LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Soldato
Does anyone know when Curries promo exclusive LG deal expires for sure ?

I now read today it's a 3 month exclusive deal and not 2 month deal, so that means September for rest of UK to stock 48CX.

Seems other retailers are advertising and pre-order accepting the Sony oled 48 ridiculously expensive set already and the LG 48cx is limited to that one exclusive place.
It seems to be over, I have seen two store marking it as in stock and the others for pre-order.

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
It seems to be over, I have seen two store marking it as in stock and the others for pre-order.

Yup most places have got it, if anyone wants it make sure to look for this model : OLED48CX5LC and try selfridges they do it the cheapest @ 1.4k but don't know about their warranty.

Curries model version has the 6 in it.

Sadly I have found out JL will not be stocking them till September+

Still, in 3 weeks we should have Sonys 48 oled also available, I am intrigued to see some A/B comparisons or reviews but probably won't happen for a while.

Associate
I’m set on going OLED for my next monitor. I’ve been too disappointed in current monitor releases and their price to performance ratio (£2500 for the X35?).

I’m holding out until January to see if LG announce anything smaller, and then I’ll go from there. 40~inches would be perfect but if I have to go 48 I will.

Soldato
I’m set on going OLED for my next monitor. I’ve been too disappointed in current monitor releases and their price to performance ratio (£2500 for the X35?).

I’m holding out until January to see if LG announce anything smaller, and then I’ll go from there. 40~inches would be perfect but if I have to go 48 I will.

If a smaller OLED gets released, I'll buy that too and wall mount my 48CX for 3rd person gaming & movies. I would love an ultrawide OLED for first person gaming and desktop use.

Associate
If a smaller OLED gets released, I'll buy that too and wall mount my 48CX for 3rd person gaming & movies. I would love an ultrawide OLED for first person gaming and desktop use.
Yes! an OLED ultrawide would be brilliant. I’m currently on an X34P, and my key worry is missing 21:9 (as well as possible burn in..), but I think it’s time to move to a truly high end panel

Soldato
Yes! an OLED ultrawide would be brilliant. I’m currently on an X34P, and my key worry is missing 21:9 (as well as possible burn in..), but I think it’s time to move to a truly high end panel

I've been playing Death Stranding & Star Wars mostly so I've been sitting back with my feet up and a controller. However, I'm going to pick up Doom Eternal soon and see what I think of first person stuff but I'm considering playing at 21:9 with a custom resolution.

The problem with first person is that 60fps isn't much use for K&M so I'm pretty much avoiding it until more powerful cards are available that will give higher 4K refresh with Gsync. That's the trouble with future proof purchases, you need to wait for the future to get the best from them! :p

Associate
I've been playing Death Stranding & Star Wars mostly so I've been sitting back with my feet up and a controller. However, I'm going to pick up Doom Eternal soon and see what I think of first person stuff but I'm considering playing at 21:9 with a custom resolution.

The problem with first person is that 60fps isn't much use for K&M so I'm pretty much avoiding it until more powerful cards are available that will give higher 4K refresh with Gsync. That's the trouble with future proof purchases, you need to wait for the future to get the best from them! :p
I typically use Controller on PC, so 60fps is fine. But 4K is still and will carry on to be hard to drive, even more so now Raytracing will be more widely introduced in games with the next-gen console support.
As far as future proofing goes (), this could be the first gen I know of where you can get an incredible display, to cover all of your requirements, at the start of the gen. HDMI 2.1, HDR and 120hz. These CX’s are primed for the PS5/Series X.
Another reason to go for this over a monitor!

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Really good overview of the TV as monitor!

thx that is perhaps the best review I have seen, guy nailed all the key points very well and included his fav settings and some nice tweaks.

He also suggested a wall mount would be better and to use a deep desk that is 75cm or deeper to accommodate the bigger viewing area of the LG oled.

Just like he does I also do similar tend to watch from over 1 metre away, it feels the sweet spot to me anyhow, and he felt it also.

Only bad thing I noticed is he said when in PC mode the LG 48cx goes auto dim after 3 minutes and this is preventing burn in
but there is no way to turn this off?

Can LG 48cx owner this ? Since that is madness if its true

Soldato
thx that is perhaps the best review I have seen, guy nailed all the key points very well and included his fav settings and some nice tweaks.

