M4 SSD 5200 hour timebomb

Well i used my PC for about 6-8hr per day so i've got a couple of years at least, which i probably replace it by then anyway, i think for the avarage user it a non-issue. But for power users that have there PC's on 24/7 it could be a different story

Ouch thats got to hurt, no doubt some of yous have read my thread > OCZ Agility has failed again. I wonder if Crucail knew about the failure at 5200hrs and just kept quiet like OCZ bsod, etc?

What's the best way to check the usage on these drives? I have one in my desktop which I bought on launch and another in my laptop that I bought in September :(

I hope there is a firmware update that can fix this issue

I actually laugh at this whole thing. Remember when SSDs first came out and we were told they were quieter, used less power and were more reliable than convential HDDs?

Now it seems like every week there's a new issue with a different SSD. I'm hoping my M4 doesn't go down the toilet - the only reason I got it over anything else was perceived reliability.

I actually laugh at this whole thing. Remember when SSDs first came out and we were told they were quieter, used less power and were more reliable than convential HDDs?

Now it seems like every week there's a new issue with a different SSD. I'm hoping my M4 doesn't go down the toilet - the only reason I got it over anything else was perceived reliability.

The actual storage medium (I.e. the flash chips themselves) I think are far far far more reliable.

The problem is shoddy design and testing of the controllers. Sandforce aims to get the best IOPS and not the best reliability.

For that reason my next SSD purchase will be a Intel drive, as they are hardly pushing the IOPS/transfer rate boundaries.

The actual storage medium (I.e. the flash chips themselves) I think are far far far more reliable.

The problem is shoddy design and testing of the controllers. Sandforce aims to get the best IOPS and not the best reliability.

For that reason my next SSD purchase will be a Intel drive, as they are hardly pushing the IOPS/transfer rate boundaries.

but intels are usually have a worse gig/£ ratio, which is putting me off

samsung ssd's are now seagates ssd's

I thought they only sold the hard drive part of the business to Seagate and kept the SSD's at Samsung, with all parts made in house. The reason I chose the Samsung over the M4 was the in house production giving better control and Samsungs track record with SSD’s. I may be tempting fate but the fact they have control over all production should lead to better reliability, or am I being a bit too optimistic. Good luck to all those who are having issues with the M4 I may see you in a few thousand hours.

If you've just got an M4 like I have or don't run 24/7 then I wouldn't worry about it, it'll be fixed before you get problems. Of course if you're close to 5200 hours you'll want to back-up but you should be doing that anyway!

Pretty sure the next Intel drives will be using Sandforce controllers, it will be interesting to see how they fair.

I'm not too worried about it. If your data is that important to you you should have it backed up already anyway. This will get fixed by a firmware update.

Back
Top Bottom