Lift Laugh Love, a Log Story --- (Weightloss->Lifting->Swolification)

Weekly update!

Weighed in this morning at 80.4kg. Need to stick around 80 until New Years so I can cut to 70 by easter time (hopefully).

Monday
Squat 125 5x5
Bench 82.5 5/5/5/3/2 <- Bench fail. Deload to 77.5.
BOR 65 5x5
Wednesday
Squat 125 5x5
OHP 47.5 5x5
Deads 130 1x5 <- Never happy with my deads, especially now I have 0 leg drive after squats.
Friday
Squat 125 5x5 <- That's right, 125kg again! I hit all the reps all 3 sessions, but I never felt 'comfortable' with it. Wanted to really groove it in, as it feels HEAVY.
Bench 77.5 5x5 <- Felt weak, but got the reps
BOR 67.5 5x5 <- Strapped up to avoid forearm pump. Much better, should help me get past 72.5

Something a bit more chilled this week, just cos.

friday_gifdump_57_08-0a632412-original.gif

500full-48-d1396800-original.gif

****. Who dis? And why isn't she on me :mad:

Managed to read any of CBL?

Also, squat more until you fall over.

Completely forgot the Carb Back Loading book, dumped it in my dropbox to pick up later but missed it. Will try and get on it this weekend.

Unfortunately my plans for Christmas Squat Domination™ have been slightly scuppered by some work news :(. Gotta go to a customer site Mon/Tue/Weds next week, all super long days and from 7am :(. I guess I could train Sun/Thurs/Sat actually.
Was hoping next week would be my last 'build up' week then I'd go for PB's 17th onwards.

Oh well see what happens I guess, some time off could do me some good.

Luckily the 'bugs' I had to go on site to fix turned out to be incompetent customer engineers (what a surprise!) so I was able to train this morning.

130kg 5x5 Squat was the order of the day, I got it but it got a bit messy.

Here's a vid of the last set.
not-sure-if-want-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-232.gif

The Carly Rae Jepson soundtrack really helped :p. I'm not sure you can tell, but after me preaching the virtues of not squatting in front of a mirror, they've gone and spun all the racks so they're facing mirrors! Bloody annoying and it really affects me :(. My right knee is all over the place, depth isn't great and knees past toes to even get that low. I plan on doing 2 more 5x5 130kg days then going for a 140kg+ 1RM next weekend.

Rest of session was
Bench 80kg 5x5
BOR 70kg 3x5 <- ran out of time!

wXib4.gif

Last edited:
Yeah I think I'm gonna have to widen my stance from now, it's a smidge wider than shoulder width at the moment. My thighs are longer than my torso which doesn't help matters.

Diet is king. Changed to stronglifts because I wanted to get stronger :p, mainly. Both will do an admirable job for fatloss, but I would probably suggest a good 3-day split for a beginner. Squatting 3x a week is pretty taxing even when you can eat like a king.

Been a while, been super busy with christmas parties, my birthday and general festivity.

Weighed in this morning at 80.1kg, dunno how this happened because I've been drinking and eating pretty proper lately!

Once again I've stuck at the same squat weight to try and acclimatise to it, as such. Not sure it's helped or not yet.
Monday
Squat 130 5x5
OHP 52.5 5x5 <- PB, barrier broken!.
DL 135 1x5
Wednesday
Squat 130 5x5
Bench 82.5 5x5 <- PB, barrier broken, didn't feel particularly tough either!
BOR 72.5 5x5 <- PB I think, beasted.
Friday
Squat 130kg 5/5, 135kg 1/1, 140kg 1/1. Got a vid of the 2nd 140kg below.
OHP 55kg 5x5 <- PB's all day
DL - Couldn't be bother with repping so just went for a 1RM! First ever attempt, went something like this.
60xLots
100x3
120x3
140x1 <Unstrapped PB
150x1 Oh Lawd
160kgx1! PB, mixed grip + chalk.

So a good session today! Think I've easily got 150kg in the squat bank, and maybe 165-170 on a fresh deadlift session! Chuffed.

