Liverpool Takeover Thread

5.25pm: So, the board and RBS has won it's London court battle. But, what exactly this means is another question. Will the Dallas court now back off and withdraw its injunction?
This expert opinion from Mark Stephens, sports lawyer and international litigator at Finers Stephens Innocent:
The application for a TRO (injunction) in a Texas City court is one last, desperate, throw of the dice for Gillett & Hicks reveals how bankrupt their legal position is...basic principles of international law are (1) that an injunction issued by a Texas Court has no effect on actions in this (the UK) country; and, (2) that the court first dealing with the case should be the only court dealing with the matter to the end. Therefore, the Texas court will have to relinquish control to the High Court in London...if Hicks and Gilett really wanted to stop this transaction they needed an injunction from the High Court in London and another against New England Sports Ventures in Boston where that company is located.
I confidently predict that RBS and the Directors will be able to shrug off this irksome litigation which seems calculated to delay the takeover which will ultimately be consumated.

----

Well in Robbo! A decent united fan, what a novelty! Reading some of the crap on redcafe made me ... :x

Twitter:
So, Lord Grabiner QC now has more wins this season than Roy Hodgson in the league. Come on Roy, pull your finger out son

lol

I think every football fan will be pleased when this whole fiasco is sorted out. No one wants to see liverpool in administration so let's hope this finally allows the sale to go through.

5.36pm: Judge gives H&G until 4pm tomorrow (London time) to comply with order

The hell does that mean? :(

"Okay, lets just ignore it untill 4pm tomorrow and drag it through the courts, yet again!"

A lot of people expect RBS and NESV to still try and get the Dallas case lifted just to cover themselves. Hopefully that will be pretty straight forward now.

5.36pm: Judge gives H&G until 4pm tomorrow (London time) to comply with order

The hell does that mean? :(

"Okay, lets just ignore it untill 4pm tomorrow and drag it through the courts, yet again!"

Just a guess but maybe that they've got until 4pm to drop their case in Dallas or face charges of contempt over here?

NESV say that H&G need to withdraw their claim by 3pm in order for the takeover to go through tomorrow but today's judgement gives H&G until 4pm to comply.

Wonder what the odds of H&G waiting until the last minute to comply? :o

SSN are reporting that a new hearing regarding the H&G injunction case is taking place at 6pm (our time, so now :/) in Dallas.

edit: SSN are now saying it's at 7pm UK time.

Last edited:
"My name is Henry Adams and I am an international litigator at a firm called Birketts LLP. I acted for one of the parties in a recent leading English anti-suit injunction case which went to Court of Appeal level. I'm also a Red but that's by the by.

The comments on your blog from Mark Stephens are unfortunately not quite right. Here is the position:

The Texan Court injunction is binding on the board et al in the UK, until the injunction there is lifted by the Texan Court. The anti-suit injunction is not an order against the Texan Court itself. Instead, it is effectively an order compelling H&G to apply to the Texan Court to lift the injunction, on the basis that the Texan Court has no jurisdiction to determine this case. H&G therefore face a choice: either they lift the injunction or be in contempt of the English Court anti-suit injunction, the punishment for which can include imprisonment. H&G would most likely not want to return to the UK with contempt proceedings hanging over their heads.

Hope that helps - fascinating scenario!

Henry"

This is getting mental, you'd think that they'd catch a glance of themselves in the mirror in the morning and wonder what the hell they are doing

Back
Top Bottom