LG DM2780D 27" 3D monitor

Soldato
hey guys, I've bought one of these monitors and it should be arriving with me on Tuesday. A thread about the glasses keeps getting mentioned but I can't find it. Can someone let me know where it is please?

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
Wrong Glasses - Crosstalk, Purple Ghosting issue

Just sent off the online contact email form
https://wws.lg.com/uk/support/contact/support-message.jsp?countryCd=uk

---------- about your Message (Drop down box selections) ---
type of Inquiry : Parts and Accessories
Product Class : IT Products
Product Type : Monitors
Model Name/ Number : DM2780D-PZ
--------- message -----------------------------------------
Wrong Glasses supplied. (Crosstalk - Purple Ghosting issue)

The Glasses that were supplied with this monitor are the type intended for the LG 3D televisions(Cinema 3D).
This monitor requires glasses of the type that are made specifically for LG 3D Monitor.

The ones supplied suffer from Purple Ghosting (Crosstalk)
and can only be used by tilting your head 45 degrees to the left,
(to eliminate Purple Ghosting/Crosstalk).

Bought from Amazon UK - 3 Feb 2012. Serial Number xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Can you make arrangements to get me the correct glasses as I am otherwise happy with the DM2780D-PZ.
I would hate to be forced (albeit begrudgingly) to return it to Amazon.

Regards,
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
------------------------------------------------

Awaiting LG's response

EDIT: the purple ghosting (Crosstalk) problem illustrated here http://www.tridef.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1518&p=8356#p8356

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
hey guys, I've bought one of these monitors and it should be arriving with me on Tuesday. A thread about the glasses keeps getting mentioned but I can't find it. Can someone let me know where it is please?

Thanks

I think this thread has basically turned into the thread about the glasses.

When I get some solid info from LG, I will update the OP.

Associate
i have the same issue with the same monitor.

The white glasses and the clip on glasses supplied with the monitor, also bought from the rainforest
The 3d still is noticeable but to an annoyance of some purpleness and a sore neck, keep this post updated! :D

On a sidenote can someone direct me to the correct glasses that i need to buy, because i cant be hassled to wait to be honest.

Last edited:
Associate
Response from LG

Just sent off the online contact email form.....
......Awaiting LG's response

Got a response from LG Customer Care. heres the important bit
Based on the information you have provided me with and reading through your query, I can advise you that I have created a file on our system with all your information. If you could please send in a copy of the receipt to xxxxxxx(at)lge.com and quote your reference number xxxxxxxxxxxxxx. We should then be able to arrange for the correct glasses to be sent out.

Ive sent off the required stuff (and included a delivery address) -
Awaiting response.
Will post back ......

Last edited:
Associate
Found this

** Additional 3D glasses are sold separately."

Sounds good! Sign me up! Just one problem. There was no information included with the monitor, that I could find, about how to buy more glasses. Searching for the glasses model number (FPG-2000) that was printed on the glasses kit box, I was unable find any major retailers listing these glasses for sale. I contacted LG Customer Services for help and their recommendation to me (and others) was to purchase the LG AG-F200 which are the glasses sold for the LG Cinema 3D TVs which also use passive technology. These glasses are readily available at a reasonable cost and as it turns out, are optically superior to the monitor glasses (i.e. no distortion).

Too bad they are not fully compatible with the monitor.

The history of 3D polarized glasses is a very long one. This is not new technology folks. To work, the type of polarization used (linear or circular) and the orientation of the polarization (horizontal, vertical, 45 degrees, etc.) of the glasses must match the standard used by the image source. As you might guess, there have been many different standards over the years, and it turns out, the standard that LG uses for their 3D LCD TVs just happens to be different than the one they use for their 3D LCD monitors.

In practice using the LG 3D TV glasses with the LG 3D monitor works... sort of. Many images with high contrast suffer from mild to severe purple ghosting.
At the time this was written, there are no OEM LG monitor glasses available for sale from any major retailer. So what are the current options for owners of the D2342?

- Use the glasses that came with the monitor - just don't lose them! - and put up with the poor optical quality.

- Buy and use the LG's TV version of the glasses, which are optically distortion-free but suffer from increased ghosting.

- Hack the TV version of the glasses to make them compatible with the monitor. The resulting glasses will be pretty ugly and fragile since the rotated lens material will need to be cut and the resulting lens will no longer fill the eyeglass frame. (I've already tried this and was not happy with the results.)

- Acquire a pair of polarized glasses designed for the Zalman 3D passive monitors. It has been reported (but not confirmed by the author) that these glasses are compatible with the LG D2342. I've seen them for sale for $20-$35 from various on-line vendors.

The last option is probably the most reasonable (assuming it works). If I get a pair I'll report about it here. In the meantime it's hard to understand if the problem with the supplied glasses is because of a manufacturing error, or due to penny pinching to meet a desired price point for the monitor package. But what possible excuse is there for not making it easy to buy additional pairs of glasses?

Last edited:
Associate
So the issue is also on the smaller monitors not just the dm2780d mate was ur monitor branded as cinema 3dtv monitor or just 3d monitor as mine and a few others that have the 27inch are branded as cinema 3dtv and no mention of monitor on it anywhere?

Soldato
OP
I have updated my review on rainforest site to 1 star.

I still like the screen, but it's getting on my nerves that something as simple as getting a cheap pair of glasses out of LG is becoming such a chore.

It just seems to be pot luck in who you speak to meaning you either get helped quickly, or not at all.

Soldato
OP
Keep hassling them by email and apparently they have correct glasses on order.

Not good enough though in my opinion. I want to be able to let others know how to get this sorted easily (like some have), and also want to be able to find out if they will be selling replacements somewhere - because what happens if any correct ones they send me get broken?

Will keep hassling them by email....

Associate
and also want to be able to find out if they will be selling replacements somewhere - because what happens if any correct ones they send me get broken?

That is also assuming any that we get sent out will be of the correct (monitor) type as well;)
Nobody as yet has received anything to test !!!

Of course it is within the bounds of possibity that it was the correct Glasses that were sent out with the wrong display panel !!!! :)
(Given the Cinema3D branding of the packaging and on the LG site - plus their denials of there being more than one type of passive 3d specs.)

Back on the serious side...
Using Cinema3Ds or Real Ds - As well as the purple Ghosting (Crosstalk) there is a more subtle and perhaps unnoticed effect when viewing 3D movies, - that of spectrum shift.
Looking at the bluer scenes in 3D movies (Dolphin Tale,Avatar) you can see the scene is shifted towards purple - correctable by doing the 45 degree thing to restore colours.
(@eyetrip - I know you wont perceive that - you may notice a small difference in brightness though)

LG Update - there is nothing to update since my previous post.
Awaiting Response after sending ref no/ receipt etc....

Associate
Glasses will soon be available to buy from our spares department Connect, you can contact them on 0844 5570260
Also:

GULP! - The ones listed on the Connect site http://www.4mylg.co.uk/cgi-bin/search.pl?parts_search=s&model=lg+3d+monitor&submit.x=11&submit.y=6
(Suitable for: LG D2342P-PN) at £27 are prohibitively expensive for dishing out to the kids/guests.
(No images or description of what you will get - surely not a Single pair !!).

I feel sorry for anyone for whom 3D was the primary reason for purchasing the DM2780D.

Back
Top Bottom