LG Flatron W2600HP 26

Soldato
no one seeing any issues with this being 2" larger than a 24" but the same res?
1½ inch, but you know how everyone likes rounding upwards.
If it bothers just push it couple centimeters farther and use that extra space between keyboard and monitor for storing often needed small items.

Associate
This does look like the monitor that could finally allow me to dump my CRTs.

I will wait to see confirmation of the panel before I order though: I can't be bothered with returning stuff if I can avoid it.

Associate
can anyone confirm whether this really is the IPS model that other folks sell for a price cloesr to £500?

can someone who is actually using this monitor post their experiences? I was looking at the dell 2409W and 2408WFP - but this monitor seems to be much better value for money.

Soldato
I was looking at the dell 2409W and 2408WFP - but this monitor seems to be much better value for money.
2409 is low screen TN El Cheapo.
2408 has probably better black point than IPS but average input lag and VA's horizontal gamma shifting compressing dark shades from straight angle.

This does look like the monitor that could finally allow me to dump my CRTs.
That's what it's for me. (CRT was terminating its work contract)
TNs are successor of those horrible 60Hz bottom of bottle El Cheapos... Good S-PVA has higher contrast/better black point but that VA-liquid crystals' horizontal gamma shift in dark shades just doesn't look good after good near flat surface CRT leaving IPS as only option as OLED and SED displays aren't yet here.
(and NEC 2690WUXi was plain expensive and little more expensive HP had more input lag)

Associate
Usually I'd agree with you but even with some serious purchasing power I don't see how they could (or would) sell them for £250 less than anywhere else, and the price happens to be in line with the TN-panel version. The model numbers are quite similar, as the TN-panel version is the W2600H-PF versus the S-IPS W2600HP-BF.

If the details turn out to be correct then I'll almost certainly grab one.

are you forgetting the steal overclockers did with the nec 24" wmgx3?? Trust me they couldn't pull of this size of deal just on volume alone. Someone somewhere wnats / needs to shift a sizeable vloume of these, overclockers obviously demonstrated they are the ppl to do it. Don't forget LG have some new 'cheap' IPS panels due soon.

Soldato
I'm very interested in this display as well, first thing that has tempted me away from a 21" trinitron crt in terms of image quality and price.

I webnoted ocuk asking them to confirm it is an s-ips monitor and which revision it is, i got this in reply:

"Thanks for the web note. Unfortunately we have no way to confirm exactly which revision it is."

Not their most useful reply, i will webnote them again tomorrow just asking whether it is tn or s-ips.

Associate
I'm very interested in this display as well, first thing that has tempted me away from a 21" trinitron crt in terms of image quality and price.

I webnoted ocuk asking them to confirm it is an s-ips monitor and which revision it is, i got this in reply:

"Thanks for the web note. Unfortunately we have no way to confirm exactly which revision it is."

Not their most useful reply, i will webnote them again tomorrow just asking whether it is tn or s-ips.

That's the same repsonse I got, but I've gone ahead and placed and order anyway. No point missing out on a mega deal if the specs are correct. Would kick myself if I waited for confirmation only to find they sold out.

Soldato
Does anyone have an idea how this screen would compare in theory to the Dell2407 in terms of picture quality, lag, ghosting etc. for gaming?

Soldato
Does anyone have an idea how this screen would compare in theory to the Dell2407 in terms of picture quality, lag, ghosting etc. for gaming?
Good S-PVA has higher contrast/better black point (not sure about that older Dell) but looses in overal quality because of VA-liquid crystal's horizontal gamma shift which compresses dark shade differences from straight angle. (try seeing text in this pic when viewing image directly)
Input lag is surely lower (S-PVAs aren't great in that) and response time is at least as good, differences in that are very small in RTC equipped good panels.

Associate
Someone in another forum took the bold step and actually using the phone :)

"I phoned OCUK to confirm that this is the S-IPS version (W2600HP-BF) rather than the TN panel (W2600HP-PF) and that it is revision 2 and not revision 1, and they said it was definitely the IPS and rev 2. Ordered "

Fingers & toes crossed that it will arrive in stock soon........

Last edited:
Associate
Lol - I phoned yesterday :) Was told that they couldn't confirm the rev at that time but would swap for a rev2 if it was a rev1 and in a separate call was told they are expected next week.

Associate
I'm actually flitting between this and the new dell - if the difference in price is 150 pounds then its not that much of a difference in my book and the increased input flexibility of the dell MIGHT be useful in the future (although i admit it isnt for now).

Associate
Same here but the dell is at least 50% more expensive for perhaps marginally better image quality, a card reader and a load of extra inputs i'm likely to never need. The lg has a 15 pin d sub and dvi-d inputs. Will that enable me to connect my laptop via vga (is d sub same as vga?) but also get hd play back via the dvi when i get my new pc with blueray? What is the difference between hdmi and dvi? Just the fact that hdmi can carry sound too?

Soldato
The lg has a 15 pin d sub and dvi-d inputs. Will that enable me to connect my laptop via vga (is d sub same as vga?) but also get hd play back via the dvi when i get my new pc with blueray? What is the difference between hdmi and dvi? Just the fact that hdmi can carry sound too?
D-sub is VGA. ADC in monitor seems to be very good so if graphic card/chip just outputs good analog signal then there won't be much image quality difference. DVI port supports HDCP which is required for viewing HD content through ditial connection.
(HDMI=DVI+audio+tiny flimsy connector+license cost)

Lol - I phoned yesterday :) Was told that they couldn't confirm the rev at that time but would swap for a rev2 if it was a rev1 and in a separate call was told they are expected next week.
There had already been couple revisions when I got mine in last fall so don't worry about getting "first" revision.
(if there's any bigger change it could be change from H-IPS to cheaper to manufacture e-IPS... which could also explain price)

Associate
90 days and >250 posts reached on tuesday. Hate to hold off but will be spending another £600 at OcUk and shipping sticks a little. Been a really horrid week, finally building this i7 rig will provide a little distraction hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom