Liverpool Takeover Thread

Man of Honour
I'm being facetious here, but wouldn't it be funny if in some way or another history repeated itself straight away? :p Great, now I have to deal with more self righteous red fans. They were largely nice quiet in the last year or two.

So could Liverpool be back. It's early days in the season yet, think it's seriously 6 for 4 Champ's League spots again?

No

(fingers crossed)

Hoping that they miss out on Europa too.

Don
AC Milan and Internazionale manage it, and their fans are much more hardcore hooligan types than Everton & Liverpool fans. There isn't any reason really not to go for a nice, large joint stadium.

One quite large reason is that Everton have no hope of being able to pay their way.

Man of Honour
AC Milan and Internazionale manage it, and their fans are much more hardcore hooligan types than Everton & Liverpool fans. There isn't any reason really not to go for a nice, large joint stadium.

Precisely, and to be frank, the positives far outweigh the negatives, neither team can realistically carry the cost of an awesome stadium individually yet both need improved ones. Combined it would mean a sharing of the cost, the freeing up of additional land for the local community and the chance to build an utterly fantastic large stadium. If you go by the head its by far the more sensible option, its just a question of whether or not comparatively petty rivalries can be put aside for the betterment of both. As I say, all my life I've been against such an idea but the more I think about it , the more I think it actually makes sense. At the absolute VERY least its something that should be considered and not simply outrightly dismissed for a them and us attitude.

Soldato
One quite large reason is that Everton have no hope of being able to pay their way.

This is one of the biggest obstacles its why Everton were so keen on the deal with Tesco as they didn't need to pay any up front construction costs.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I thought the whole joint stadium had been discussed at length and it was a no go.

Don't really see any need to have a joint stadium.

Its possibly been discussed at length, but I think new owners should be looking at every aspect of the club afresh, even if the outcome is the same, not just ignore any aspect due to historical decisions.

I can see the need for a joint stadium if it would work out better and cheaper than an individual stadium. Of course on the other hand they might just opt to tart up the existing stadium a bit (this is in fact what I firmly believe they will do) rather than building any new stadium. The question then will be how long that is sufficient for before its needed again.

Don
Its possibly been discussed at length, but I think new owners should be looking at every aspect of the club afresh, even if the outcome is the same, not just ignore any aspect due to historical decisions.

I can see the need for a joint stadium if it would work out better and cheaper than an individual stadium. Of course on the other hand they might just opt to tart up the existing stadium a bit (this is in fact what I firmly believe they will do) rather than building any new stadium. The question then will be how long that is sufficient for before its needed again.

All the noises coming from Broughton is that they'll look at every possible avenue but that they'd also consult the fans. So I suspect they'll look at it but I don't it will ever get seriously considered.

Also, you can't just look at what's the cheapest option, you've got to balance the cost against the potential upside of each option.

Man of Honour
All the noises coming from Broughton is that they'll look at every possible avenue but that they'd also consult the fans. So I suspect they'll look at it but I don't it will ever get seriously considered.

Also, you can't just look at what's the cheapest option, you've got to balance the cost against the potential upside of each option.

I hope its something they look at with an open mind, as you rightly say the upsides against the downsides need to be looked at. I personally think there are more upsides to a shared stadium than downsides, but as long as they look at it with an open mind and not view it with any preconceptions then I am happy with whatever decision is ultimately made.

Associate
John Henry today addressed the world's media alongside Chairman Martin Broughton, Managing Director Christian Purslow and Commercial Director Ian Ayre as news broke that New England Sports Ventures had completed the purchase of Liverpool Football Club.

In what were frenzied scenes inside the lobby of the offices of the law firm Slaughter and May, fans joined the press in trying to get the first word on a story that has never been out of the news headlines all week.

Here's a full transcript of what was said in front of the media scrum:

Martin Broughton: "As every Liverpool fan knows, the most nerve-wracking way to win a match is in a penalty shoot-out but in the end, as long as you get the right result, it is worth the wait. And we have got the right result. John, well done."

John Henry: "I am proud and humble. We've got a lot of work to do and I can't tell you how happy I am that we have finally, finally got to this point."

Journalist: What can you tell us about the deal Mr Henry? How much is the deal worth and what are you hoping to achieve as Liverpool owner?

JH: "I have actually no idea what the deal is worth. It depends on what day it is."

Journalist: What's your message for the fans?

JH: "We're not going to have a lot to say, our actions will hopefully speak for us. We are going to do a lot of listening and we have a lot to learn. Our actions will hopefully speak for us."

Journalist: How much are you going to invest in Liverpool's squad to return it to its former glories?

JH: "It's too early to say what we're going to do but we're here to win, we have a tradition of winning - we (the Boston Red Sox) are the second-highest spending club in Major League Baseball and we're here to win, we will do whatever is necessary."

Journalist: Mr Henry, what do you think of the legal challenge made by Tom Hicks and George Gillett? They are claiming damages of one billion dollars?

JH: "Well, why is it only that much?"

Journalist: Will you build a new stadium for Liverpool?

JH: "It's too early to say what's going to happen on the stadium front."

Journalist: Will you be at Sunday's Merseyside derby?

JH: "I think it's better for our first experience with the supporters to be at home."

Journalist: Martin, what's this period been like for you?

MB: "It's been pretty stressful but we've been confident all the way through that we would get there. We knew we were doing the right thing, would get justice and I think we got that in the end."

Journalist: Mr Broughton, what happens to you personally now, as Chairman and Christian Purslow as Managing Director?

MB: "For the time being I'll be staying on in a transitional role as John works out how he wants to run the club."

Journalist: Can you guarantee this is not a leverage buyer?

JH: "I can guarantee that."

Journalist: How are you funding Liverpool, Mr Henry?

JH: "With pounds."

Soldato
RBS: “RBS is aware of reports that Mr Hicks and Mr Gillett may intend to pursue further litigation in relation to the sale of Liverpool F.C. The English Courts have described claims made to date as ‘not realistic and abusive’. Any further claims against RBS will be vigorously opposed.”

Hope RBS take em to the cleaners, sue for a figure like, i dont know ... $1.6 billion ?

Apparently so, that was one of the conditions the board imposed.

Time will tell if they can resists using the club to leverage debt at a later date.

Wont happen, doesn't need to happen. Any (Major) loans will be secured against NSEV as a whole (their baseball team, TV station, horse racing establishment amongst others) and thus the club wont have to suffer the burden at all.

-edit-
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6446564,00.html
Duo to drop damages claim
An attorney for Tom Hicks and George Gillett claims the duo are set to drop their £1billion lawsuit.

The American pair were planning to seek $1.6billion in damages following the contentious sale of Liverpool Football Club against their wishes.

John W Henry's New England Sports Ventures took control of the Reds on Friday, put the finishing touches to a £300million deal.

Hicks and Gillett, co-owners at Anfield since 2007, had opposed that deal as the offer fell some way short of their valuation of the club.

However, their efforts to block the bid were scuppered when a High Court ruling sided in favour of their creditors, the Royal Bank of Scotland.

Hicks and Gillett initially refused to accept their fate, though, and took their fight to the courts in the United States, obtaining a restraining order blocking the sale in a Texas court.

They do, however, appear to have now accepted that they are fighting a losing battle and are prepared to drop their damages claim.

Attorney Tom Melsheimer said that Hicks and Gillett were dropping the claim to comply with an English court order.

He did, however, say 'a different picture will be painted when the English court has a chance to hear all the facts', suggesting the fight is not over yet.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Wont happen, doesn't need to happen. Any (Major) loans will be secured against NSEV as a whole (their baseball team, TV station, horse racing establishment amongst others) and thus the club wont have to suffer the burden at all.
Why would they use any assets other than Liverpool FC to secure funds if that was the route NESV decided to go down ?

Back
Top Bottom