• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

<<<=====LOWEST PRICE IN THE UK - MSI ATI HD 5850 Twin FrozR Graphics Card ONLY £124.99 Delivered!!==

Soldato
If Gibbos bought the 'Worldwide Stock' from MSi, then considering it's only a week or so away from Christmas, he'd be doing extremely well to get them here before then :o

Almost impossible I'd have thought, Cracking price though.

Soldato
Hmmmmm.

I have a 4870 and could be tempted by this.

Is it worth going up to a 5850 for £125, or Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 OC 768MB for £120?

If there isn't much of a difference I won't bother.

That's with Cat 10.7 and Nvidia 258.80, old drivers then.

13660364.png

Associate
whats the power draw on these cards like? any idea if an ocz StealthXStream 600W be able to crossfire a pair of these cards? (q9650 + 2hdd and 1x optical drive = rest of system)

Soldato
Good actual grief! Nice price.

I've been in an alternative ATI / NVIDIA cycle for my last few cards and was waiting for GTX 470 or GTX 460 1GB to come down to replace my HD4850 but my that's tempting!

Soldato
It's annoying, it's such a good deal that I'm annoyed that it's no good to me. Looking for something with a little more POWER though :D

Also, and this might be controversial, I think it's a bit of a fugly card. Would let that stop me buying one though (it's the lack of power doing that).

Associate
Would this work ok with my sapphire 5850 card ? my motherboard is a gigabyte crossfire board with a I7 860 cpu and (1156) i think the cards would run at x16 & x8 !! will this be a problem ?

Soldato
Would this work ok with my sapphire 5850 card ? my motherboard is a gigabyte crossfire board with a I7 860 cpu and (1156) i think the cards would run at x16 & x8 !! will this be a problem ?
Crossfire at x8/x8 you would only lose around none to 2% speed on each card, so it's barely noticable. And yes you can crossfire different brand same model card. However do bare in mind that the clock speeds would only follow the slower card.

But you really should double-check your board that it really does crossfire at x8/x8, but not x4/x4. If you are uncertain, let us know which board it is we can check for you.

Last edited:
Associate
Crossfire at x8/x8 you would only lose around none to 2% speed on each card, so it's barely noticable. And yes you can crossfire different brand same model card. However do bare in mind that the clock speeds would only follow the slower card.

But you really should double-check your board that it really does crossfire at x8/x8, but not x4/x4.

Do you think it would be worth it though ?

Soldato

Clock speeds are independent in CF mode.

I can run all 4 of my GPUs on my 2x 5970s at different clocks.

Soldato
without scrolling thru pages and pages of benchmarks results, anybody give me a rough idea of how much an improvment over my 5770 this would be. just curious ATM, most likely throw a few more notes together and maybe look at the 6950......

but that is a lurvely price for the 5850

Back
Top Bottom