• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

<<<=====LOWEST PRICE IN THE UK - MSI ATI HD 5850 Twin FrozR Graphics Card ONLY £124.99 Delivered!!==

Associate
Damn this is such a good price for the performance on offer. If I wasn't on watercooling I'd have snapped two of these up and xfired them. However the cost of two plus two waterblocks puts the price well above a single 570

Associate
Well, seeing as my GTX460 is stuck at DPD's warehouse, I would have been better off pre-ordering one of these :(

Curse you Old Man Winter, CURSE YOU!!!!!!

Soldato
Damn this is such a good price for the performance on offer. If I wasn't on watercooling I'd have snapped two of these up and xfired them. However the cost of two plus two waterblocks puts the price well above a single 570

That's an interesting point. Are these boards reference? Would it be possible to put a standard 5850 water-block on them?
I was thinking I might switch out my water-cooled 4870x2 for one of these if I could water cool it. Would it be too much of a downgrade going from a 4870x2 to one of these?

Associate
I only have a 430W PSU

If its a good brand should should be fine.

A bit angry, I have a severe case of upgratititis and already have a 5850 with a vf3000 and a thermalright vrmsink on it. No room for another and no need!

If I had my old geforce 9800 it would be crossfire in a heartbeat.

J.D

J.D

Soldato
Put two orders in 1 for bits and an other for the GFX cards. You qualify for free postage as a forum member.

Aye true and due to money problems (my friend owes me £300 and let me down till just after Christmas) I can only order the 5850 and 4gb of DDR3. Oh well, I can get the i5 760 and motherboard after the year and still enjoy the 5850 in my CPU bound system (sig below) :D.

3.2Ghz E2180 will probably hold back the 5850. By how much roughly?.

Thanks for the advice ;).

Associate
That's an interesting point. Are these boards reference? Would it be possible to put a standard 5850 water-block on them?
I was thinking I might switch out my water-cooled 4870x2 for one of these if I could water cool it. Would it be too much of a downgrade going from a 4870x2 to one of these?

Hmm.. I forgot about the fact that it will be a non reference card so it probably wouldn't be possible to put a standard block on. Ek do a non reference block but it says it only fits asus v2 cards. It probably wouldn't be much of a downgrade, if any especially if you overclocked it. Also dx11 with the 5850.

Associate
If you do find out , JD, any chance you could tell me how much the E2180 OC would bottleneck the HD5850? I have an E2160 myself. But my PSU is a cheapo one atm, my Corsair HX620 broke :(

Soldato
If its a good brand should should be fine.

A bit angry, I have a severe case of upgratititis and already have a 5850 with a vf3000 and a thermalright vrmsink on it. No room for another and no need!

If I had my old geforce 9800 it would be crossfire in a heartbeat.

I'm not overly familiar with the thermalright vrm heatsink thing, but does it mean you couldn't buy one of these 5850s and put that in the primary PCI-e slot and put your current card in the 2nd slot?
I do feel sorry for you, I know the suffering of upgrad-itus itch only too well.

Hmm.. I forgot about the fact that it will be a non reference card so it probably wouldn't be possible to put a standard block on. Ek do a non reference block but it says it only fits asus v2 cards. It probably wouldn't be much of a downgrade, if any especially if you overclocked it. Also dx11 with the 5850.

I wasn't sure if it was non-reference or not.
My 4870x2 is slightly overclocked too (800/1000), not sure if that would offset the 5850 potential overclock much?
As for DX11, other than tessellation, which I believe the 5000 series doesn't do all that well, what else does DX11 bring over DX10?
Part of the reason I was thinking of going to a 5850 was too reduce the heat in my WC loop. I'm not that happy with the temps at the minute. Don't know if that's a good enough reason to spend potentially £200 (5850 + gpu block), if the PCB was reference. I guess I could get one of these and remove the gpu from the loop, but that seems like a backwards step.

Associate
Spending £200 and not getting any performance increase out of it is always a bad idea.

If what you have works, unless you think the water temp coming out of the rad before going into the pump is noticeably higher than 50c then why would you be worried about your loop temps? Cpus are good for 100c. Gpus higher. Vrms 125. You would have to be getting towards these temps for the water coming out of the rad to still be >55.

It only ever makes financial sense to watercool a mid range gpu if you are using a GPU block and making your own ram/vrm sinks. And even then it only makes financial sense if you already own the watercooling kit. Ie you might have decided watercooling cpus these days is a waste of time and decided to shift it over to the GPU.

Soldato
I've got an AMD X6 chip, so the max temp for that is 62C. That's the only real reason I'm worried is that the GPU raises the water temp too much.
Also if i could reduce the heat of the loop I was hoping I could use a fan controller to stop the rad fans running at 100% all the time.

Associate
Bit of an odd max temp.

You are better off removing the cpu from the loop and spending £50-60 on an air cooler. Or selling the X6 to replaced with a quad, if the machine is only used for gaming...

Soldato
I've got an AMD X6 chip, so the max temp for that is 62C. That's the only real reason I'm worried is that the GPU raises the water temp too much.
Also if i could reduce the heat of the loop I was hoping I could use a fan controller to stop the rad fans running at 100% all the time.

Isn't the temp you got when stress testing only like 52C or something though? That's when everything is maxed, so I can't really see why you would be worried personally. Stop being paranoid :p

Quieter than a reference (sapphire HD5850) apparently.

I had a link but accidentally lost it. EDIT: http://www.overclock.net/ati/702833-msi-hd5850-twin-frozr-review-comparision.html

Not an optimistic link about overclocking and temps but certainly quiet! There may be an issue with voltage on these cards. Might be the BIOS might be a bad batch of chips... I'm trying to find if MSI have released a fixed BIOS (if that is indeed the issue).

NOTE: Would be nice if that MSI guy on here could comment :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Isn't the temp you got when stress testing only like 52C or something though? That's when everything is maxed, so I can't really see why you would be worried personally. Stop being paranoid :p

Aren't you supposed to be working? ;)
Yes, my CPU temp didn't seem too bad when running Prime95, but the 4870x2 wasn't kicking out much heat then. Also, I'd like to get a fan controller so I could turn the fans down (it's quite noisy with 4 rad fans + 4 case fans running at 100%) without it getting too hot.

Back
Top Bottom