LG DM2780D 27" 3D monitor

Associate
I've recently bought the DM2780D and stumbled across this forum after experiencing the ghosting problems. I contacted LG yesterday via the online chat and was assisted by a very helpful person called Jonathan who has now arranged to send out my replacement gasses. I emailed my receipt from amazon to LG last night and he rang me this morning just to take the serial number and to confirm the despatch. Happy days :)

I'm grateful to those who have posted earlier in this thread as LG seem to be on the ball now and I did'nt even have to make a single phone call.

Overall I'm delighted with the monitor the 3D is very good even if I have had to tilt my head a little, hopefully this will be rectified when the new glasses arrive. The included TriDef software detected all installed games it also picked up google earth which looks amazing in 3D.

Despite the glasses **** up I would recommend this screen. Its a cheap(ish) entry into 3D.

Associate
I'm super interested in this TV/monitor. I've been looking for something I can hook my old PS2 up to, as well as serve as my main monitor.

Just want to confirm, the only problem you guys are having with it is that LG sent out the wrong glasses? Aside from that, are there any other quirks I should know about before purchasing?

Also, regarding the native 2D->3D conversion, does it work in all environments? As in, will it work while I'm just sat looking at the desktop, or more importantly, when I've switched over to TV mode to play some PS2 games? Thanks.

I would'nt advise using 3d for just looking at the desktop as the text does appear fuzzy. The 2d-3d conversion is a bit iffy and not something i will be making much use of. When watching any source in 2d-3d the screen size seems to be auto adjusted and black bars of about 1cm appear either side of the picture. The picture seems to be chopped off a bit at either side as if the under/over scan needs adjusting but there is no option that i have found to do this. Nothing I have watched yet convinces me this is a worthwhile feature.

Sound is adequate at most but I have used the spdif out.

I had to buy a VESA adapter kit to mount it on my cantilever wall bracket which was only VESA 100.

Personally I bought this for 3d BLURAY and the odd bit of 3d gaming on PS3. Its replaced an old 23" digimate and I'm very pleased with it. I hope some euro 2012 will be broadcast in 3d.

Associate
Hi could you do me a favour and see if the 3D is ok from 6ft away?

I can get about 5.5ft away and you still get a good impression of depth to the image. My position is generally about 2 to 3ft away usually. If I was going to be sitting that far away I think I would go for a minimum of a 37" screen.

Its not quite as in your face at 5ft but more than acceptable unfortunately I'd already shelled out on a 40" bravia last year.

My overall impressions of broadcast 3d is its more about depth of image than things poking you in the eye. The best purchase I've made to demo the set is despicable me which looks fantastic. I wish the screen was double the size now but just could'nt justify the price when 3d is still generally perceived as a gimmick. I've also found a new appreciation for google earth which looks fab in 3d.

Soldato
I can get about 5.5ft away and you still get a good impression of depth to the image. My position is generally about 2 to 3ft away usually. If I was going to be sitting that far away I think I would go for a minimum of a 37" screen.

Its not quite as in your face at 5ft but more than acceptable unfortunately I'd already shelled out on a 40" bravia last year.

My overall impressions of broadcast 3d is its more about depth of image than things poking you in the eye. The best purchase I've made to demo the set is despicable me which looks fantastic. I wish the screen was double the size now but just could'nt justify the price when 3d is still generally perceived as a gimmick. I've also found a new appreciation for google earth which looks fab in 3d.

Thanks ezydog for helping ;)
I would love a bigger screen but my old GTX 295 is not up to it.

EDIT=One last thing it says on the LG website that it can turn a tv channel from 2D to 3D I.E BBC is this true?
Sorry about asking things but I have had bad dealings LG

Last edited:
Associate
Hey I just got mine. The glasses I received seem to be the same cinema 3d ones everyone got, but they work fine in 2d -> 3d mode. Don't have any actual 3d games or videos to try out any of the other 3d modes though.
Didn't realise the monitor doesn't support DVI so I can't hook it up to my PC yet, but playing mariokart on my GameCube in 3d was actually OK :D.

Associate
hi everyone well ive had my m2780d for a fair while now at first i got the wrong glasses in the box with it the ones with cinema on the side and eventualy got the correct ones sent off lg and for a 27 inch for gaming using tridef that comes with the monitor and watching movies i cant fault it for the price also deuse was asking how it is at about 5 feet i can lie on the bed across the room and the movies look real nice also ive got a 42 panasonic viera in the living room downstairs with passive glasses and i can honestly say this monitor gives it more than a run for its money and for £256 quid is a bargain in my eyes i hope this helps some of you guys make your decision if its for you or not

Associate
Noticing A LOT of lag/input delay playing on my consoles, in both 2D and 3D, which is quite disappointing. Makes fighting games damn near impossible to play. I'll see how things go playing over HDMI when my new card comes.

Can anyone comment on how the 'bad' Cinema 3D glasses looked in 2D -> 3D conversion mode. I can't try the tridef 3D yet to know if I've got the bad glasses or not, but in 2D -> 3D mode the glasses seem fine.

Associate
got a fool on hotukdeals saying the standard glasses work and so do realD ones, told hime not to give people incorrect advice and his foolish comeback was they do even though most of us have posted there aswell. oh I dislike people who dont read, think i must be tired after nightshift lol

Associate
Hi guys. Managed to have a chat with an LG guy (online chat) just now, and have forwarded him my details and invoice. Guess I'm just waiting to hear back from him now. While talking though I managed to grab this link off him for anyone who's interested in buying additional pairs of the '3D monitor glasses':
http://www.4mylg.co.uk/cgi-bin/product.pl?PID=2487163&brand=&model=ebx61528101&part=

Those appear to be the correct ones ending in 101 and not 301.

Associate
tobsmonster2 ive been following the thread with the right glasses off lg your good to go i even bought a set off zalmans why i was waiting on my replacements but as normal sods law they turned up the next day but for a discounted 3d tv monitor there well worth the money

Associate
Yea the guy I spoke too is sorting out a pair of those for me; not sure when they're coming though. I was gonna do the same as you with the Zalmans :D, but I decided I'll just wait. Don't wana spend £15 extra when I'm not sure I'll even enjoy the 'proper' 3D.

Associate
when i got my replacement i waited about a week for them to get them in stock from china and at that time they had ordered 160 pairs 80 for customers like myself and they were popsted out first class normal post i think lg should be compensating everyone over this its a joke isnt it but all in all i love mine as playing games withtridef is decent enough a decent product besides the glasses issue

Back
Top Bottom