LG DM2780D 27" 3D monitor

Permabanned
With good glasses

I would rate it 10/10 for my 23 inch one. It was a bargain for 160f with next day delivery !!! Today i seen those 23 inch on some promotion 123f !!!!! What kind of **** monitor can you get for that sort of money ???

Associate
Hi guys just want to point something out to the people who have the DM2780D everybody i have spoken to says its branded as a cinema 3dtv so you would think it would be compatiable with the cinema 3dtv glasses this is why the glasses were packaged with the unit, but as we all know they arent so we are now recieving montior 3d glasses please read this.

http://pubpages.unh.edu/~wfc/Photo/Gear/LG-D2342/index.html

the monitor glasses are a inferior product to the cinema 3d glasses

If i brought a nintendo wii and it wasnt compatiable with the official branded wii remote then the product would not be fit for purpose so my argument is why have we not been supplied with official cinema 3d glasses version 2 for our specific model that are the superior glasses for our cinema branded 3dtv.

Soldato
OP
Must say, from my use of them so far, I don't feel like they are an inferior product.

Everything looks as good and sharp as it did with my home-made 3D monitor glasses (which came from RealD 3D cinema glasses)

Maybe the guy in that review got a bad batch?

Associate
Now that the glasses issue seems to be reaching some conclusion ... what are people opinions now of this as a monitor. How is it for 2D work - are the wider bands between pixel lines visible/noticeable (and what distance from the screen are you)?

Associate
Now that the glasses issue seems to be reaching some conclusion ... what are people opinions now of this as a monitor. How is it for 2D work - are the wider bands between pixel lines visible/noticeable (and what distance from the screen are you)?

I use this primarily, as a PC monitor.
Its connected to 2 PCs via hdmi. Both are multi boot OSes,
so tried on Win 7 ult64, XP sp3 32, Vista HP 32, ubuntu 11.10.
For normal PC use it makes a fine monitor - there are no bands whatsoever to be seen
- I checked from 12 in (closer than that my glasses fail to work) but normally sit at 24 inches.
Havent tried other connections other than hdmi (realistically -why would I??).
My graphics - budget Geforce 520GT, passive cooling.
Very happy with normal 2D PC use.
EDIT: should have added - using at 1920x1080@60Hz (native res)

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm thinking of getting one of these so can I ask what is the color like when playing a game in 3D? is it washed out?

My 28" monitor is 5ft away, will the 3D still be ok that far away?

thks

Soldato
OP
can't say I have any particular problems with colour in 3D. There are plenty of settings to play with, so it should be easy getting it exactly how you want.

I think I am about 4 foot away from mine roughly, and 3 is still strong. If you sit close to the 27" you will begin to notice the interlacing a bit more.

Personally I think it is a good size for the distance I use. Maybe a 32" would be a little more awesome, but the 27" is good.

Soldato
Can say that looks like I have the glasses problem sorted - LG were very good, aware of issue and all I had to do was send a copy of receipt. Expect them this week.

On another issue - using with my 8800GTX I get an awful shadow effect when using as a monitor in 1080p - if I use in other resolutions the tv keeps telling me to change to optimal (annoying) - any ideas whats causing the shadow - have updated drivers etc etc?

Associate
also noticed there are horizontal lines moving up the screen, any ideas?
that doesn't sound good - Ive never seen this on any flat panels so I am not sure.

tried the driver - wont install??? says already up to date as the generic one?
Generic Monitor is wrong one. (EDIT : although generic monitor should work)

This is the method for windows 7 (and probably Vista)

Download and extract the zip file to somewhere handy for you to find later on.
-Open device manager (from control panel OR right click computer - manage)
- open monitors in the list
- Right click on your monitor(Generic) and select Properties
- In the <Monitor> Properties window Click the Driver tab
- Click the Update Driver button.
- Choose Browse my computer for driver software.
- Choose Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
- On the Select Driver you want to install for this hardware choose the Have Disk button.
- You then have the Install from Disk dialogue indicating "A:\"
- Use the Browse button and navigate into the folder you extracted from the zip file.
-There is only one .inf file to be selected. You will now be able to install the LG driver.

Last edited:
Soldato
And there was me thinking I had the glasses sorted - they told me they were sending the correct ones out and since I hadnt got them I got in touch via instant chat with LG customer services.

