Luxury car for £6000...

Soldato
PalpatineDoIt.jpg

If it makes you happy, do it. Post how it goes both good and bad. If you have issues, well, you should be prepared for them, and learn and enjoy the experiences. I'm interested to see how it goes, genuinely and not taking the ****.

If it were me though, I'd be looking at Merc E or S classes and not a 4x4 at that price point, the money goes so much further.

Associate
A full size Range Rover often makes a lot of sense over an S class or 7 series type vehicle of the older vintage due to practicality/visibility and imperious driving position... I ditched a W220 S500 for one years ago. L322 was great in its day, I now drive an L405 SDV8 but in some ways it’s inferior to my old L322 V8 which I still miss. L405s ride is more brittle, steering isn’t as fluid and it’s actually too big for a lot of UK roads. L322s are old cars now and I echo other posters, get a petrol. Avoid anything that has seen LPG and be prepared to spend time tinkering on weekends, owning an old Range Rover is like owning an old boat - you will need to treat it as a bit of a rolling project or know a very friendly mechanic. Water ingress into the boot, air suspension issues and oil and diff leaks happen. I would get an LR specific handheld code reader. I think in 6 years of owning my L322 I had most of it in pieces at one time or another fixing ‘quirks’.

Soldato
Good to see you took the advice of some of the more well-informed members and landed on a 140k (of what is presumably short journeys judging by the location) mile diesel, with above average number of owners :D:p

Man of Honour
I always use a tatty old Range Rover as an example of what is a potentially ruinous old car to run...

Not a good idea. Not going to be impressing anyone either (if that's your thing).

Soldato
The TDV8 has good reports on the fullfatRR forums. I was keen on a 2006 SC V8 2 mins from me... It sold for £5250. It was immaculate... I sat on it too long.

There's exceptions to every rule, but overall the TDV8 is highly unlikely to be as reliable as the 4.2 SC, particularly if it's done a lot of short journeys. I'd understand if you were comparing the TDV8 and the 5.0 SC as they have their fair share of issues too, but if you've got a relatively low budget and you're looking at an older vehicle, the 4.2 is the way to go.

Associate
OP
There's exceptions to every rule, but overall the TDV8 is highly unlikely to be as reliable as the 4.2 SC, particularly if it's done a lot of short journeys. I'd understand if you were comparing the TDV8 and the 5.0 SC as they have their fair share of issues too, but if you've got a relatively low budget and you're looking at an older vehicle, the 4.2 is the way to go.
Struggling to find any for sale. The ones I've seen have been overpriced at £8000.

Soldato
Well, if it's attention you want I present to you the stablemate from the R-R side - a white whale ;)

Ludicrously cheap for something that essentially has around £2k of brightwork on the front of it - it's certainly never going to be worth less than the asking price unless you burn it to the ground and forget to insure it.

So you'll either look like a pimp, or just got married.

Anyway if you really want a cheap RR, make sure you have at least a few £1000 saved for repairs because the bills can ramp up fast. It's "only" 6.5k but you can easily blow that again on parts.

Last edited:
Soldato
Struggling to find any for sale. The ones I've seen have been overpriced at £8000.
It’s your money, but personally I’d wait and see if a cheaper SC one comes up, or pay the extra. As you can see from the comments on this thread, I’m more open to running cars like this than most people, but even I would think twice about buying a diesel model.

Back
Top Bottom