Depth needs another inch or so, but I'm happy enough. It's not like my lower numbers are deeper, I'm not good at depth :p. It's still deep enough to be PC dominant I think, and the speed honestly it felt easyish. I wanted to go higher but no catchers or spotters around :(.
No video of the 160kg deadlift, but I might go back in on Christmas Eve for a Bench 1RM and go for it again then.

beachbum-wtflmao.gif

iCx4j8pCoBlVh.gif

Brief update, training has been all over the place and generally crap because of booze and food over Christmas/NYE.

Weighed in 81.7kg this morning. Not too bad I was hovering around 84kg of beer weight on Monday, being back at work on my normal diet has flushed water out right quick.

Unfortunately I intend to cut from now, I REALLY don't want to but I am getting chunky and need to stay competitive with Syla5 :p. Not looking forward to the strength loss and 1600-1800kcal diet, but needs must.

Monday (NYE Training brahs!)
Squat 112.5 5x5 <- Yup big deload, lost a LOT of strength it seems.
Bench 75 5x5
BOR 65 5x5
Thursday (I was in no state to go to the gym on Weds, best NYE ever though.)
Squat 115 5x5
OHP 50 5x5 <- Damn this felt heavy. What has happened to me!
Deadlift 120x5, 130x3, 140x2 <- Doing sets of deadlifts does nothing for me, so just messing around really.
Saturday
Squat 117.5 5x5 <- Finally feeling solid again, hips took AGES to get mobile though.
Bench 77.5 5x5
BOR - 67.5 5x5

Choons, a classic that's been stuck in my head all week.
Sloots
daily_gifdump_234_03-e776298b-original.gif

ibcfnn5fbrgvji.gif

First week of 'proper' gym and diet this week, timetocut.jpg.

Using the following rough cutting macros

Rest Days:
50f/150c/180p 1800kcal
Training Days:
80f/180c/180p 2200kcal

Weighed in this morning 81.0, so 0.7kg or just under 1.5lbs in the first week. Looks like these macros will be bang on. Psychologically I hate it though!

Monday
Squat 120 5x5
OHP 52.5 5/5/5/4/4 <- Goodbye sweet pre-christmas gains :(
Deadlift 115 1x5 <-Trying to actually use my hamstrings for these now.
Narrow grip lat pulldown, 210lbs 8/8/8. Just because I had time and I <3 it.
Wednesday
Squat 122.5 5x5 <- Christ this feels heavy. Where the hell has my strength gone!
Bench 80 5/5/5/5/4 <- As above :(
BOR 70 5x5 <- Will deload these and maybe switch to underhand tbh. Not feeling it atm.
Friday
Squat 125 5x5 <- Still feels heavy but making the lifts
OHP 52.5 5/5/5/4/5 <- Rage at failing the 4th set got me the 5th, still felt awful compared to my December 55kg though :(.
Deads - Just messed about really I was in a haggard mood and not in the zone at all.
Narrow grip lat pulldown 230lbs 8/8/8 - Again because I love them.

Pretty pants week really, oh well!
ieX4uLYXrUHLt.gif

tumblr_mdbmgickYO1rzla1go1_500.gif

Weekly update. 2nd week of cutting, weight this morning 80.5kg to again pretty much bang on where I should be. Sticking with 2200/1800 until it slows. I still hate it though.

Monday
Squat 127.5 5x5
Bench 80 5/5/5/5/5
BOR 60 5x5 <-Deload + straps for feelz.
Wednesday
Squat 130 5x5 <- Made the reps but not pretty. I'm a good grinder lol.
OHP 52.5 5/5/4/4/2 <- Doh
Deadlifts 115 1x5 120 1x5 <- Meh. Don't tend to follow deadlift progression properly, cos I'm pants at them :p
Saturday
Squat 115 5x5 <- Deload, nice and smooth feels very explosive in the middle aswell.
Bench 82.5 5/5/5/4/5 <- Fuark!
BOR 62.5 5x5
Narrow grip lat pulldown 240lbs 8/6/4 - Again because I love them.

Feeling ghetto atm.
i2z1eKZgFzfSJ.gif

i-just-dgaf-g2.gif

Solid week brah. Bench progressing?

Mirin ghetto times.

Not quite unfortunately, I did hit 82.5 5x5 before Christmas. The Christmas break seems to have really taken my momentum away, I'm confident I can get it though even whilst cutting - just got a feeling.

