• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

<<<=====LOWEST PRICE IN THE UK - MSI ATI HD 5850 Twin FrozR Graphics Card ONLY £124.99 Delivered!!==

Soldato
There is a post in another forum from a person who has only ever made one post, where apparently the MSI's card was tested (10 of them were), and they took 1.250v without issue running furmark. There is nothing to back that up however.

Does sound like there is a problem with getting over 1.139v and it stopping entirely at anything over 1.149v (1.150v is refered to). Looks like MSI are claiming it's a bad batch, which doesn't exactly sit well for a card marketted for overclocking.

p.s. Soz Gibbo, only put the info here as it's only fair people see before purchase. I only came across this info by accident from a link above. It's still a damn good deal regardless (AND IT CAN BE OVERCLOCKED!)

Associate
Me ordered a few too. Can't really make sense of what's being said here. So in the review above, the card works fine at stock settings, and you can overclock no problems. But when you take the voltage above a certain level the card can't take it, even though it should be able to?

This was ages ago though. Can't seem to find much more information about this problem, or any bios updates etc.

Soldato
i read that too before seeing the link here and it put me off. I'll see if i made a boo boo once you all get your cards and they take 1.6v at 20c :)

I flippin' well hope so :D I'd still order one regardless as after I started putting quiet fans in my system I realised how much I'd like a quiet PC and they still overclock anyway, which is why I'm still after one. Would be great if Gibbo could verify they can go past 1.15v in afterburner without blacking out, but I think that's asking a little much to open a card.

Hey Scougar - let us know what you find out. I've ordered on of these as well, and don't want to be stuck with another turkey after xmas!!!

Not trying to scaremonger bud, I'm trying to stop myself buying one myself, and whilst this put me off for the time I was looking, I'd still buy one anyway, as it's a steal at the price. I can only post what I find on the net.. and it seems MSI acknowledged an issue and were sorting a fix, but it doesn't look like anything happened. That's why i'd like that gent from MSI (is it "MSI-guy" ?) to comment.

Me ordered a few too. Can't really make sense of what's being said here. So in the review above, the card works fine at stock settings, and you can overclock no problems. But when you take the voltage above a certain level the card can't take it, even though it should be able to?

This was ages ago though. Can't seem to find much more information about this problem, or any bios updates etc.

Yes basically. The card's are PERFECTLY FINE at stock and will take increased volts and OVERCLOCK FINE. But, there seem to be a fair few reports of these models having problems at exactly the same voltage level. 1.139v and runs for a bit then crashes, and 1.150v and above it blacks out instantly, when they advertise easily upto 1.35v I'm lead to believe. Whether this is just a few rogue cards I'm not sure, as I mentioned someone came with a single post saying they tested ten brand new one's and they all took at least 1.25v fine without issue running furmark. Just look in the link from a few posts up and it all becomes clear, and look in google at xtremesystems links :)

So what to believe? Who know's.. bad things get more press. Wasn't meant to turn the thread crap, I can only apologise for that, but it's definately something to consider. As said I would still buy one, as max overclock isn't that important anyway... and it's still got a good warranty and a cracking price.

Last edited:
Soldato
well that review was posted back in april and i've found a more positive comments on new***.

There was also a link to this

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=3539443#post3539443

i think the original guy was just using an old version of afterburner, but if the above link is correct - or things haven't changed in the newer versions of afterburner it may be more complex getting higher voltages than just moving a slider...

Soldato
well that review was posted back in april and i've found a more positive comments on new***.

There was also a link to this

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=3539443#post3539443

i think the original guy was just using an old version of afterburner, but if the above link is correct - or things haven't changed in the newer versions of afterburner it may be more complex getting higher voltages than just moving a slider...

That is talking about the capture voltage control and the new voltage regulator chip being supported for the MSI card's. It does not fix the problem as far as I'm aware reading from other forums. (Happy to be corrected though :) )

For example, the guy in this thread is stating he was running 1.6. Some other stuff where MSI apparently admit they got a bad bunch of chips... but is that true? Could it be a bios issue? http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=253240

And check the MSI forum: http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=137246.0

I honestly hope that it's all just bad luck for some people... and this batch is fine. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
scougar - i just skim read the posts - thank god someone is reading them fully - one thing i noticed though - if it was just a bad patch why has the thread on msi been read 3173 times...i dunno how many are in a batch??

Soldato
Quieter than a reference (sapphire HD5850) apparently.

I had a link but accidentally lost it. EDIT: http://www.overclock.net/ati/702833-msi-hd5850-twin-frozr-review-comparision.html

Maybe I got something different to everyone else out of this, but from what i read it seems this card performs on par with a reference Sapphire card but runs hotter. With the fancy cooler I'd have at least expected it to run cooler.
But if it runs hotter, performs the same and has overclocking (well overvolting) issues then I guess we can see why OcUK managed to get all the remaining worldwide stock :)

Still a good price for the card though.

Associate
Maybe I got something different to everyone else out of this, but from what i read it seems this card performs on par with a reference Sapphire card but runs hotter. With the fancy cooler I'd have at least expected it to run cooler.
But if it runs hotter, performs the same and has overclocking (well overvolting) issues then I guess we can see why OcUK managed to get all the remaining worldwide stock :)

Still a good price for the card though.

Are we looking at something like a modest 10% overclock then rather than the 25% some people were hoping for?

J.D

J.D

Soldato
It would be like around 5770-5830 speed.

If you do find out , JD, any chance you could tell me how much the E2180 OC would bottleneck the HD5850? I have an E2160 myself. But my PSU is a cheapo one atm, my Corsair HX620 broke :(

Thank you Marine. This will only be for a couple weeks until I get the i5 quad so it's something to look forward to (the release of power from the 5850).

I wonder when the cards will be sent out if coming into stock on the 24th. I just ordered mine today with a set of DDR3.

As suggested above ben, Marine thinks it will be about 5770 / 5830 speeds but that obviously is game and resolution dependant. I'm at 1600x1200 myself so that will lessen the load (slightly) on my CPU but by how much, that's yet to be seen.

Sorry to hear about your Corsair :(. Have they not got a five year guarantee?.

Permabanned
Read the past few pages of this saw that other review
about the voltages aswell, heres my 5850 twin frozr...

434910507_o.jpg

Furmark is in a 1024x768 window with xtreme burn and post fx on. Its only after a few minutes but had it running like that for 30ish without any more difference in temp really!

Bought mine from here OCUK about 6 weeks ago and theres no problem with voltages. It goes upto 1.3, although when typed in and applied it applies 1.299.

Like said I can have the above overclock running in Furmark for 30minutes but not stable in all the games I have. Also I dont like the idea of 1.3volts for too long so I have it running at 900core and 1250 memory @1.2volts.
Max stable at 930 core with alittle extra volts but not really any difference in games so I settled with the 900. Can also run 1300memory stable, although its a little slower than 1250.

So basically no voltage problems with the one I got from here 6 weeks ago!

Associate
Nice! Hopefully it was just a bad early batch and an early version of Afterburner that contributed to the overvolting issues.

By now and Afterburner v2 I would have thought they would have fixed any teething problems.

Back
Top Bottom