London pollution & ULEZ

lol I just replied in kind to your post. If people want to believe that all the scientists who are convinced about mans contribution to climate change are wrong that is up to them.
I would genuinely be interested to see your sources as well as their academic qualifications (as well as who is paying their wages) of expert who still claims there is no such thing as climate change linked to our actions.

But if you are going to try to change the actual warnings from climate scientists to say they are hysterically claiming it's going to happen immediately , then I guess I can use hyperbole as well .

we are releasing millions of tons of CO2 into the atmosphere which has been locked away for millions of years. of course that has to go somewhere .... and yes it was free once before so the planet won't care if it is free again... but it doesn't mean it will make good living for us.

however back to topic.

I wonder how the parents of Ella Adoo-Kissi-Debrah feel about the theory that cars don't contribute to crap air quality in built up areas?

I will admit about ULEZ... it does seem to have more holes in it than in a packet of polo mints.... and I can see why one may think that is to give certain people an easy out to keep them happy whilst the average person on the street just has to suck it up
How much has CO2 jumped and what is the level needed?

lol I just replied in kind to your post. If people want to believe that all the scientists who are convinced about mans contribution to climate change are wrong that is up to them.
I would genuinely be interested to see your sources as well as their academic qualifications (as well as who is paying their wages) of expert who still claims there is no such thing as climate change linked to our actions.

I heard one of these muppets on LBC at the weekend, 'Tony' phoned in all hysterical about the ULEZ saying all the usual nonsense. The academics had an "agenda" and who was paying them blah blah

And his source, his font of all knowledge that was pure and true....brown car man from YouTube

:cry: :cry: :cry:

For car occupants that’s probably correct (due to higher speeds) but not for cyclists and pedestrians although I am open to be surprised!
Well the source doesn’t specify if it is looking at peds and cyclist specifically but if it is that is fudging the stats imo.

Of course the areas with the highest density of shared space between cars and pedestrians will have the most incidents between a car and a pedestrian

Last edited:
I heard one of these muppets on LBC at the weekend, 'Tony' phoned in all hysterical about the ULEZ saying all the usual nonsense. The academics had an "agenda" and who was paying them blah blah

And his source, his font of all knowledge that was pure and true....brown car man from YouTube

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Haha I heard that too. The brown car man comment didn't help his cause. But I think his comment was taken out of context. He came across as a conspiracy theorist suggesting a particular group of people were coordinating all this. But I think what he actually meant was just to follow the money and it will be clear that many people are benefiting financially from a lot of environmental initiatives and so have a reason to push them. But he did come across as a bit of a tin foil hat in the way he said it.

Last edited:
They should ban 80% if every city's taxi fleet and force them to go electric instead of the dodgy sign off sheet they all use from the crooked MOT tester they use. That alone would improve air quality alone. But no that's far to controversial...

Haha I heard that too. The brown car man comment didn't help his cause. But I think his comment was taken out of context. He came across as a conspiracy theorist suggesting a particular group of people were coordinating all this. But I think what he actually meant was just to follow the money and it will be clear that many people are benefiting financially from a lot of environmental initiatives and so have a reason to push them. But he did come across as a bit of a tin foil hat in the way he said it.
the sad truth is there are always bad actors in every initiative. we can't let perfection be the enemy of the good however .

yes there may be corruption in any green initiatives but surely everyone knows the fossil fuel and car industry has been full of them for ever.....(or back to the 70s at any rate)

one point which has been made which I think is a good one... if there is a perfectly good and well maintained car it should not be scrapped just because of ULEZ. normally I don't support NIMBY people but this is one place where it makes sense. get these perfectly good older cars out of high density areas and they can see our their life there because scrapping good cars does not make sense....... there ARE cheap ULEZ compliant cars so the punishing poor people argument doesn't wash imo

Last edited:
They should ban 80% if every city's taxi fleet and force them to go electric instead of the dodgy sign off sheet they all use from the crooked MOT tester they use. That alone would improve air quality alone. But no that's far to controversial...

It’s already happening.

All new TfL taxis are at least PHEVs and must meet euro 6. That goes well beyond ULEZ standards.

Uber will be fully electric by 2025.

P.S. there are not actually that many taxis on the roads and they are dwarfed by the numbers of private vehicles by several orders of magnitude.

Last edited:
what a fiat 500?

If it is "cheap" then there is usually a reason.
this just isnt true any more. Cars are better made now than they ever used to be. the downside is they are not really user servicable like they were (when i was a kid my dad always had either the woolsey when i was really young or later on the morris marina in bits on the driveway......... most people cant do that now with modern cars..... but equally cars do not generally start to fall apart once they are a few years old.

