• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

<<<=====LOWEST PRICE IN THE UK - MSI ATI HD 5850 Twin FrozR Graphics Card ONLY £124.99 Delivered!!==

Soldato
Will this be much of an upgrade from Nvidia 280gtx??
The 5850 should be roughly be 12-15% faster than the GTX280 at stock speed. If you overclock the 5850, it would pull ahead even further.

But if your GTX280 handle your game fine anyway, then don't think you should bother...unless you want a cooler running and lower power consumption card besides the small upgrade.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 5850 should be roughly be 12-15% faster than the GTX280 at stock speed. If you overclock the 5850, it would pull ahead even further.

But if your GTX280 handle your game fine anyway, then don't think you should bother...unless you want a cooler running and lower power consumption card besides the small upgrade.

Even better, the GTX280 is an equivalent to the GTX275 and that is about 25% difference between them and HD5850 already. 30-40% overclock on the 5850 should increase this gap to 60% or so. Don't know how well the GTX280 overclocks though.

I haven't made up these figures, mind you :D

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/164?vs=169

With the latest drivers both HD5850 and HD5870 gained some 10% improvement in some titles as well, you obviously get Dx11 support as well as lower power consumption and cooler capable enough of high overclocks.

Both the drivers improvement and overclocking gains have been measured by me empirically ;)

Last edited:
Associate
So this is 1 x HDMI 1 x VGA and 1 x DVI?

If so that dvi port doesnt look like one really??

r5850twinfrozrii.jpg

Looks like one to me :)

Soldato
We should make a "Official MSI 5850 Twin FrozoR overclocking thread" after everyone got the card :p So we can work together and exchanging info on settings on overclocking :D

I'm aiming for 980MHz on core and 1250MHz on memory :D

That's 35% and 25% overclock respectively, should easily get around 25-30% gains in games.

J.D

J.D

Soldato
I'm aiming for 980MHz on core and 1250MHz on memory :D

That's 35% and 25% overclock respectively, should easily get around 25-30% gains in games.

Sounds good. I think this will be my first MSI card so I'm hoping for a good first impression. I'm impressed with the price though :D.

It will be a decent upgrade from my 4870 and rig in sig. I'll be ordering an i5 quad, mobo and RAM also which (hopefully @ weather) will come before the 5850.

SBD

SBD

Associate
I am just about to buy one but I was wondering if there are many reviews out there. Had a quick google and the nearest I could find was a MSI 5830 on Guru 3D.

Performance looks great but I am wondering about what the temps are like and how loud it is. Is this cooler much better than the reference model? Is it much cooler than say a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 OC 1024MB?

Cheers, and I think an official owners thread would be a great idea since I bet at least 100 or so will be sold to forum members :D

Associate
Even better, the GTX280 is an equivalent to the GTX275 and that is about 25% difference between them and HD5850 already. 30-40% overclock on the 5850 should increase this gap to 60% or so. Don't know how well the GTX280 overclocks though.

I haven't made up these figures, mind you :D

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/164?vs=169

With the latest drivers both HD5850 and HD5870 gained some 10% improvement in some titles as well, you obviously get Dx11 support as well as lower power consumption and cooler capable enough of high overclocks.

Both the drivers improvement and overclocking gains have been measured by me empirically ;)

Thanks for the reply, i think at this price compared to the price i can sell my gtx280 for, this will be a nice cheap upgrade, to newer tech than i had, my gtx280 is 2 years old now, and fancy a change .,(like u do )
thanks again, order placed

Soldato
Wondering if this would be a good buy now to hang on for a build in April? A gamble I guess as there mat be better available then. Have SWTOR in mind, originally planned a £180budget x 2. Building two new rigs. Would it be daft to buy so far in advance?

Back
Top Bottom