LG OLED55B7V price hikes everywhere??

Soldato
Bah, buying this TV might lead me to needing to splash out on a new amp... not sure my Onkyo HTX-22HDX supports 4k content.
I use that amp with this TV. I only use it for the arc surround sound, all my other peripherals plug directly into the TV for 4k production.... You don't need a new amp.

took a good look at OLEDs this weekend, for me it's the Panasonic 65'' or the Sony 65''
what about the QLED ?.........it's pretty damned good but not quite up to an OLED.

I don't know why anyone would choose either of those over the LG OLED to be honest. Avoid the QLED if you want OLED. Q is just a marketing gimmick by samsung to try and compete LGs OLED (it doesn't compete).

Soldato
QLED gets a bad rap because its overpriced, wait until the prices come down and you can pick up some real gems for good prices. I picked up a Q7 65" for £1599 which I consider a bargain, the cheapest OLED up from that was the 65" B7 at £2500.

BTW, the new samsung Q9 is simply awesome, better than OLED in my opinion having seen them in dedicated viewing rooms in richer sounds. The price is stupid though, needs to be £1k less and samsung reclaim the premium TV summit IMO.

Soldato
QLED gets a bad rap because its overpriced, wait until the prices come down and you can pick up some real gems for good prices. I picked up a Q7 65" for £1599 which I consider a bargain, the cheapest OLED up from that was the 65" B7 at £2500.

BTW, the new samsung Q9 is simply awesome, better than OLED in my opinion having seen them in dedicated viewing rooms in richer sounds. The price is stupid though, needs to be £1k less and samsung reclaim the premium TV summit IMO.
Having owned both I can assure you the Q9 isn’t even close to an OLED

Soldato
I always thought the Q9 was fake OLED?
Thats what I have been lead to believe, how true is this?

Coming from Plasma I naturally have to be pretty careful about my next upgrade, since in many respects it could lead to a downgrade in image quality.

Associate
Well, I bit the bullet and got the LG OLED from RS with the code. Way more than I wanted to spend, but also better tech I guess. With tech moving so quickly, I hope it lasts as a "good" TV for the next 5 years or so.

Caporegime
Don't get me wrong, the Q9 is a very good FALD LCD ('QLED' is just stupid marketing to confuse the average consumer)

But there's a reason Samsungs always stand out/look "better" in shops - Brightness.

At home an OLED is still king.

Soldato
I use that amp with this TV. I only use it for the arc surround sound, all my other peripherals plug directly into the TV for 4k production.... You don't need a new amp.

So do you have the channel on the amp constantly set to arc? Harmony doesn't see the arc channel :(

Caporegime
So do you have the channel on the amp constantly set to arc? Harmony doesn't see the arc channel :(

That's not really how it works. My LGB6 OLED has ARC on HDMI 2, so I plug the output from the AVR in to HDMI 2 and then I can get Dolby Digital from Netflix, Amazon etc. The AVR is just set to 'TV'

Caporegime
Yeah, not a huge difference between the B7 and the C8 from what Vincent Teoh said.

Uniformity is of the C8 is supposed to be better, and so is HDR gaming but he's pretty sure the panel hasn't even changed from last year.

Soldato
That's not really how it works. My LGB6 OLED has ARC on HDMI 2, so I plug the output from the AVR in to HDMI 2 and then I can get Dolby Digital from Netflix, Amazon etc. The AVR is just set to 'TV'

Unfortunately, for the specific amp we have, there is a channel you have to select but it only appears when the amp detects the arc enabled. This means Harmony can't always find it as the amp is pretty dumb.

Soldato
Yeah constantly set to arc, unless I want my Chromecast to play.

ARC out of TV to ARC in on amp.
All other HDMI connections into the back of the TV.
Your amp will change input depending which one you switch on, so if I switch the sky box on, the amp flicks to that input, as it does for the PS4 The remote shouldn't matter. Ensure arc control (or whatever it's called) is enabled on your Tv, then the volume on your amp will change as you press it on your remote.

Soldato
Yeah, not a huge difference between the B7 and the C8 from what Vincent Teoh said.

Uniformity is of the C8 is supposed to be better, and so is HDR gaming but he's pretty sure the panel hasn't even changed from last year.
Vincent retracted that statement, the panels in the 2018 models are different from 2017 as they have a bigger red sub pixel to further resist burn in

Back
Top Bottom