Londoners in 'ere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime

No drinking allowed in Whitechapel either, it's a Muslim area :)

only thing they're really doing is alienating their own community - I mean enough people in the UK are already wary about Islam - these guys are just going to fuel that and cause the negative/intolerant side of Islam to be highlighted further

Permabanned
op asked a simple question about a location and it looks like this thread is going towards religion
If an area is 40% Muslim then some people would regard that as relevant.

Some people would also like to know if Whitechapel is largely homophobic as well

whitechapelgayfreezone_zpsc530335d.jpg

(poster on Whitechapel high street)

If you are looking for an 'up and coming area' or a part of London's Cockney history, then all that is dead and buried now. It's just another smelly multicultural dump.

Last edited:
Associate
You have some very good restaurants within a couple of minutes walk (Tayyabs, Hawksmoor, Damascu Bite, etc.). You have some very decent pubs around too (the 700 year old George Tavern, The Oliver Conquest, Indo, etc.). The Whitechapel Gallery, Borough is a 10 minute walk away, as is the City, Old Street and plenty of the parks.

Having lived all over London, I'd say this is by far my favourite place to live.

Also, I'd say it is up and coming. The value of our place has gone through the roof since we bought it a few years back, and the people that live in our neighbouring flats are all lawyers, doctors, marketing directors, accountants and media types.

Only bit of sense in this thread!!

I only visit for a curry but have never felt threatened in Whitechapel. But just remember that all Muslims want to kill you ok?

P.s. The Needoo Grill is a very tasty restaurant and BYO also :)

Soldato
No drinking allowed in Whitechapel either, it's a Muslim area :)

What utter nonsense! :rolleyes: My favourite Indian restaurant in London is near Whitechapel. It's run by Muslims and opposite a large mosque. They won't serve you alcohol but even there they're happy for you to bring your own.

Whitechapel isn't the most scenic of places in London but it's lively. Plenty of great bars, restaurants and clubs. There's also the Whitechapel Gallery if you're looking for a bit of culture. It's fairly cheap considering you can walk to the city too.

Soldato
OP
Was in white chapel / algate east all week. Its convenient but certainly not a nice area. The side roads are surprisingly more shady than you would think, so exercise due caution at night.

The thought of you in the Nags Head amuses me.

10 minutes to the office! 10 minutes :D

There are worse parts of London. But Tower Hamlets is one of the poorest boroughs of London.

http://www.londonspovertyprofile.org.uk/about/an-overview-of-londons-borough/

Yeah, I'd already done a rough search on Tower Hamlets, but stats can only tell you so much about a place. Stuff like toshj has said is actually more useful in some ways.

Lol @ all the negative responses about the area :D I don't think KD will be moving to Aldgate East/Whitechapel anymore :p

Kind of expected the responses I got to be honest :p It is GD :p

I should probably clarify as well, most people are focussing more on the 'whitechapel' part of this. My understanding is the flat in question is right by Queen Mary, and quite university populated.

kd

Caporegime
Spend quite a big of time there, a little rough but never felt unsafe personally. A great bring-your-own-booze curry/kebab restaurant nearby.

Soldato
Spend quite a big of time there, a little rough but never felt unsafe personally. A great bring-your-own-booze curry/kebab restaurant nearby.

This really, I wouldn't live there but I've spent numerous hours there and never felt unsafe. Hospital is always busy although the first time I went was after the terrorist attack so police presence was 3x TSG Vans and a DPG X5 so I felt incredibly safe. DPG guys are nice though, really friendly :3

Man of Honour
I think that's what makes it ominous in places. Many roads with nothing on them. Around liverpool street is quite fun though... not that I really know much about London.

Soldato
If an area is 40% Muslim then some people would regard that as relevant.

Some people would also like to know if Whitechapel is largely homophobic as well

whitechapelgayfreezone_zpsc530335d.jpg

(poster on Whitechapel high street)

If you are looking for an 'up and coming area' or a part of London's Cockney history, then all that is dead and buried now. It's just another smelly multicultural dump.

Lived here for three years and never seen anything like that posted anywhere. The Muslim community round here are friendly and tolerant, one of the best bars around here is directly opposite the East London Mosque.

I felt infinitely more threatened by chavs when I lived in leafy Hampton. I've had an eight year old on a bike call me a **** once walking down from Bethnal Green, and that's the most trouble I've seen round here. My flatmate and girlfriend feel completely safe round here, and the area will only continue to improve with continued regeneration of residential and commercial property (and the hospital) as well as Cross Rail running through the station. The place is attracting a great deal of the professional spill from the City, and in turn that's attracting restaurants and bars - even Ramsey has opened up a place 10 minutes walk from mine.

Soldato
I hear it has improved hugely :)

regen_phase1_5_zpsf0cefa09.jpg

regen_phase1_1_zps051f095b.jpg

3018250_5118e03d_zps3cb1d5c0.jpg

waist2_zpsb58d10a1.jpg

4566141692aa749a500ao_zpsa18aff71.jpg

Somewhat ironically, a number of the buildings in the photos you've just posted have gone under extensive face lifts, particularly around the market place and station.

This thread was always going to be people who have either never been to Whitechapel or visited the place a few times decrying it as a hell hole, whilst the people who live(d) hear say it's a decent place.

Permabanned
Somewhat ironically, a number of the buildings in the photos you've just posted have gone under extensive face lifts, particularly around the market place and station.
Not really, I know where I got the pictures from (hence the smiley), but tarting up derelict buildings to preserve what remains of the local English history is largely pointless when the majority of the local population don't understand or care about it. If the council had bothered to ask them then I'm sure they would have preferred another mosque (given that they have to pray on the streets at the moment)

Londoners have a distorted view of their world, one look at the crime rate tells me that I don't want to live there any more, it's twenty times the rate of where I live

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

This thread was always going to be people who have either never been to Whitechapel or visited the place a few times decrying it as a hell hole, whilst the people who live(d) hear say it's a decent place.

To be fair, I did just streetview the flat in question. (I found more accurate info)

If you walk one end out of the street, it is a bit shoddy, but most of the street itself is quite nice, and most of the cars around are pretty decent cars. Not to mention as you say quite a bit seems renovated at the moment.

Not really worried anywhere near as much as people are making out now :p

kd

Soldato

That's treads about London in general. I've lived in London on and off all my life, love it and keep coming back. I guess some people just live in a cave, plastering their walls with Daily Mail articles about dem darkies :mad:

BTW I live in Highgate now so all this is literally beneath me, but have lived in Holloway and Hackney (don't have a H thing though) :)

Soldato
Drove through once and took a wrong turn. Pretty scary 30 minutes, had to check after nobody had removed bits of m car while I was on the move.

Some bits are ok but most of what I saw wasn't great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom