Liverpool Takeover Thread

Don
EDIT: As I understand it whatever the outcome of the court case on Tuesday there will be an appeal. If the appeal date is set for after the Friday RBS deadline I get the feeling the deadline will be extended until after the appeal has been heard. It's not in the best interests of RBS to scupper a take over by sending the club into administration (and getting the nine point reduction) if the final ruling is in favor of allowing the existing board to the NESV.

It's almost certain that RBS won't call the loan in until every avenue for the board to force the sale through is exhausted, even if that goes weeks beyond the deadline. Broughton is quoted as saying that beyond the court case next week, the board have a few more ways they believe they can force the sale.

Let's just hope they can deliver the knockout blow at the earliest possible opportunity though.

Caporegime
are you allowed to make a donation to a football club?

if you are then the new rules would be pointless,

hi, im sheikh mansour and i want to donate £500 million to man city.

what was your income this year? £600 million thanks to the £500 million donation.

how much did you spend? £300 million meaning we made a profit of £300 million and aren't operating at a loss.

Caporegime
You have an answer for everything, dont you? :p

seems like a simple way to me of getting around any rules brought in. or you could always cook the books so to speak by getting a dodgy accountant in or doing it yourself. there will be ways around it, so i doubt man city or chelsea will be in any trouble what so ever.

Soldato
are you allowed to make a donation to a football club?

if you are then the new rules would be pointless,

hi, im sheikh mansour and i want to donate £500 million to man city.

what was your income this year? £600 million thanks to the £500 million donation.

how much did you spend? £300 million meaning we made a profit of £300 million and aren't operating at a loss.

No, you can't do that.

Soldato
The amount you can 'donate' is going down each year from 2012 i believe.
From about 25 mill / year in 2012 to 2.5 mill / year in 2015.
Only revenue from 'PL approved' sources can be used on wages and transfers, running of the club, etc.

Associate
Grabiner joins Liverpool dream team as takeover dispute heads for courts

One Essex Court heavyweight Lord Grabiner QC is set to represent Liverpool Football Club as the boardroom wrangle over the club's future moves into the courts this week.
Grabiner (pictured) has been instructed to advise Liverpool FC alongside magic circle firm Slaughter and May on the proposed £300m sale of the club to Boston Red Sox owners New England Sport Ventures (NESV).
One Essex Court's Jamie Goldsmith, son of former attorney general Peter Goldsmith, has also been instructed to provide advice.
The Liverpool takeover is dependent on the resolution of a dispute between the clubs's board, which supports the sale to NESV, and US owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett, who believe the offer undervalues the club.
The case is due to go to court later this week.

More Here

Associate
Only revenue from 'PL approved' sources can be used on wages and transfers, running of the club, etc.

I still can't see how they can actually stop them putting money in. For example what's to stop them charging £30 million for an executive box for the season?

Soldato
there's only 2 ways of them getting into the top 4 again that i can see.

option 1 is - a good set of youth players coming up from their academy which are classed as world class. (1 in a million shot)

option 2 is - a rich mentalist (1 in a thousand shot)

so i would say never ever - unless 1 of those 2 extremely rare things happens.
First reaction: Ahahahahahahahah ok buddy.

Second, considered reaction: You honestly think that if someone took control of one of the biggest clubs in the country, and simply had them turning their own operating profit into spending power every season, they couldn't challenge for the top 4? Despite the fact that Arsenal, Tottenham, Everton, Villa and Man United manage it? Ahahahahahah ok buddy.

Soldato
I still can't see how they can actually stop them putting money in. For example what's to stop them charging £30 million for an executive box for the season?
Because it's pretty obvious?

I'm pretty sure that, short of straight fraud on the balance books, its going to be tough for clubs to have cash secretly injected, since they operating income/costs is a very clearly defined section of the finances.

Associate
Because it's pretty obvious?

I'm pretty sure that, short of straight fraud on the balance books, its going to be tough for clubs to have cash secretly injected, since they operating income/costs is a very clearly defined section of the finances.

There are no rules to say that they can't charge £10m per box. Also no rules to say that the Roman's company can't sponsor Chelsea for £100m a season. There will be lots of ways around these rules, they will make little difference.

Caporegime
That might lead to clubs getting massive cash "donations" to inflate their budget until they're not allowed.

Soldato
There are no rules to say that they can't charge £10m per box. Also no rules to say that the Roman's company can't sponsor Chelsea for £100m a season. There will be lots of ways around these rules, they will make little difference.

Erm they've stated those will be outlawed. You also couldn't give 500 people a million quid a piece and tell them to buy merchandise.

Associate
COURT 18
Before MR JUSTICE FLOYD
Tuesday, 12 October 2010
At half past 10
Skeleton arguments and bundles for any listed application must be delivered by 10 a.m. on the day before the hearing of the application: see paragraph 7.22 of the Chancery Guide (December 2009). The Chancery Listing Office will accept them if delivered to Room WG4 in time. The papers for any urgent unlisted application (and any skeleton argument or bundle sought to be delivered out of time) must be delivered directly to the Judge's Clerk.

Further directions and information about interim applications, and the skeleton arguments and bundles to be prepared for them, will be found in chapters 5 and 7 of the Chancery Guide.

Attention is drawn in particular to paragraphs 7.31 and 32 of the Chancery Guide, which warn of the consequences, including costs sanctions, which may follow from the failure to lodge skeleton arguments and bundles on time.

APPLICATIONS
Exception VAR Ltd v Goff
Drummond v Drummond
Superyachts.com Ltd v Bodington
Wilkinson v North
Lloyds TSB v Williams Gee Yeung Law
Slutsker v Haron Investments
Royal Bank of Scotland PLC v Hicks & ors

Have fun hicks.

Soldato
Yeah ok, I'm sure some really obvious method of adding money that you thought up in five minutes will have completely skipped their stringent financial rules.

"What's that? You have a cheque from a Mr. R. Abramovic, covering an order for 500 million replica shirts? Seems perfectly sound to me, go right ahead!"

Soldato
There won't be many ways around the rules, clubs will have to explain where the money has come from if there is even a bit of doubt into it's legitimacy.

Back
Top Bottom