Of top of head (and i am no expert so may be even more lenient than this but) any euro 5 petrol car is ULEZ compliant........ so what is that? 2007 onwards? edit its euro 4 from 2006 Diesels are a bit stricter but for good reason.

PS i may be wrong but............. iirc fiat 500s seem to have that "cool" factor (I dont know why personally).... there are much cheaper and more practical cars you could buy for the same price than those.

Last edited:
A compliant car can be up to 18 years old….
And they have all just raised in price as people scramble to buy new ones before getting shafted by the ULEZ expansion. Let's also not forget that for 2 going on 3 years the car market has been in an upheaval with used car prices shooting up due to a shortage of new cars and the current cost of living crisis just to add even more salt in the wound.

And they have all just raised in price as people scramble to buy new ones before getting shafted by the ULEZ expansion. Let's also not forget that for 2 going on 3 years the car market has been in an upheaval with used car prices shooting up due to a shortage of new cars and the current cost of living crisis just to add even more salt in the wound.
come on this just isnt the case. i just checked autotrader there are loads of cars which are compliant for not much money

really quick look and am sure there are better (there are certainly cheaper but this is one which i would drive and its practical)

EJ07 ZDL

Ford Focus Sport​

Your car is ULEZ compliant​

Last edited:
come on this just isnt the case. i just checked autotrader there are loads of cars which are compliant for not much money

really quick look and am sure there are better (there are certainly cheaper but this is one which i would drive and its practical)

EJ07 ZDL

Ford Focus Sport​

Your car is ULEZ compliant​

Which is great and all. But that particular car failed, or had advisories, on its last four MOT's on tyres and suspension. The current MOT expired in March. It's not road legal at the moment without risking it for a biscuit on its next MOT and considering its recent history it's not likely to pass without work.

Last edited:
You can get a fully electric, battery owned Renault Zoe for under £4,500 now. What a bargain price for a second car which would cost next to nothing to run for those with somewhere to charge it (which is more than you think in London).

ok fair enough i did say it was a quick google... i am not doing all the work for you, however there are regularly belting cars forsale where i work so i know they are road legal for similar price.

or are you really saying that all petrol cars from 2006 onwards for under say £2500 are wrecks? if you are well you are entitled to your view but i believe you are wrong.

PS genuine question and i may be wrong but.......... can a dealer legally sell a car without an MOT? if not then surely the car would have to have an MOT before it was sold.... so the buyer would have at least some time with a working car.

Last edited:
this just isnt true any more. Cars are better made now than they ever used to be. the downside is they are not really user servicable like they were (when i was a kid my dad always had either the woolsey when i was really young or later on the morris marina in bits on the driveway......... most people cant do that now with modern cars..... but equally cars do not generally start to fall apart once they are a few years old.

Of top of head (and i am no expert so may be even more lenient than this but) any euro 5 petrol car is ULEZ compliant........ so what is that? 2007 onwards? edit its euro 4 from 2006 Diesels are a bit stricter but for good reason.

PS i may be wrong but............. iirc fiat 500s seem to have that "cool" factor (I dont know why personally).... there are much cheaper and more practical cars you could buy for the same price than those.
I believe that modern cars simply have different issues, compared with the simpler cars of the past, from electrical problems, to being abused by owners, to problems with the undercarriage. And all of it is just more expensive to fix. Cars also being more expensive in general. You will always have the mechanically sound example of a vehicle being worth more than its more troubled brother.

The Fiat 500 was more a comment about not all cars being equal in utility rather than the actual price of a fiat 500.

Which is great and all. But that particular car failed, or had advisories, on its last four MOT's on tyres and suspension. The current MOT expired in March. It's not road legal at the moment without risking it for a biscuit on its next MOT and considering its recent history it's not likely to pass without work.
Don't worry there are plenty of places where you don't need to pay for your MOT if you don't pass ;)

On a more serious note. This car has all these issues, it is 15 years old and is still worth £2000!!! That is ridculous to me.
Also this forum is a bit more affluent (probably not the right word), many of us have PC worth more than this car. For the people who are still driving around in non-compliant petrol cars at least, £2000 may not be an easy amount to stump up at short notice.

Textbook Fox Eye thread lol.

Regarding the stats, I'm pretty sure the most number of cows get killed in abattoirs too.
Are you able to post anything other than "haha" emojis or is that the limit of your imagination and debating prowess?

Anyway, I posted a source, from the Royal Society of the Prevention of Accidents, which you then decided was untrustworthy. Good for you. Who needs experts, anyhow? We've got @Classic Blue Theme to tell us how it really is.

Also, I'm not sure why you've chosen to compare residential 20/30 zones to abattoirs. Baffling.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom