Liverpool Takeover Thread

Associate
NESV deal is in 'best interests' of Hicks and Gillett

By Harry Harris, Football Correspondent

October 9, 2010

Liverpool's ace card against Tom Hicks and George Gillett in the looming court case is that the £300 million takeover by New England Sports Ventures is actually in the best interests of the outgoing owners - because it wipes out a massive £110 million worth of personal guarantees to the Royal Bank of Scotland.

Tom Hicks and George Gillett are on their way out of Liverpool and the Premier League

Hicks and Gillett stand to lose a total of £254 million if the move by the owners of the Boston Red Sox collapses and they cannot find a replacement new owner by Friday.

ESPNsoccernet can exclusively reveal the cornerstone of Liverpool's case at the High Court next week is that the takeover is in everyone's best interests. The hearing is not likely until Tuesday at the earliest.

An inside source said: "It's in Hicks and Gillett's best interests, the board will argue, because it caps their losses at £144 million. Part of the deal with NESV is that the Royal Bank of Scotland wipe out the £110 million of personal guarantees."

An out of court settlement with Hicks and Gillett cannot be ruled out as the board is so confident that they will win the case.

Liverpool chairman Martin Broughton cannot comment on the specifics of the case, but he has told ESPNsoccernet that he believes he can win the case and the takeover can go through.

Behind the scenes 'negotiations' are clearly going on between the warring factions aimed at avoiding a messy public court hearing that would tear the club apart. Equally, the court hearing, which comes just days before Friday's deadline with the Royal Bank of Scotland, is unlikely to be the end of the legal wranglings, as whoever losses the initial hearing is sure to seek an appeal.

On the issue of an appeal, Liverpool's lawyers will argue that if Hicks and Gillett lose and the takeover can go through, and they call for an appeal, it would seriously jeopardise the takeover, and potentially throw the club into administration, thereby putting the club's survival at risk.

If the legal actions drag to a second hearing, it is inevitable that RBS will have to take some decision on Friday, most likely to suspend the outcome of whether to put the club into administration pending the final court room verdict. The logical solution is for both sets of lawyers to find some sort of middle ground, even if it is a settlement on the steps of the High Court. There is no direct contact anymore between the factions, with Hicks and Gillett one one side and the three English members of the board led by Broughton on the other.

Broughton told ESPNsoccernet exclusively: "All of these issues I cannot possibly comment on, as this is going to court, one would assume. We have no date for the hearing yet, but we are told it is a 'short order' and so it would be any day hopefully early next week. The lawyers have told me I am not unable to talk about the case directly."

However, without going into any legal detail, Broughton said: "Yes, I am confident we shall win. However we all know when you have two sets of lawyers they are both telling you that they are 100% confident that they will win."

There is one central key issue of the entire legal procedure, and Broughton made that abundantly clear: "We are going to the courts seeking clarification that we are able to proceed with the sale of Liverpool FC."

Although Hicks publicly declared that he had given no undertaking directly to Broughton about the constitution of the board and the sale process being determined by the board (rather than the shareholders when he did his deal with RBS to extend the facility for six months), Broughton confirmed that such an undertaking was given to RBS.

Broughton said: "The obligation was given to RBS as part of the loan extension agreement. If an undertaking was given to the major creditor, than an undertaking was given."

In another twist, leaked minutes from a Liverpool board meeting allegedly contain Hicks making personal and abusive comments about Liverpool fans, which will increase the hatred already felt by the supporters against the current owners.
----

Can't wait to hear this.

Man of Honour
A £300million offer to buy Liverpool by New England Sports Ventures (NESV) will be withdrawn if the club is deducted nine points, Sky Sports News understands.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6437201,00.html

That wouldn't be good!

Roy could go too -

Roy Hodgson faces an uncertain future at Liverpool after chairman Martin Broughton's confirmation that clauses exist in the manager's contract to cater for a change in club ownership.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6437052,00.html

Caporegime
i dont understand who would pay for a club, which has been leaking talent for the past few seasons and are nowhere near what they used to be.

Arbeloa, Alonso, Mascherano all out within a couple of seasons.

Alonso is probably the best central midfielder in the world.

Mascherano is probably the best central defensive midfielder in the world.

Arbeloa gets regular games for Real Madrid which is a top flight European powerhouse.

Who have they brought in to replace these players? Guys who are not even half as talented. Liverpool are a huge financial hole, which needs about £100 million worth of "decent" signings to gain a top 4 position, thats on top of wiping out their debt and on top of buying the club.

The only hope of them ever getting into the top 4 again is if some rich mentalist comes in and buys them (aka man city).

Man of Honour
The only hope of them ever getting into the top 4 again is if some rich mentalist comes in and buys them (aka man city).

