Liverpool Takeover Thread

Don
Slight problem in losing Torres, you'd be losing your greatest asset - a world class striker. What players at the club would replace his goal contribution; Kuyt - the workhorse with a "Heskey" like score rate (1 in 4), N'Gog - with his lack of goals, Babel?

It's clear you'd need an immediate replacement, well who?

The money we'd get from Torres could pay for your entire strikeforce. If Torres does leave, we'd be able to go out and buy 3-4 top class players. Admittedly the chances of getting somebody as good as him is massively unlikely but it's very possible that the contribution from the 3 or 4 players we could bring in, could outweigh the contribution Torres brings to the team.

Unless you get instant results you're in BIG trouble, a game against Everton couldn't come at a more fortunate time. But such is the nature of these games, they could save or condemn you further.

What are you trying to say? We should prepare ourselves for the Championship?

No Liverpool supporter is expecting to qualify for the CL this year, and the vast majority realise that it may take another season after this before we're able to challenge for a top 4 spot.

Permabanned
The money we'd get from Torres could pay for your entire strikeforce.

:confused:
How much do you think a disillusioned and unhappy Torres cost? I'd guess Liverpool would probably accept £35m.

As for Spurs strike force;
Robbie Keane cost us £12.5m from you, whilst we made £7m from you in a 6 month loan deal, for a fading striker.
Peter Crouch cost us £10m, though is worth more.
Defoe cost us £15.75m (Portsmouth wanted £20m+)
Roman Pavyluchenko cost us £14m.
Total on actual fees £52.25m, current values - who knows.

I think it will be interesting who signs Benzema from Real, he could be a real addition to any club.

If Torres does leave, we'd be able to go out and buy 3-4 top class players. Admittedly the chances of getting somebody as good as him is massively unlikely but it's very possible that the contribution from the 3 or 4 players we could bring in, could outweigh the contribution Torres brings to the team.

I can't see much transfer activity outside of Eastlands and European powerhouses, the entire premiership can't afford to compete with fee inflation.

I'll ask again, who do you think you could buy for £35m (or whatever price you think he'll fetch)?

What are you trying to say? We should prepare ourselves for the Championship?

If by Championship, you mean being condemned to UEFA Cup football at best, then yes.

No Liverpool supporter is expecting to qualify for the CL this year, and the vast majority realise that it may take another season after this before we're able to challenge for a top 4 spot.

You won't be able to compete unless you have some serious player investment.

Konchesky and Poulsen, these are the kinds of players you could afford, when really you need players like Bale and Van der Vaart.

;)

Don
:confused:
How much do you think a disillusioned and unhappy Torres cost? I'd guess Liverpool would probably accept £35m.

As for Spurs strike force;
Robbie Keane cost us £12.5m from you, whilst we made £7m from you in a 6 month loan deal, for a fading striker.
Peter Crouch cost us £10m, though is worth more.
Defoe cost us £15.75m (Portsmouth wanted £20m+)
Roman Pavyluchenko cost us £14m.
Total on actual fees £52.25m, current values - who knows.
Firstly Torres wouldn't be sold for £35m regardless of him wanting to leave or not and secondly you actually paid ~£16m for Keane.

However my point wasn't a literal 1, I was merely stating that the amount of money we could get for Torres would allow us to sign 3 or 4 top players.

I can't see much transfer activity outside of Eastlands and European powerhouses, the entire premiership can't afford to compete with fee inflation.

And what are you basing this prediction on? Read it in the Daily Mail along with the story about Spurs earning £50m for the CL?

If clubs have money to spend players become available. City's spending isn't likely to be anything like what it has been, they'll be just looking to add a couple of 'star' players to the squad they've bought in the past couple of seasons.

Also the major clubs in Europe hardly splashed the cash this summer either.
I'll ask again, who do you think you could buy for £35m (or whatever price you think he'll fetch)?

It's pretty difficult to give individual targets as like you, I have no idea who would be available and how much a club would demand for them.

But it's pretty clear that with a significant amount of money coming from Torres' transfer (if he were to leave), we'd be in a position to go out and bid for 3 or 4 of the likes of a Defoe or a Crouch (I'm just using them as an example as they were players that cost £10-15m when you signed them) if they were to become available.

If by Championship, you mean being condemned to UEFA Cup football at best, then yes.

