LOST..... How do you think it will end

This did make me laugh, people you became attached to, the KOREAN couple you didn't know the names of, hell of an attachment there :p

didn't know the names of them? chinese is what they were called early on and have since stuck as that for me. i always call hurley hugo, even though many others didn't, for ages i called ben henry gale as that's what i became to know him as :)

with purgatory, i beleive that it started when it started for us, so the place was created and began on the plane, so they weren't wondering around for decades. you made a good point about the way they made it so no one knew each other, and for what purpose? it was obviously so that it would work for the viewers not knowing what the flashsideways was really about, but as you said it makes no sense and had no explanation.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know I'm a little behind the times, but I've finally been able to see the final 6 hours courtesy of a day at my parents' with their Sky Plus box (have seen all the other episodes as well, not speaking as a total ignoramus :))

The immediate thought that came to mind on the ending was that neither the island nor the flashes sideways were "real" (perhaps a better word would be "living"). The island was a testing ground - somewhere for the losties to find themselves and, metaphorically, heal themselves before they could move on. Meanwhile the flashes sideways were a form of purgatory, somewhere where their selves could "live" until allowed to move on by the island.

This explains a few things - the supernatural phenomena on the island are explicable, which they are not if the island exists in the real, living world. It also, perhaps, explains why the writers showed the submerged island in what I will call purgatory, the flashes sideways - it is to imply the link between the island and purgatory. It explains why babies could not be born on the island. Aaron was an exception due to Clare's heavy pregnancy - technically he was killed in the crash. It explains why Christian was present on the island, and why Hurley, who in life had never done anything too special, could suddenly talk to the dead.

The losties "left" the island in their different ways at the right time. Michael and Walt left when they realised how much they needed each other - they were not at the church as they were not that close to the other losties, but I'd expect that they would have left some other, similar purgatory at the time they left the island. Charlie "died" and left the island when he did something truly heroic and good for the first time in his life. He left to purgatory, where he could "wait" (as much as possible somewhere without time) for the remaining losties to join him and his eyeliner. The cabin crew "died" as soon as they got to the island. Their affairs were in order when the plane hit the ground, and they would have gone straight through purgatory.

Anyway, these are my thoughts. It's subjective, I know, but I feel that this explanation catches more (and, for me, is more satisfying) than the one which says that the losties were alive on the island throughout the show's timeline.

Associate
I know the networks like to get value for money, but selling off the props ......

Whats the harm, they won't be used again. May as well get rid of unused props taking up needed storage space, and its a bit of memorabilia to the fans. It's not exactly a new thing they're doing.

Star Trek did it a few years ago, some of the models of the ships went for an insane amount of money.
http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/40_Years_of_Star_Trek:_The_Collection

and a company has been auctioning off Stargate Atlantis/SG1 props over the past few months as well.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/09/sci-fi-museum-hosts-stargate-props-auction/

Man of Honour
Worth watching or not?
120 episodes is a lot of frustration.
I only got to the series where they meet the others, before giving up on it. Now have access to all of it. And not much else on my to watch list anymore.

I'm sure I asked this before, but can't remember the out come and don't want to go digging due to spoilers.

Last edited:
Associate
Agree...... I'd like to hear an opinion of someone who watched it all through for the first time in one go and didn't get caught up with the hype at the time.

Personally I thought it was an amazing series.... slightly odd end... but an amazing series - good TV!

Soldato
It's worth a watch definitely.

But with hindsight it's hard to recommend it as strongly as I would have done at the time.

The early series are some of the best TV around, but the later series live on the back of the early promise and only just do enough to keep you watching (imo). So many times towards the end did I think "this is going nowhere", only to have the odd episode crop up where it got back to the level of the early series and make me think "maybe we're back on track".

In hindsight, you could watch Lost S1/S2 and the end of S6 and you'd not miss out on as much as you should, for a series that started so well.

IMO, there is a LOT of filler to get to the ending they finally produced and the plot towards the end gets very, very weak.

Loved watching it at the time, but wouldn't (and haven't) gone back to anything past S3.

Soldato
Worth watching or not?
120 episodes is a lot of frustration.
I only got to the series where they meet the others, before giving up on it. Now have access to all of it. And not much else on my to watch list anymore.

I'm sure I asked this before, but can't remember the out come and don't want to go digging due to spoilers.

Personally I would say no, but if you have the patience and tolerance of a saint you may well get through it before being disapointed at the final hurdle.

Back
Top Bottom