Having told me they were being dispatched they are now telling me I need to send the old ones back??:mad:

Soldato
OP
And there was me thinking I had the glasses sorted - they told me they were sending the correct ones out and since I hadnt got them I got in touch via instant chat with LG customer services.

Having told me they were being dispatched they are now telling me I need to send the old ones back??:mad:

Sorry to hear. Seems they still not in the ball on this issue.

They should know by now they have mucked up. Hassle them, and do it by phone. They should be aware of the issue and should not be making customers wait longer than necessary any more.

Might I suggest going to the watchdog website and submitting this issue. I am sure the more of us that do, them more our chances of getting them on LG's case.

Associate
AMAZON

Hi guys i have had an email from amazon and i wasnt going to publish it but i am disgusted how there senior team has treated me i wont go into details but read this.

Dear Mr Goodbody,

LG have advised that you contact them to have a couple of sets of alternative
glasses sent to you. This will resolve the issues with viewing the TV.

They have also mentioned the following.

"LG have said: I have had some clarification back from HQ with regards to the
purple ghosting on the DM2780D. The first point is to stress that there is
nothing wrong with both the TV and the glasses. It is to do with the
polarization and the distance that the viewer is seated from the screen. With
this said there is a fix and it is within the glasses and we have some glasses
being sent over to our customer service department so in the future if people
complain they can contact us and we will send them out a couple of sets to
remedy the problem. Most people remedy themselves and normally move back from
the TV and it corrects the picture"

If you still wish to contact our Head Office about this, please use the address
below:

Amazon.co.uk,
Customer Services,
Patriot Court,
1-9 The Grove,
Slough,
Berkshire,
SL1 1QP,
United Kingdom.

Please make sure to include your order number and e-mail address in your letter
and be aware that it may take 10-14 days to reply to queries sent by traditional
post.

Alternatively, you could send your letter, as an attachment to an e-mail, to the
e-mail address [email protected].

Please note that all letters received to this address will be passed to Customer
Service for resolution.

I hope this helps. We hope to see you again soon.

Seán Murphy
Executive Customer Relations
Amazon.co.uk
http://www.amazon.co.uk

As eyetrip said the more people that send an email to watchdog the better i have recieved a response from them but the more complaints the recieve the better also i have updated comsumer direct and they have passed the info onto trading standards.

Lies Good LG new moto lol

Associate
Hi guys i have had an email from amazon and i wasnt going to publish it but i am disgusted how there senior team has treated me i wont go into details but read this.

Dear Mr Goodbody,

LG have advised that you contact them to have a couple of sets of alternative
glasses sent to you. This will resolve the issues with viewing the TV.

They have also mentioned the following.

"LG have said: I have had some clarification back from HQ with regards to the
purple ghosting on the DM2780D. The first point is to stress that there is
nothing wrong with both the TV and the glasses. It is to do with the
polarization and the distance that the viewer is seated from the screen. With
this said there is a fix and it is within the glasses and we have some glasses
being sent over to our customer service department so in the future if people
complain they can contact us and we will send them out a couple of sets to
remedy the problem. Most people remedy themselves and normally move back from
the TV and it corrects the picture"

If you still wish to contact our Head Office about this, please use the address
below:

Amazon.co.uk,
Customer Services,
Patriot Court,
1-9 The Grove,
Slough,
Berkshire,
SL1 1QP,
United Kingdom.

Please make sure to include your order number and e-mail address in your letter
and be aware that it may take 10-14 days to reply to queries sent by traditional
post.

Alternatively, you could send your letter, as an attachment to an e-mail, to the
e-mail address [email protected].

Please note that all letters received to this address will be passed to Customer
Service for resolution.

I hope this helps. We hope to see you again soon.

Seán Murphy
Executive Customer Relations
Amazon.co.uk
http://www.amazon.co.uk

As eyetrip said the more people that send an email to watchdog the better i have recieved a response from them but the more complaints the recieve the better also i have updated comsumer direct and they have passed the info onto trading standards.

Lies Good LG new moto lol

just been talking to "mark" an agent on lg chat and he says i can get glasses replaced if i send the old wrong glasses to them.
Really i can not be assed with posting **** away to possibly lose a set of glasses.

Back
Top Bottom