Spurs were condemned to the Uefa Cup when they didn't qualify for CL 2 seasons ago and 3 seasons ago and 4 seasons ago etc etc etc? Yet if Liverpool fail to qualify for the CL this year we are? :o

You won't be able to compete unless you have some serious player investment.

Konchesky and Poulsen, these are the kinds of players you could afford, when really you need players like Bale and Van der Vaart.

What does 'serious player investment' equate to? We made an operating profit of ~£35m as of our last set of accounts and a large proportion of lost CL revenue has been made up through 1 single sponsorship deal.

Even if you conservatively estimated we'd make £20m now, no new owner would have to make significant investments into the side beyond what the club is already generating.

The reason why we could only afford the likes of Poulsen now is because of the debt burden we're under, that is likely to go very shortly.

Soldato

;)

Bale and VdV? Who cost what? £5m and £8m? Not exactly breaking the bank is it.

We have no need to go out and splash £20m each on 4 players, we just need to do what teams normally did before Roman and Sheikh turned up and try to buy smart.

Permabanned
Firstly Torres wouldn't be sold for £35m regardless of him wanting to leave or not

I wonder how much you said it would take to buy Alonso and Mascherano the year before they declared themselves unhappy? How much do you think Torres will be sold for if he demands a transfer?

and secondly you actually paid ~£16m for Keane.

Spurs paid £12.5m up front with add ons up to £16m, add ons clauses that I cannot see being met due to his No.4 status in the team. He cost spurs £12.5m.

However my point wasn't a literal 1, I was merely stating that the amount of money we could get for Torres would allow us to sign 3 or 4 top players.

That's the thing though, you can't go out and sign 3 or 4 top players just like that, even with a £40m kitty. Unless the manager finds bargains, an established top class domestic player will cost £15m easy. And even if you throw big money around £20m there is no guarantee that the player will work (Aquilani).

Your spine is crumbling, with Alonso and Mascherano in the middle you were amazing, now you are really stuggling to both create and boss games.

And what are you basing this prediction on? Read it in the Daily Mail along with the story about Spurs earning £50m for the CL?

Where did I say Spurs will earn £50m from the CL? :confused: FYI I think Spurs will make about £30m from the CL TV rights and bonuses, plus £5m from the additional shirt sponsorship deal.

If clubs have money to spend players become available. City's spending isn't likely to be anything like what it has been, they'll be just looking to add a couple of 'star' players to the squad they've bought in the past couple of seasons.

Possibly, but if a top player comes available I don't doubt Man City will throw another £200,000 a week contract at a player or three.

Also the major clubs in Europe hardly splashed the cash this summer either.

Yeah, £70m here, £75m there, £50m there - pocket change. :D

It's pretty difficult to give individual targets as like you, I have no idea who would be available and how much a club would demand for them.

You have just as much idea as Roy Hodgson, everyone watches the same players. I do think we have hit a strange time in transfers, I think the easy credit of previous years has dried up and with it the amounts we've been seeing will go down.

But it's pretty clear that with a significant amount of money coming from Torres' transfer (if he were to leave), we'd be in a position to go out and bid for 3 or 4 of the likes of a Defoe or a Crouch (I'm just using them as an example as they were players that cost £10-15m when you signed them) if they were to become available.

That's the thing though, Defoe and Crouch were both absolute bargains. If you were buying players like that a few months ago, you'd be paying far more due to the inflated nature of the market.

Any top player Liverpool FC want will get snapped up by someone in the Champions League, so they are left with holding on to their top players and bringing in enough quality to get them back there this summer or possibly face the chances of them becoming a top 4 force decline remarkably.

Spurs were condemned to the Uefa Cup when they didn't qualify for CL 2 seasons ago and 3 seasons ago and 4 seasons ago etc etc etc? Yet if Liverpool fail to qualify for the CL this year we are? :o

And why were Spurs condemned with UEFA cup football? Because the top 4 has been largely a closed shop of elite clubs in recent history, mainly due to Champions League revenue.

Doe you think one of Arsenal, Manchester Utd and Chelsea are going to drop out of the four; or do you think you can compete against Man City and Spurs for 4th?

What does 'serious player investment' equate to? We made an operating profit of ~£35m as of our last set of accounts and a large proportion of lost CL revenue has been made up through 1 single sponsorship deal.

