LG to Introduce 34-inch IPS 21:9 UltraWide (Model UM95) monitor

Associate
Who is collecting?

OCUK. I explained the problem to them and they were absolutely fine about it. They let me keep it a little bit longer just to be sure it was the displayport that had this prob and not my 980s (Which have their own probs /sigh). Anyway it is the displayport (urgh I think I may have said dvi port above in previous messages), so they are refunding without any problems. They've been 100% great to deal with! (and I'm a guy who swore I'd never buy from them again after having a big row with them over a faulty mobo about 8 years ago, so was not exactly the biggest fan...)

I have to say I'm really disappointed its going back. I really liked this monitor, and whilst mine had a bit of backlight bleed I don't use it in a darkened room and it didn't bother me. Shame they can't get it together though, they need to do better on the engineering if they want to sell 1000 quid monitors, because those aren't just about looking pretty.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's funny, because they are now completely ignoring my posts in the CS forum.

After I have posted about this issue, and then posted about trying to get in touch with LG over a fix, they have completely blanked me!

And I know they have read it, because the thread views has increased.

If there is one way to aggravate a customer, it's by ignoring them.

Associate
Quick Q regarding the UM95 and UC97. Haven't found the answer to this anywhere.

So my udnerstanding is, the displays both support 1:1 pixel scaling. And HDMI is limited to 50Hz at native res.

But what about 1:1 720p or just 720p in general i.e. off an Xbox, is this still limited to 50Hz or will it be able to do 60Hz ?

Man of Honour
50Hz I think, my PS3 is connected to mine with "original" set as the aspect ratio so it scales 720p to fit in the vertical length of the monitor thus giving pillarboxes. It works at 50Hz here.

I don't think it matters really for consoles connected, 50Hz or 60.

Associate
50Hz I think, my PS3 is connected to mine with "original" set as the aspect ratio so it scales 720p to fit in the vertical length of the monitor thus giving pillarboxes. It works at 50Hz here.

I don't think it matters really for consoles connected, 50Hz or 60.

Sadly, it matters a lot for me since I pretty much only playing Fighting Games on mine so 60 is an absolute must.

Bah, I'll just keep it connected to my current monitor when I make it my secondary.

Soldato
Hmmm, I had assumed it was probably some kind of firmware bug, and that it may possibly be fixed by an update.

I have the issue with both GTX 970 and GTX 670, so perhaps it's either a compatibility issue with Nvidia (though am sure have seen references to people with AMD cards having the same issue) or it really is an actual fault with the monitor.

So getting another might mean I get a working one?

How I hate monitors...

Associate
For sure there are compatibility issues with Nvidia, Displayport and these latest LG screens. It could even be a wider Nvidia problem - try searching "nvidia displayport sleep problem". I obviously can't say for sure Nvidia are to blame for your issue but it sounds possible.

I know you have seen that disabling Displayport 1.2 fixes one particular issue (it fixed mine), although yours is clearly different. You may have noticed that one person reported that problem cropping up a few driver releases back, so it might be interesting to install a driver from early this year. Hopefully Nvidia will sort things out.

Associate
I like the look of this monitor but it looks a little low on the ports side of things but I have read Thunderbolt and Displayport are compatible, can anyone confirm whether I can plug a display port from my PC to the thunderbolt for a picture?

Sorry if it is covered elsewhere in the thread, its a large thread and I couldn't find it.

Associate
Nv have a wake from sleep driver crash bug but the lg has its own probs waking from sleep. The lg had this prob even on the bios screen before driver loading in windows, and I could recreate using the onboard gfx, not a gpu.

I do wonder if the lg was sending some malformed display port signal causing the nv crash. Also the lg definitely sent something bad as the icons often got rammed into a corner of the screen on wake. This happened on my macbook pro over thunderbolt too so definitely an lg issue...

Have to say this generation of equip really sucks for combat/stability... I'm back on my dell 2407 waiting for something decent to come out. Feels pretty silly have 2x980s driving that!

Soldato
So what's the general consensus on this monitor then? I've noticed it up for £660 and I'm pretty tempted to grab it for that price. There are a few other curved ones about to be released but I think I'd prefer the flat panel?

There are obviously quite a few complaints about backlight bleed though I'd taken dark room shots of my existing IPS monitor and that looks pretty bad on the camera but I've never noticed it in general use?

There are a few folk moaning about input lag and screen tearing which concerns me more. Can anyone comment on how the monitor is for FPS gaming? Also does it come with displayport cables included?

Last edited:
Associate
So I made a gaming montage type of video for this monitor.
It's so shoddily made that it'll probably put you off from buying it! :D

If you watch it in Chrome apparently it will be in 60fps.

Man of Honour
So what's the general consensus on this monitor then? I've noticed it up for £660 and I'm pretty tempted to grab it for that price. There are a few other curved ones about to be released but I think I'd prefer the flat panel?

There are obviously quite a few complaints about backlight bleed though I'd taken dark room shots of my existing IPS monitor and that looks pretty bad on the camera but I've never noticed it in general use?

There are a few folk moaning about input lag and screen tearing which concerns me more. Can anyone comment on how the monitor is for FPS gaming? Also does it come with displayport cables included?

I have both flat and curved, both are good but for gaming and movies the curved can offer more immersion due to the curve when sat at the desk. The flat is better for everything else and is better for actual work.

No input lag to note at all. It's on par with any other high end IPS display. I'll headshot all day long in TF2, for example. Nobody escapes my scope.

As for screen tearing, it's no different to other monitors when Vsync is off. Just you might notice it more on this as it's so big and wide.

DisplayPort cable is included.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the replies guys. That video of the game footage looks awesome by the way!

Gonna sleep on it and decide whether to go for it at the weekend! From what I've seen all the other upcoming 34" displays are curved models and most seem to be priced at nearly £1000 which is substantially more than I'd wanted to spend. That and as mentioned I'm not really convinced curved is what I'm after since I'll be using it for work at least half of the time and I think it would feel weird working on a curved display. Difficult to say without trying it mind you!

I was gonna wait for the AOC flat 34" model but it's looking like it won't be out until January at the earliest plus it has the same panel as the LG so other than the height adjustable stand there won't likely be much difference. The LG has a thunderbolt port which might be handy if I ever wanted to connect a Mac to it in future too.

Hmmmm.....I wish there were somewhere local I could go to actually see these 34" displays in person. It's so nerve wracking spending substantial money buying a monitor over the internet when you haven't actually seen it before!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom