LG DM2780D 27" 3D monitor

Associate
Not all 3D monitors have to be tilted back to reduce the ghosting. The Samsung T27A950 and S27A950 don't have to be tilted at all, but they're active 3D and not passive.

Active 3d is a completely different issue as screen displays full image for each eye alternately so any ghosting issues would only be a problem with the shuttering system and angle of view would be irrelevant.

With passive 3d then there's a requirement that the path from the pixel to the eye passes through the correct polarizing line (so can be filtered by the polarized glasses so is only seen in correct eye) and that there's no "bleed" into the neighbouring polarizing line. I think problems with this will be more pronounced with monitors than TVs since due to the distance between screen and eyes there will be a much greater different in angle from pixel to eye on monitors which may make it more likely to get this bleed causing ghosting.

Soldato
I'm not getting this at all. I have the LG D2342P monitor, 3D is great, no ghosting\crosstalk, I dont have to tilt the monitor at all, tried it tilted and straight and saw no difference with 3D. I get excellent 3D with Tridef or Nvidia 3D discover, whichever I choose to use, i am sitting 2-3 feet from the screen with my eyes probably just above the middle and all is good. I paid £129.99 del. for this monitor and couldn't be happier. I did buy it to try out 3D before spending a lot more on a tv and to be honest I have been well chuffed. I have also found this monitor to be excellent in 2D. I have now bought a 3D TV based on what I have experienced with this monitor and from what I have seen on friends 3D tv's. I have actually gone for active 3D on my tv as I found a great deal which suited me perfectly. I'm sorry a lot of you guys appear to be having bad experiences with the LG 3D monitors but I have to say that is not the case for me.:)

Associate
got to test mine out with the glasses now, I wonder how much difference I will see between the lg and my Iiyama ProLite E2773HDS. I hoping none at all in 2d games as this is worrying as I play fps games like tf2 and cs, hope there aint too much lag if any.

Associate
has anyone had there replacement glasses yet i rang yesterday and they said there due in from korea and they have ordered 120 pairs and sixty people like myself are to have them sent out recorded delivery. i have been using mine still its far from unuseable as long as your seated right the ghoasing nearly goes away but it will be nice when the proper ones land

Associate
Apart from the glasses issue, I too am pleased with the LG DM2780D.

I would have preferred it if I was able to use the RealD type glasses for 3D just for ease of replacement.
(Which for many, is one of the swaying factors leading to purchase of this incorrectly marketed monitor). Naughty naughty LG.

3D wise - It has served well enough to convince me that 3D will be a consideration in my next main TV purchase - what 3D format? the jury is out on that.
Thankfully it will be a couple of years before I need to decide. Till then the monitor will suffice for 3D games.
(I have yet to sit through a full length movie though I have had a look at quite a few now.)

Associate
Apart from the glasses issue, I too am pleased with the LG DM2780D.

I would have preferred it if I was able to use the RealD type glasses for 3D just for ease of replacement.
(Which for many, is one of the swaying factors leading to purchase of this incorrectly marketed monitor). Naughty naughty LG.

3D wise - It has served well enough to convince me that 3D will be a consideration in my next main TV purchase - what 3D format? the jury is out on that.
Thankfully it will be a couple of years before I need to decide. Till then the monitor will suffice for 3D games.
(I have yet to sit through a full length movie though I have had a look at quite a few now.)
Thanks for the review. What are the viewing angles like in 2D and 3D? I'll probably get the monitor either way, but I'd still like to hear opinions :p.

Associate
I think you would be better off getting a dedicated monitor for 3d rather than the tv, mind I still want to know what people have found with the response times for fps games 5ms um will inotice it over my 1ms iiyama 27. btw I aint unpacked since its first failed test with wrong specs.

Associate
Thanks for the review. What are the viewing angles like in 2D and 3D? I'll probably get the monitor either way, but I'd still like to hear opinions :p.

OK - for 3D the vertical angle is limited/critical you want to be ideally square on (90 deg) to centre of screen with +10 or - 5 degrees before crosstalk will appear(guesstimated angles) - below -5 deg the screen dims as well.
Horizontal angle 3D not a problem even at est 45 deg.

For 2D vertical angle you get obvious dimming effect at 20 deg (est) below square on with no dimming above square on.(i.e if you sit on the floor the screen will be a lot darker)
horizontal 2d angle has no probs.

? If I didnt already have it would I still buy it: Yes - even though I am well aware this is a sell off item for LG.

Associate
It's taken ages to get my glasses sorted with LG for my 2780

The 3D seems pretty good though, its better than I expected. To me its a bit of a gimmick, not something I would be really that happy gaming in but for films it seems pretty damn good.

Only real issue I've seen is with high contrast images, tends to create a bit of fuzzyness.

All in all I'm well happy with the monitor, LG support sucks though ;)

Associate
fred when did you get your replacement glasses im still waiting on mine sadly. ive even just ordered a pair of zalmans off ebay for 11 quid they work perfect i beleave.. well just recieved my new monitor glasses of lg totaly eliminates the prob altogether so now im a happy man

Last edited:
Associate
Seems like they got their Korean delivery :)

Makes a huge difference with the correct glasses, rotating real 3D glasses doesn't come close!

Associate
I'm super interested in this TV/monitor. I've been looking for something I can hook my old PS2 up to, as well as serve as my main monitor.

Just want to confirm, the only problem you guys are having with it is that LG sent out the wrong glasses? Aside from that, are there any other quirks I should know about before purchasing?

Also, regarding the native 2D->3D conversion, does it work in all environments? As in, will it work while I'm just sat looking at the desktop, or more importantly, when I've switched over to TV mode to play some PS2 games? Thanks.

Associate
I'm super interested in this TV/monitor. I've been looking for something I can hook my old PS2 up to, as well as serve as my main monitor.

Just want to confirm, the only problem you guys are having with it is that LG sent out the wrong glasses? Aside from that, are there any other quirks I should know about before purchasing?

Also, regarding the native 2D->3D conversion, does it work in all environments? As in, will it work while I'm just sat looking at the desktop, or more importantly, when I've switched over to TV mode to play some PS2 games? Thanks.

My experience with the DM2780D has been completely unfavorable even with the correct 3D glasses. In 2D there are fine horizontal lines visible that make the display appear interlaced and in 3D the crosstalk is the worst I've ever seen. Other people in this forum have posted similar experiences.

Associate
Haven't seen any horizontal lines on mine, and only real crosstalk issue in 3D was with the wrong glasses, or if you have the wrong viewing angle on the monitor.

Back
Top Bottom