Even if you conservatively estimated we'd make £20m now, no new owner would have to make significant investments into the side beyond what the club is already generating.

The reason why we could only afford the likes of Poulsen now is because of the debt burden we're under, that is likely to go very shortly.

For your clubs "history", I would hope so. :p

Man of Honour
I think £35m sounds a lot for Torres, his quality is easily worth that sort of money, but his fitness levels just aren't good enough.

Man of Honour
Slight problem in losing Torres, you'd be losing your greatest asset - a world class striker. What players at the club would replace his goal contribution; Kuyt - the workhorse with a "Heskey" like score rate (1 in 4), N'Gog - with his lack of goals, Babel?

I was actually counting on keeping Torres.

Torres, Gerrard, Honda, Defour. Very nice little diamond that imo.

Man of Honour
Let me get this straight. You're saying Liverpools time as a top four club is over forever unless we get rich owners which we aren't or bring through some youth players?

Yep, he is saying forever...not just for the next 5 years, or the next 20 years, or the next 500 years...but forever !!! dun dun dun !!

Hyperbole at its finest.

Don
I wonder how much you said it would take to buy Alonso and Mascherano the year before they declared themselves unhappy? How much do you think Torres will be sold for if he demands a transfer?

I said we should look to get £20-25m for Alonso the summer that he left for £30-35m and the summer before Masch left (not sure if I said it) but I'd have hoped for £35m. This summer though I said we should look to get ~£30m for him however I also said his situation was complicated by the fact that had we not sold him this summer he'd have left for considerably less due to the time left on his contract. And we got £20-24m depending on clauses.

As for Torres; I've said many times before, the only realistic club I can see him joining in the short-term is City in which case we'll hopefully take them to the cleaners. Obviously his form this season will effect his fee but I'd be shocked at anything under £45m.

edit: City are rumoured to have offered £60m+ for last summer.

Spurs paid £12.5m up front with add ons up to £16m, add ons clauses that I cannot see being met due to his No.4 status in the team. He cost spurs £12.5m.
No you paid an initial fee of ~£12m with a further ~£4m guaranteed (some said that £4m was linked to your survival) plus further 'optimistic add-ons', which reportedly could have made Liverpool a profit on the deal.

That's the thing though, you can't go out and sign 3 or 4 top players just like that, even with a £40m kitty. Unless the manager finds bargains, an established top class domestic player will cost £15m easy. And even if you throw big money around £20m there is no guarantee that the player will work (Aquilani).

Why can't you go out and buy 3 or 4 ~£15m players just like that? Didn't Spurs sign Palacios, Keane and Defoe in the January window which is generally very quiet?

Your spine is crumbling, with Alonso and Mascherano in the middle you were amazing, now you are really stuggling to both create and boss games.

I agree, however it's not impossible to turn around. Look at Spurs' spine from 3 years ago compared to now.

Where did I say Spurs will earn £50m from the CL? :confused: FYI I think Spurs will make about £30m from the CL TV rights and bonuses, plus £5m from the additional shirt sponsorship deal.

Sorry, it was a thow away comment because of the nonsense you came out with in the other thread.

Possibly, but if a top player comes available I don't doubt Man City will throw another £200,000 a week contract at a player or three.

We're not going to be competing with City for signing the few star players that will become available.

Yeah, £70m here, £75m there, £50m there - pocket change. :D
Who exactly spent £75m or even £50m this summer? :confused:

Real's spending cut back dramatically, Barca signed a couple of expensive players but had to sell to fund that and even Inter were selling players this summer. Other than City, it was only really Milan that spent a significant amount.

You have just as much idea as Roy Hodgson, everyone watches the same players. I do think we have hit a strange time in transfers, I think the easy credit of previous years has dried up and with it the amounts we've been seeing will go down.

I can watch as much as I like. I can't pick up the phone and make an enquiry for a player though. Your guess is as good as mine as to who would be available and how much they'd cost.

That's the thing though, Defoe and Crouch were both absolute bargains. If you were buying players like that a few months ago, you'd be paying far more due to the inflated nature of the market.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. Defoe cost you how much more than you sold him for? Bargain?

And you paid a similar amount for Crouch than what Pompey paid us 18 months previous. Taking into account his age, he's fee was a fair reflection of his value.
Any top player Liverpool FC want will get snapped up by someone in the Champions League, so they are left with holding on to their top players and bringing in enough quality to get them back there this summer or possibly face the chances of them becoming a top 4 force decline remarkably.

Again using Spurs as an comparrison; how did you manage to sign all the players that you did to make it into the CL? After all any player you wanted joined a CL side, right?

And why were Spurs condemned with UEFA cup football? Because the top 4 has been largely a closed shop of elite clubs in recent history, mainly due to Champions League revenue.
:o

You missed the point. Spurs weren't condemned, they made it into the CL. But if revenue is your only reasoning then it's not likely to apply to Liverpool because even without CL football we're able to compete with 2-3 of the 5 sides competing.
Doe you think one of Arsenal, Manchester Utd and Chelsea are going to drop out of the four; or do you think you can compete against Man City and Spurs for 4th?

In the short-term Arsenal are the most vulnerable of those 3 and in the longer term who knows what the situation will be at Utd. Competing with City in the longer term is going to be very difficult but I'm more than confident that we'll be able to challenge and surpass you. Not this season but within a couple of seasons.

Anyway, lets not keep going around in circles. What you're coming out with is hysterical nonsense that you're likely to read in the Daily Mail or S*n.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I was actually counting on keeping Torres.

Torres, Gerrard, Honda, Defour. Very nice little diamond that imo.
Never going to happen. Roy's already bought players for those positions and he's ordered his scouts to look for four first team players for positions he couldn't 'weaken' in the summer so I'd be very surprised if any more central players were brought in. Having said that, he doesn't appear to rate width so perhaps he will :o

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Never going to happen. Roy's already bought players for those positions and he's ordered his scouts to look for four first team players for positions he couldn't 'weaken' in the summer so I'd be very surprised if any more central players were brought in. Having said that, he doesn't appear to rate width so perhaps he will :o

Yeah, I dont think we'll go for those players either. At least certainly not Honda, maybe...just maybe theres a chance of Defour though. Its more a list of who I would like that doesnt cost a fortune. :)

Soldato
things are going to be swinging much more in Liverpool's favour over City in the next few years anyway. As soon as these new spending rules come in Liverpool's greater ability to generate revenue will have a telling effect.

Realistically no one is going to choose City over Liverpool are they? I give City this season to get in the champions league or things will start to balance out again.

Don
I'm far from convinced that there won't be a way to get around these new rules though.

If these rules are able to be enforced and our owners live up to what's being said about them (regarding debt etc) then we could be in a very good position.

Soldato
I'm far from convinced that there won't be a way to get around these new rules though.

If these rules are able to be enforced and our owners live up to what's being said about them (regarding debt etc) then we could be in a very good position.

well we'll see but realistically it'd have to be pretty devious to help a club that made an actual 100million cash loss and has a wage bill that is almost 100% of it's income manage to convince everyone that they've somehow increased their takings to 400million or so over the course of one summer.

Don
That assumes that common sense is being used.

I can't remember many times where common sense has prevailed over technicalities and loopholes when footballing governing bodies are concerned.

Soldato
Well Masch and Alonso didn't cost £50m and if Torres is to leave, the money we'd get would go a long way to pay for a total rebuild of our squad.

I'm not expecting instant results but the stuff you and sonny were coming out with was nothing short of nonsense.
Agreed. I have no worries about Liverpool making the top four again, possibly even this season. We've had some tough fixtures so far and despite being in the bottom three we're only five points off a top four spot.

We should only be as worried as Arsenal, Spurs, City and even Utd. It's going to get tough at the top but I'd say as things stand only Chelsea is guaranteed a top four finish.

With the new Financial Fair Play rules coming in spending will be regulated by revenue. Liverpool’s potential for creating revenue is second only to Utd but they have large debt related problems at the moment but on a bigger scale than Liverpool.

If the sale goes through this week and the debt is cleared our financial position will be very favorable and the rebuilding can commence. The only doubt I have at the moment is if Roy has the ability to make the right purchases in the transfer market. I don’t think he can afford to make many mistakes.

EDIT: As I understand it whatever the outcome of the court case on Tuesday there will be an appeal. If the appeal date is set for after the Friday RBS deadline I get the feeling the deadline will be extended until after the appeal has been heard. It's not in the best interests of RBS to scupper a take over by sending the club into administration (and getting the nine point reduction) if the final ruling is in favor of allowing the existing board to the NESV.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom