 Hz

N/A
1080p @ 120 Hz

7.4 ms
1440p @ 120 Hz

7.4 ms
4k @ 120 Hz

What it is: Lowest input lag possible for a 4k @ 120Hz input signal.
When it matters: Console gaming and PC gaming.
Good value: < 25 ms
Noticeable difference: 15 ms
Learn more
11.6 ms
1080p with Variable Refresh Rate

6.4 ms
1440p with VRR

6.7 ms
4k with VRR

11.6 ms
8k with VRR

N/A
Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM)

Yes

Soldato
I've played with mine a lot more recently and have settled on new settings for Game mode with "instant response". Feels incredibly responsive compared to my old LCD, really helped on tight situations in R6 recently. It's especially noticeable once running 1080P@120. Deeply impressed by this TV.

Caporegime
Input lag varies on the CX though by resolution and i think there is a limit on what they can achieve on a consumer tv, it's not a gaming monitor at the end of the day.

1080p @ 60 Hz

14.1 ms
1080p @ 60 Hz Outside Game Mode

97.5 ms
1440p @ 60 Hz

14.3 ms
4k @ 60 Hz

14.1 ms
4k @ 60 Hz + 10 bit HDR

14.0 ms
4k @ 60 Hz @ 4:4:4

14.1 ms
4k @ 60 Hz Outside Game Mode

97.5 ms
4k @ 60 Hz With Interpolation

93.4 ms
8k @ 60 Hz

N/A
1080p @ 120 Hz

7.4 ms
1440p @ 120 Hz

7.4 ms
4k @ 120 Hz

What it is: Lowest input lag possible for a 4k @ 120Hz input signal.
When it matters: Console gaming and PC gaming.
Good value: < 25 ms
Noticeable difference: 15 ms
Learn more
11.6 ms
1080p with Variable Refresh Rate

6.4 ms
1440p with VRR

6.7 ms
4k with VRR

11.6 ms
8k with VRR

N/A
Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM)

Yes

To be fair that puts a lot of gaming monitors to shame if they are the actual figures.

Soldato
I've tested a 1000 pound acer ips panel next to my lg oled, both set to 120hz using a mouse. Maybe it's my imagination, but it felt like the oled tv was more responsive and faster and there was definitely much less ghosting mouse trail behind the mouse pointer on fast movement.

Soldato
Panel response and ghosting has nothing to do with input lag, that is panel response time. And moving the cursor around isnt gaming or playing a shooter.

Depends what type of game you are playing. I have a 77" C9 and I've taken my PC into the living room and it feels slower to me than my £1000 acer 4k 120hz, though only 1440p on the TV which looks awful at less than half the TV's native resolution. I can notice the difference but I've been playing shooters for 25 years so maybe I'm sensitive to it. Game types other than shooters it wont be noticeable and console shooters have aim-assist.

Those Rtings scores to me aren't that clear where 120hz is tested, then VRR separately, but I'm unsure if any of these scores are 120hz & VRR at the same time - dunno what that'll do to the scores if anything. Maybe I read it wrong. A C|net review of TV input lag shows much greater lag times too. Confusing.

Soldato
This screen can't really be judged at it's full potential until we get 4k@120Hz with Gsync/Freesync. It'll be close to Xmas by the time I've managed to evaluate that, and even then, if new GPU prices are too high then I won't bother.

I'm happy to play 3rd person at 4k with reduced settings to maintain 60fps, but I'm not enjoying 1st person as I play them with K&M and that requires higher frame rates, especially on a screen so large/close. Dropping to 1440@120Hz only works with some titles as it can look washed out on others.

I know this is a PC forum, but I have to say I'm enjoying 4k HDR content from Amazon & Netflix - the availability has really improved big time. I'm finding it difficult to watch HD content now that I've seen the 4k stuff at it's full potential. That's a big reason I went for this screen, it's a terrific all rounder in terms of gaming and video content.

Anyway, just some Nightshift rambling. :)

Soldato
This screen can't really be judged at it's full potential until we get 4k@120Hz with Gsync/Freesync. It'll be close to Xmas by the time I've managed to evaluate that, and even then, if new GPU prices are too high then I won't bother.

I'm happy to play 3rd person at 4k with reduced settings to maintain 60fps, but I'm not enjoying 1st person as I play them with K&M and that requires higher frame rates, especially on a screen so large/close. Dropping to 1440@120Hz only works with some titles as it can look washed out on others.

I know this is a PC forum, but I have to say I'm enjoying 4k HDR content from Amazon & Netflix - the availability has really improved big time. I'm finding it difficult to watch HD content now that I've seen the 4k stuff at it's full potential. That's a big reason I went for this screen, it's a terrific all rounder in terms of gaming and video content.

Anyway, just some Nightshift rambling. :)

I know what you mean, the OLEDs and the motion handling and response times are so good that other encodes and remuxes of 4k content really show up the pitfalls in quality in some encodes. You really do have to pick the right encodes and remuxes that essentially are much larger in file size.

Gonna borrow a 4k console off a mate when he gets one of the new ones when he goes on hols. Been bag, headphones and girt telly!

Associate
Is anyone using this with a desk clamp? seems huge to have on a desk with the stand..

No, I would not trust it on a desk clamp either, a solid, quality wall mounted arm?, sure, but hell no a desk clamp....

People are using these, as they are inexpensive, reliable, look neat and tidy and most importantly, take the screen further back to be closer to the wall to gain a few extra inches from your eyes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FITUEYES-U...ords=table+top+tv+stand&qid=1596190328&sr=8-5

Back
Top Bottom