London pollution & ULEZ

on a related but separate note. i saw those tyre deflating nobends have upped their game. they vandalised .. was it 60 or 80 I can't remember JLR cars by drilling holes in all their tyres.

whilst I support encouraging cleaner vehicles these people need to be stopped.

RIP for your shiny iPace as the nobbers wont look past it being an SUV even though its a BEV ;)

RIP for your shiny iPace as the nobbers wont look past it being an SUV even though its a BEV ;)
what grinds my gears (they deflated my mates car tyres and left a note in his windscreen so I know they operate in some areas i frequent) the police are not interested.
give one of them a thick ear whilst doing a citizen's arrest however and they will be on the car owner like a Rash.
when the police are so disinterested it's no wonder people feel tempted to take the law into their own hands.
I know who vandalised my old car and even had fingerprints. the police off the record admitted they knew who it would be too but they were 17 and it was not worth the manpower.
they were not impressed when I suggested they may get a bat to the kneecaps if they tried it again instead of my calling the police (I was just venting I wouldn't really... unless they started 1st)

Last edited:
People tend not to stop doing things they feel vindicated for when it's about the survival of humanity, they will never stop.
and what do you think will happen to the let's say it was 60 sets of tyres. (could even be 240 tyres total).... are JLR going to scrap those cars and go into the push bike business? or will those brand new tyres now have to be disposed of and another 60-240 tyres replacing them.

For the people who say London air isn't polluted.

I was up in London yesterday, albeit very, very briefly. I jogged (would love to say ran but Trading Standards would have a word) from Paddington to Euston (I should have used the provided bikes, but time was really tight, and I would have spent more time faffing with the bike booking app than just jogging, I assumed).

In that short time, breathing deeply as a somewhat fat man running does, the back of my throat started burning in a way I have never experienced in our local Cornish air.

Anecdotal, I know, but real. There's something in your London air that burns the throat. (Note: I was fine before and after. Not a virus or whatnot. I do run and cycle in Cornwall, without the same burning sensation).

e: Yikes! This is not pleasant reading, either...

Last edited:
Neighbour of ours has got a new (old) Citroen boat-looking thing that sounds like the exhaust is broken. Does a very poor man’s impression of a Harley (or maybe a razzed up Saxo from the 90s) when he fires it up, something is clearly wrong with it. Problem being, he works shifts and seemingly so does his other half - so he’s in and out picking her up and going to/from work at very unsociable times like 6am or midnight and it’s waking half the street up without fail.

My girlfriend googled his reg and unbelievably it’s ULEZ compliant :confused:

So GD, what should we do? Write a polite note telling him his car is borked and he really should get it looked at because his neighbours don’t appreciate getting woken up with a start when he’s off to work? :confused:

Neighbour of ours has got a new (old) Citroen boat-looking thing that sounds like the exhaust is broken. Does a very poor man’s impression of a Harley (or maybe a razzed up Saxo from the 90s) when he fires it up, something is clearly wrong with it. Problem being, he works shifts and seemingly so does his other half - so he’s in and out picking her up and going to/from work at very unsociable times like 6am or midnight and it’s waking half the street up without fail.

My girlfriend googled his reg and unbelievably it’s ULEZ compliant :confused:

So GD, what should we do? Write a polite note telling him his car is borked and he really should get it looked at because his neighbours don’t appreciate getting woken up with a start when he’s off to work? :confused:
quiet word with him, not being a dick about it but just asking if he can get his car fixed as it is waking everyone up.
IF he is a dick about it then that is when you have a decision to make, but worrying about it now is putting the cart before the horse.

Ultimately there may not be much you can legally do. a guy i met up with for a beer a few times back on an old car forum had a cerbera..... the 4.5l (loudest) one. he could make car alarms go off if he wanted to sometimes.

i followed him once in my 350z which wasnt a "quiet" car, but even with my windows up i was struggling to drive properly because i could not hear my engine so got my gear changes all wrong. i suspect that was louder than your neighbours car and yet his car was well maintained.

incidently.... my 350z - it was a 2005 model but it came out in 2003 - is/was ulez compliant, this car is now 20 years old (which blows my mind and makes me feel old but that is by the by)... but this notion that everyone needs to scrap their cars and buy brand new because of ULEZ is just nonsense.

Last edited:
probably as useful to ring/send video, to the council - they are the folks who say you cant use an electric drill / lawnmower before Xam;
were the supercar noises the london boroughs stamped down on a general noise nuisance crime

More from Keir - bear of very little brain :
there are other alternatives (to ulez expansion&charging) - I'm not going to give you an example though

can't we get someone decent in, like Burnham
"Would the electorate please tell me what's a popular idea right now, so I can pretend to be in favour of that long enough to get elected. Thanks."

This is Keir in a nutshell.

Tories are just letting Keir dig his own grave - they are going to have endless ammunition when it comes to ridiculing him in election campaign,
K's whinging about the immingrants housing too, with no alternative proposals, a barge on the Thames does sound appropriate though.

Tories are just letting Keir dig his own grave - they are going to have endless ammunition when it comes to ridiculing him in election campaign,
K's whinging about the immingrants housing too, with no alternative proposals, a barge on the Thames does sound appropriate though.

When I was on the Limehouse link tunnel contract I lived on a converted dutch barge on Heron Quays, very salubrious with a wine bar virtually next door. The wine bar was filled by city trader types at the time, early 90's

what grinds my gears (they deflated my mates car tyres and left a note in his windscreen so I know they operate in some areas i frequent) the police are not interested.
give one of them a thick ear whilst doing a citizen's arrest however and they will be on the car owner like a Rash.
when the police are so disinterested it's no wonder people feel tempted to take the law into their own hands.
I know who vandalised my old car and even had fingerprints. the police off the record admitted they knew who it would be too but they were 17 and it was not worth the manpower.
they were not impressed when I suggested they may get a bat to the kneecaps if they tried it again instead of my calling the police (I was just venting I wouldn't really... unless they started 1st)

What do you expect from police? The police need proof to make an arrest. Fingerprints aren’t proof, they could easily say they touched your car but didn’t vandalise it.

And if you want to attack someone using reasonable force to protect your property, and then detain the person whilst you call the police, you are allowed to do so. Key point being reasonable.

What do you expect from police? The police need proof to make an arrest. Fingerprints aren’t proof, they could easily say they touched your car but didn’t vandalise it.

And if you want to attack someone using reasonable force to protect your property, and then detain the person whilst you call the police, you are allowed to do so. Key point being reasonable.
that is a circular argument. if you never investigate and take things like prints (more than finger they were almost handprints where a lot of force had been used to grab my rear spoiler with both hands and push down to snap it off... it wasn't a random print) then you never get any proof. maybe my car alone would not have been enough ....... but these people were known by the locals and police, it was not the 1st time they had been up to no good and it wouldn't have been the last..... if their prints kept turning up hopefully that would persuade even the likes of you that they were guilty

Back
Top Bottom