Mafia 2 demo!

Klo

Klo

Soldato
Why are people acting like complete douches?

Amazing gameplay? Tick
Great Soundtrack? Tick
Looks great? Tick
Runs well on a range of systems? Tick

Geez the amount of crap ports lately, with no demos or any way of telling if they are good or not without being naugty and downloading for free.. And people slating? wtf

Umm, thats all opinion.

I personally prefer GTA4, driving was better, more details in the world, atmosphere was better, graphics were better, can shoot from cars, better animation (look at what happens when you answer the telephone from the an angle, you float into place).

Mafia did the shooting better than GTA4, and possibly the cover system, but thats about it for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
This whole "not shooting from the cars" business. Is that really going to be how it is in the final game?

Mafia 1 had shooting from the cars, and IIRC it was completely awesome..

Caporegime
I miss the pick locking the cars and having to wait for the bar to fill before the car was unlocked, now it just feels like a GTA theft...

Well I just watched the preview vid on gametrailers and they had lockpicking in :confused: I'm starting to think the demo has lots of stuff missing because they also showed random conversations starting up when you walk up to strangers and that didn't happen in the demo :/

Maybe this is just a poor demo of what will hopefully be a great game.

Caporegime
To be fair, considering the full game will probably be 12GB+, to make a 1GB demo will require a lot of cutting down.

Imagine GTA IV with just the smaller 'north' island and squeezed into 1GB, it'd be empty :p

C64

C64

Soldato
doesn't matter if the gameplay is still going to be nothing more than go to A watch cut scene go to B do mission watch cutscene.
that's how I got bored of red dead so fast as beneath the novelty nothings moved on since gta3.

we need to move on from the basic sandbox formula of the original gta3 it's 2010 i want to be able to control how the plot pans out like in bioware games or dare i say it how about a heavy rain style mafia game.

At least lets try to move on from the gta style, mafia 2 looks playable yea but I just know that it will have the same effect as gta games on me ie bored fast.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been though the demo a few times now and quite enjoyed it, but not as much as I thought I would, a little underwhelmed maybe. But then again, it's just a taster.

Looking through this thread and seeing other peoples screenshots, they seem to look a little better than mine, but I've been through the options and I'm maxed out (apart from physx). Does this look a little on the pap side of things or is it just me? :confused: Lots of jaggys.

mafia2w.jpg

mafia21.jpg

Bah, imageshack fail on resizing

Man of Honour
I didn't like how the beat em up segments if you got into a street fight broke the fps controls (unless you have a mouse with a million buttons).

Associate
Umm, thats all opinion.

I personally prefer GTA4, driving was better, more details in the world, atmosphere was better, graphics were better, can shoot from cars, better animation (look at what happens when you answer the telephone from the an angle, you float into place).

Mafia did the shooting better than GTA4, and possibly the cover system, but thats about it for me.
I'd say the driving is better but that's about it. The graphics in Mafia II are a LOT better than GTA4 and it runs smooth as butter, unlike GTA4 even now (and I have a 5970). I also like the combat, though the controls are a bit weak and the driving is a bit flat - simulation mode improves things slightly, but not enough.

Caporegime
I'd say the driving is better but that's about it. The graphics in Mafia II are a LOT better than GTA4 and it runs smooth as butter, unlike GTA4 even now (and I have a 5970). I also like the combat, though the controls are a bit weak and the driving is a bit flat - simulation mode improves things slightly, but not enough.

I disagree. I've got all details on full on GTA 4, except viewing distance which is at about 45, and it looked vastly superior to the Mafia 2 demo, although it is just that, a demo, unfinished and unpolished so isn't a very good gauge. I think people are already saying OMG BETTER THAN GTA!!!11 when the reality is people have only been able to play half of a very generic mission and drive around a tiny area of the city with pretty much nothing at all to do. The AI is stupid, the cars handle like crap and it feels incredibly empty, those are my impressions going on the demo. If people could keep their comparisons between playing a 30 minute or so demo and a 25+ hours game then that would be great.

Reserve judgment until you've played the full game. GTA4 is a brilliant game in it's own right and it's been said on here before that if you took a similar machine hardware wise to a current gen console, so tri/quad core, decent graphics card then GTA4 easily, easily outperforms the console versions and I have to say the shadows in GTA4 on full are the best shadows I've seen in any game ever.

Soldato
Didnt it say that the events in the demo will not feature in the game at all?, tried both the pc version and ps3 version, pc looks far better, though i can see the 'mums' going up in an uproar with the skin mags, usual blow out of proportion, just wish the demo lasted longer 10 minutes for driving about aint that long.

Back
Top Bottom