Gonna carry on with SL until March time, when I'm going to Valencia for a week of debauchery and saying goodbye to my sweet gains :(.

Another week of feeling constantly hungry and weak, cutting is the enemy. Weighed in bang on 80.0 this morning so at least it's working!

Monday
Squat 117.5 5x5
OHP 52.5 5/5/5 <- Had to cut this to 3 sets, Bristol traffic was bonkers.
Deadlift 115 1x5
Wednesday
Squat 120 5x5
Bench 82.5 5/5/5/5/4 <- FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU
BOR 65 5x5 <- Straps + thumbless grip = oh lawd.
Friday
Squat 122.5 5x5 <- Good depth today.
OHP 52.5 5/5/4 <- Again cut to 3 sets due to traffic :(.
Deads - 100x5 110x5 120x5 <- Might cut out deads altogether. Can't get any leg/hip action at all after squatting.
Renegade Rows 6kg DB's <-Fuark these are juicy!

Pretty pants week again. Lost my strength momentum over the Christmas break and can't get it back whilst trying to become a malnourished skinny phaggot.

tumblr_lyza5fy11m1qmcqwvo1_500.gif

sCHWu.gif

gonna get flamed for this but hey ho, have you considered CBL?? my strength is unaffected, even going up before i did my back, ive dropped 6lb and i havent been sticking to just 3 backloads a week, i have been doing 4 with some extra carbs on my ULC days as well.

I remeber cutting last year and it was not a great motivator when my lifts started to stall and go backwards :(

Yeah I've looked into it. I don't think I could do the required food prep & general adherence to actually do it though. I'm never gonna start making salads and crap like that to take into work, although there is a salad bar at the Morrisons over the road.......... hmje. Plus things like pub lunches with work every week etc. just seems a bit more awkward to fit 'real life' around CBL than IF + IIFYM.

I dunno I just can't be bothered starting up something new right new, working out some meals etc. etc.

I will reread your diet posting and have a think though.

Late update this week. Had to go to London town for work Thursday which ruined me, so trained this morning rather than Friday.

Didn't bother to weigh in as I knew it would be depressing given my completely random Thursday diet of various buffet stuff at a seminar.

Monday
Squat 125 5x5 <- Ooof! I'm back. Felt strong. Could be something to do with the large dominos and 14 chicken wings I had the night before......
Bench 82.5 5x5 <- There it is :).
BOR 67.5 5x5
Wednesday
Squat 125 5x5 <- Retrying my previous 'get in the groove' technique of keeping the same weight. Felt ok, but heavier than Monday. No Dominos power.
OHP 52.5 5/5/4/3/3 <- Shoulders still fatigued from Monday I think.
Deadlift 110x5 115x5 120x5 Trying to actually be hamstring dominant rather than back.
Saturday
Squat 127.5 5x5
Bench 85 5/5/5/4/3 <-Close, think I could have had 5x5 with a spotter.
BOR - 70 5x5 <- Again false grip + straps = hrrnnggh
Did some narrow pulldowns for luls, 230lbs 3x8
Zercher Squats 30kg x8 40kg x8 50kg x8 <- Brutal as ever, got some very strange looks.
Hanging leg raises superset with planks. Core fried, home time.

Everyone's favourite song at the moment ;).
Sloots
tumblr_mgbln7TW0V1qh1dzro1_500.gif

tumblr_mekgexOK0r1rpfx57o1_r1_500.gif

Weighed in this morning at 80.0kg, doh.

Monday
Squat 127.5 5x5 <- Felt strong as fuark, powered by Superbowl hotdogs and pretzels.
OHP 47.5 5x5
DL 1301x5 <- Actually felt sufficiently hippy rather than backy, rare for me.
Wednesday
Squat 127.5 5x5
Bench 85 5/4/3/2/2 <- Lol wut?! Completely lost it.
BOR 70 5x5
Friday
Squat 120kg 5x5 <- Strength gone. External rotation on my right shoulder is in tatters from something.
OHP 50kg 5x5
Didn't do any deads because I was massively discouraged by my lack of juiciness. So I did a quick round of 'stuff'
Cable Pullthroughs 50lbs 3x8 <- Dat PC activation, hard to not fall backwards though!
Pallof Press (Cable) 40lbs 3x8
Facepull (Cable) 70lbs 3x8

So you might not be able to tell, but I'm ******* out. Can't be bothered with the drawbacks of cutting without the fatloss that comes with it, just not in the zone this time round. Gonna take a week off then spend 4 weeks doing 'stuff' before I go on holiday. By stuff I mean more unusual workouts concentrating on unilateral strength and core work. My legs are hilariously imbalanced (left leg is probably 60-70% of right leg srs) and I need to spend some time fixing my right shoulder.