"ever" is a bit of a strong word, who knows what might happen in 80 years time. Granted that , the only hope of them getting into the top 4 again in the very near future is if some rich mentalist comes in and buys them...but not "ever".

Caporegime
"ever" is a bit of a strong word, who knows what might happen in 80 years time. Granted that , the only hope of them getting into the top 4 again in the very near future is if some rich mentalist comes in and buys them...but not "ever".

there's only 2 ways of them getting into the top 4 again that i can see.

option 1 is - a good set of youth players coming up from their academy which are classed as world class. (1 in a million shot)

option 2 is - a rich mentalist (1 in a thousand shot)

so i would say never ever - unless 1 of those 2 extremely rare things happens.

Permabanned
Depends how the financial situation changes, but right now it's looking a shop Liverpool can't afford to go in, and the longer they can't afford it, the higher the price of entry will become.

Caporegime
Let me get this straight. You're saying Liverpools time as a top four club is over forever unless we get rich owners which we aren't or bring through some youth players?

Depends how the financial situation changes, but right now it's looking a shop Liverpool can't afford to go in, and the longer they can't afford it, the higher the price of entry will become.

exactly my point.

their time is over - maybe forever.

Don

After all Spurs are making easily £50m more than Liverpool because they're in the CL, right? :rolleyes:

Without the debt burden we're under, even without a mega rich owner, we'll be in a financial position to be able to compete for a top 4 spot.

Chelsea and City are obviously in a league of their own however there wouldn't be a massively uneven playing field beyond them. It will clearly take time to repair the damage that's been done to our squad over the last couple of years but it's far from impossible.

Permabanned
After all Spurs are making easily £50m more than Liverpool because they're in the CL, right? :rolleyes:

Without the debt burden we're under, even without a mega rich owner, we'll be in a financial position to be able to compete for a top 4 spot.

Compete maybe, but you need serious investment in your squad before that will happen. Getting knocked out all the cup competitions might be a blessing in disguise and allow full concentration on the league however.

Chelsea and City are obviously in a league of their own however there wouldn't be a massively uneven playing field beyond them. It will clearly take time to repair the damage that's been done to our squad over the last couple of years but it's far from impossible.

We shall see. :)

Don
I thought it was pretty clear I wasn't talking about specifically this season.

As I said, it will take time to rebuild our squad to what it was 2 seasons ago but it wouldn't take 'serious investment'. A couple of seasons of being able to spend the money the club is generating without it going on interest and bank charges and we'd be in a decent position again. After all we competed for a top 4 spot up until the last couple of games of last season, and our squad hasn't been damaged that much since then.

Our problems this season has been more down to mismanagement than the strength of our squad.

Permabanned
You lost Alonso last summer which tore the creative heart out of your midfield, this summer you lost Mascherano who provided the tenacity. To replace these players will either take a stroke of genius due to excellent scouting or cost upwards of £50m.

You'll be lucky to keep Torres past this summer unless a miraculous turn around happens soon.

Don
Well Masch and Alonso didn't cost £50m and if Torres is to leave, the money we'd get would go a long way to pay for a total rebuild of our squad.

I'm not expecting instant results but the stuff you and sonny were coming out with was nothing short of nonsense.

Man of Honour
You lost Alonso last summer which tore the creative heart out of your midfield, this summer you lost Mascherano who provided the tenacity. To replace these players will either take a stroke of genius due to excellent scouting or cost upwards of £50m.

You'll be lucky to keep Torres past this summer unless a miraculous turn around happens soon.

I would be extremely happy if we replaced them with Steven Defour (who I think is an absolutely fantastic CM) and Keisuke Honda (who I think is an absolutely fantastic AM). Probable outlay to get those two? I reckon it would be around £30m for the pair. Defour, Honda and Gerrard would make a right sexy midfield triangle imo :)

Permabanned
Well Masch and Alonso didn't cost £50m and if Torres is to leave, the money we'd get would go a long way to pay for a total rebuild of our squad.

I would be extremely happy if we replaced them with Steven Defour (who I think is an absolutely fantastic CM) and Keisuke Honda (who I think is an absolutely fantastic AM). Probable outlay to get those two? I reckon it would be around £30m for the pair. Defour, Honda and Gerrard would make a right sexy midfield triangle imo :)

Slight problem in losing Torres, you'd be losing your greatest asset - a world class striker. What players at the club would replace his goal contribution; Kuyt - the workhorse with a "Heskey" like score rate (1 in 4), N'Gog - with his lack of goals, Babel?

It's clear you'd need an immediate replacement, well who?

I'm not expecting instant results but the stuff you and sonny were coming out with was nothing short of nonsense.

Unless you get instant results you're in BIG trouble, a game against Everton couldn't come at a more fortunate time. But such is the nature of these games, they could save or condemn you further.

Back
Top Bottom