LG CX (C10) OLED 2020 Thread

Yes dolby content is fine as it has a dolby decoder.

The CX dropped the DTS decoder which the C9 had. My question is what happens to content with a DTS soundtrack from streaming services? Does it play with sound?

Surely all streaming movies and shows can't all be in dolby? Maybe it is...

Can't believe LG dropped support for DTS.

Ohh, sorry. I don't even own a single bluray let alone a bluray player so I have no idea. I'm a dirty streaming heathen

Yes dolby content is fine as it has a dolby decoder.

The CX dropped the DTS decoder which the C9 had. My question is what happens to content with a DTS soundtrack from streaming services? Does it play with sound?

Surely all streaming movies and shows can't all be in dolby? Maybe it is...

Can't believe LG dropped support for DTS.

Disney +, Netflix, Prime, Apple tv + are all Dolby, (these are the ones I use). I think most if not all streaming services use Dolby.

And if you have blurays with DTS, in my case via an OPPO203 they output as multichannel pcm 5.1/7.1. This can be a bit of a grey area though, as some bluray players audio capabilities can be different.

Yep basically just means you need to have a media player with the DTS decoder.

Cost cutter for LG on a top end TV, would be understandable on a lower tier model.

Yep basically just means you need to have a media player with the DTS decoder.

Cost cutter for LG on a top end TV, would be understandable on a lower tier model.

Multichannel pcm sounds pretty decent, so I don't miss DTS at all, it's a shame LG dropped it though, I don't think they are the only TV manufacturer to drop it either.

Multichannel pcm sounds pretty decent, so I don't miss DTS at all, it's a shame LG dropped it though

isn't multichannel pcm conserving the full quality of the dts, but, as an uncompressed signal just needs more bandwidth .. or are we talking loss of carrying atmos type data. ?
(dropping/disabling it if the streaming services don't use it anyway seems like an anti-piracy strategy)

isn't multichannel pcm conserving the full quality of the dts, but, as an uncompressed signal just needs more bandwidth .. or are we talking loss of carrying atmos type data. ?
(dropping/disabling it if the streaming services don't use it anyway seems like an anti-piracy strategy)

Not sure, I find it all rather confusing myself.

So I was sitting there in my living room chair, playing Vermintide 2 at 4k with all eye candy maxed out with a PS5 controller on the OLED when it hit me... I have pretty much reached peak gaming. I mean seriously, you cannot even begin to compare any trash LCD monitor to an OLED screen in terms of image quality.

I was battling ratmen down in underground caverns and it was pitch black in places, yet you could still see the red glow of the enemies eyes as you came towards you in the dark, or the subtle shadows cast by distant torchlight. The black levels are so far superior to gaming on an LCD that it's pretty shocking to experience what you have been missing all this time.

I am running at a super smooth and consistent 4k60 and I can see no blurring or smearing... there is so much eye candy going on that every now and then I just stop and look around marvelling at things. Vermintide 2 was already a good looking game for its age and genre, but on an OLED screen it's like you have enabled some magic hidden settings. :eek:

OLED is absolutely stunning. Next level ****. :D

So I was sitting there in my living room chair, playing Vermintide 2 at 4k with all eye candy maxed out with a PS5 controller on the OLED when it hit me... I have pretty much reached peak gaming. I mean seriously, you cannot even begin to compare any trash LCD monitor to an OLED screen in terms of image quality.

I was battling ratmen down in underground caverns and it was pitch black in places, yet you could still see the red glow of the enemies eyes as you came towards you in the dark, or the subtle shadows cast by distant torchlight. The black levels are so far superior to gaming on an LCD that it's pretty shocking to experience what you have been missing all this time.

I am running at a super smooth and consistent 4k60 and I can see no blurring or smearing... there is so much eye candy going on that every now and then I just stop and look around marvelling at things. Vermintide 2 was already a good looking game for its age and genre, but on an OLED screen it's like you have enabled some magic hidden settings. :eek:

Sounds like pc gaming looks so good you simply watch often. Took only ten years on console

Nothing much has changed unless you get the G1

They may of sorted all the apps out on the new models but I have not looked into it

My hope was the C1 might have resolved some of the flickering issues found with VRR on the CX. I’m not too fussed about the additional brightness of the Evo panels - frankly my eyes already struggle with my E8 and HDR. There’s a retailer in the UK already selling the C1 with stock...annoyingly poor finance offers for payment though.

Still debating whether to get a CX now with the deals or wait six months and get a 2021 model. Arghhhh :D
Wait six months to pay 50% more than a current CX in the the 'hope' that they have fixed flickering VRR issues? Not the best decision imo.

Sounds like pc gaming looks so good you simply watch often. Took only ten years on console
Que?

Its strange you say that because Last of Us 2 and God of War look better than 90% of pc games and they've been out a few years.

Well, there are a gazillion more games out for PC than for PS4/PS5 combined then of course those select few heavily developed console titles that have many millions pumped into them then they are going to have more effort put into them than many PC titles. As consoles now use x86 hardware there is no 'significant' difference between developing a PS4/PS5 game and a PC game other than the level of graphical fidelity they can cram in before they run out of horsepower, which is of course limited by the fixed hardware inside a console. That means they can often put a ton of detail into characters and environments, but the penalty is generally the draw distance or number of NPC's or whatever sacrifices they need to make to balance things out and make the most of what they have.

If those games were (as some are, such as Mordor and HZD) ported to PC then on good hardware they would generally always look better as you could then remove the limited horsepower from the equation and crank up the settings. The best looking games on PC are far above the best looking games you can get on console as a result of that. I'm not sure why we are even discussing this, it's just a matter of record.

PS: TLOU2 has only been out since June last year.

I'm too scared to hook my PC up to the TV due to fear of burn in (ultimately made me get a AW3821DW instead) but I am really tempted to hook my PC up to the downstairs TV and play on some OLED goodness. I heard the HDR use in RDR2 is great and I wouldn't mind playing that again

Back
Top Bottom