Will draft something up this weekend and post it for feedback, expect stuff like Goblet Squats, BSS (;)), Zercher squatz, standing single shoulder press, TRX rows, heavy KB swings, lot's of DB over BB and maybe even a curl at the end.

tumblr_meyzadxaml1re6tlco1_500-84cabf97-original.gif

tumblr_mgy08k8wby1rb8tmvo1_500-e2c9a29c-original.gif

LIKE-us-on-Facebook-11.png

ywKdGHx.gif

Last edited:
Pretty parallel but not pendlay style and grip is as narrow as I can get comfortably to get max ROM. I used to do wide grip but the ROM is crap IMO you just hit your trunk before your scaps have done anything.

EDIT: Thinking about it grip is about the same as OHP grip. Max ROM is most important in BOR imo, I've read somewhere using the same grip width as your bench has good carry over to pressing but that's it for wider grips.

Last edited:
Doing a midweek update as my workouts have changed a bit, and I'm bored.

Mixed things up a lot and it's destroying me :D. All new weights are with some in the bag to allow progression over the next 4/5 weeks, trying to get as much ROM as possible and being more BB minded than usual (muscle->movement not movement->muscle).

Monday
RDL 75kg 8/8/8 <- Amazingly my first time ever doing this exercise, so keeping comfortable weight. Felt good, can tell it's a great PC exercise.
DB Flat Bench 27.5kg 8/8/8 <- Maybe a bit too easy, but getting up at the end of the set is a real pain with DBs.
BSS <- LOL! Can barely do these with bodyweight, wobble tastic. Easier with some weight (5kg dbs) but still awful. Think I need to lower the trailing leg (used a bench) and maybe wear shoes, the pressure on the top of my trailing foot was quite painful.
DB Incline Bench 22.5kg 8/8/8
Cable X-Over 40lbs 8/8/8/8 <- Dat chest pump, do these without gripping the handles makes massive difference.
EZ Bar Curls 15kg+bar 10/10/10 <- IJDGAF about curls in any form, will probably drop them.
Hammer Incline Curls 7kg 8/8/8
KB Swings 28kg x Lots <- These are the king of hip hinge explosive and upper back stability, imo. Hamstring and trap DOMs are redonk. Wish we had heavier KBs.
Renegade Rows <- If you want to look like a complete fish out of water that's surely never exercised in his life, do these at the end of a session.
Wednesday
Front Squats <- No thanks, Jeff. Gonna have to find the time to properly train and groove these. 4 Months of low bar squat has completely disabled my quads it seems, can't do anything without my hips trying to do it all. Unless I find the time to program these gonna swap in Lunges & Leg Press
DB Lunges 17.5kg 8/8/8 (per DB, per leg) <- Cardio more than anything :p. 5x5 has not been kind to my fitness.
Leg Press 390lbs 12/12/12 <- LOL! Goodbye sweet quad strength. Very peculiar they just don't seem to 'turn on' anymore.
Underhand BOR 55kg 8/8/8
CGBP 50kg 8/8/8
Close grip pulldown 210lbs 8/8/8 <- Maybe left too much in the tank here
Cable Tricep Pushdown 80lbs 8/8/8 <- And here
Kroc Rows 17.5kg DB, 25 reps per arm, then 15 reps per arm. Oh lawd rhomboids.
Calves, Toe Press on Leg Press 390lbs 15/15/15

So far this is crippling me honestly. You don't really get DOMs from Stronglifts in my experience, it's just generally tiring so this is a huge change for me. Hobbling all day.

No choons of GIFs yet, will save those for my Friday updates as usual ;).

Back
Top Bottom