He also suggested a wall mount would be better and to use a deep desk that is 75cm or deeper to accommodate the bigger viewing area of the LG oled.

Just like he does I also do similar tend to watch from over 1 metre away, it feels the sweet spot to me anyhow, and he felt it also.

Only bad thing I noticed is he said when in PC mode the LG 48cx goes auto dim after 3 minutes and this is preventing burn in

Can LG 48cx owner this ? Since that is madness if its true

I can definitely vouch for having it wall mounted as I have my TV like that & bring in the desk from time to time to put in front of it. It's the best way to frame the display properly. And vis-a-vis the ultrawide discussion earlier it is also perfect if you want to use the TV with a 21:9 resolution.

The dimming, that's ABL (auto brightness limiter), afaik it could be disabled in the past through the service menu but not sure for the CX. Not really recommended though as you're not bound to keep it without burn in for long in that case.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I can definitely vouch for having it wall mounted as I have my TV like that & bring in the desk from time to time to put in front of it. It's the best way to frame the display properly. And vis-a-vis the ultrawide discussion earlier it is also perfect if you want to use the TV with a 21:9 resolution.

The dimming, that's ABL (auto brightness limiter), afaik it could be disabled in the past through the service menu but not sure for the CX. Not really recommended though as you're not bound to keep it without burn in for long in that case.

Does the ABL not kick in if you are playing a PC game or watching a film via VLC player for example ? that would be pretty odd seeing the image fade while watching film

Yeah I agree with wall mounting, which wall mount unit did you go for ? I was looking for ones with a 5mm gap from wall to TV due to LGs bit on the back.

Last edited:
Associate
Does the ABL not kick in if you are playing a PC game or watching a film via VLC player for example ? that would be pretty odd seeing the image fade while watching film

Only got this yesterday so haven't played about enough to notice on this monitor, but on my older B6 (living room TV) the ABL kicks in after a few minutes of a static image on screen, e.g. pause movie/game, and gets brighter once you have significant differences in what's being displayed, e.g. when you un-pause what you are watching.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeah I don’t believe it kicks in unless it detects a large white area on the screen for an extended period like for office or desktop use. Shouldn’t do it for games or movies any more than it would for any other input or device

Associate
Does anyone know if Black Frame Insertion can help with preventing burn-in?

To my untrained eye it's the best blur reduction method I've ever seen. All the ULMB monitors I have ever used have had lots of crosstalk but I see absolutely none here at all, so it might be the mode I use in preference to G-Sync.

Soldato

Yeah I agree with wall mounting, which wall mount unit did you go for ? I was looking for ones with a 5mm gap from wall to TV due to LGs bit on the back.

I have something like this. You want it to have some flexibility with positioning, up/down, left/right, tilt etc.

reflecta-plexo-100-9060t.jpg

Associate

This kills it being a pc monitor for me. My C8 does it on my living room HTPC, I only use it for desktop use 1% of the time and thats annoying enough.
They need to strip this down into a dedicated PC monitor. Take out all the smart stuff and tuners, add a display port and package it better for desk use.

Soldato
This kills it being a pc monitor for me. My C8 does it on my living room HTPC, I only use it for desktop use 1% of the time and thats annoying enough.
They need to strip this down into a dedicated PC monitor. Take out all the smart stuff and tuners, add a display port and package it better for desk use.

Having used mine for a couple months, I don't notice the auto dimming. I don't run mine anywhere near full brightness for desktop use though if you did, you'd notice it. That said, full brightness for desktop mode is insanely bright, especially on white areas, you'd be damaging your eyes using it this way!

As always, I'd suggest going and testing a CX to see how you like it.

Soldato
Does anyone know if Black Frame Insertion can help with preventing burn-in?

To my untrained eye it's the best blur reduction method I've ever seen. All the ULMB monitors I have ever used have had lots of crosstalk but I see absolutely none here at all, so it might be the mode I use in preference to G-Sync.

I believe so, as it's constantly changing the pixels from whatever colour they were displaying to black. Over a long period of displaying the same colour per pixel, this will most likely have a massive affect.

BFI (black fame insertion) is one of the main big features that the CX gains over the C9 (C9 can't do BFI @ 120hz), and it's an awesome feature. Running mine on auto and it really does smooth everything out, though most noticeable in fast moving games.

Back
Top Bottom