Mafia 2 demo!

Well judging from the responses so far, this game will take a LONG time to beat my £5 purchase of GTA 4 at christmas lol.

GTA 4 is a very polished game and more people will probably see this if the full retail version of mafia 2 is anything like the demo.

I would juts like to LOL at the people expecting a full game on a demo, the key word here would be "demo" when you hit download on STEAM it didnt say "Download a bit of the full game" it said "Demo"

I'm a bit dissapointed with it in terms of how it runs, I have an old GPU mated to a new system because I am waiting for the next wave of ATI cards to be released. My system however runs Bad Company 2 maxed out with 4xAA in 1680x1050

In this game I have to turn everything to medium and most features off to get 30FPS, I have to run with AA off, medium shadows, no Physics and that other graphical feature switched off I forget what its called just to achieve a measly 30FPS

I'm running an 8800GTS 640 which I know is bottlenecking by 965 with 4GB RAM but stating the blantently obvious, I play BC2 it looks amazing, sounds amazing, theres bits of stuff flying about everywhere etc etc, I play Mafia 2 demo and the engine is dissapointing, it looks good dont get me wrong but the features have to be turned right down to get it to run and I dont understand why when its no where as impressive looking as some other games out there

Imo the slightly chunky, perhaps even cartoonish textured appearance of the game was implemented to brush over some Console shortfalls, and works very well as the game still manages to look impressive. However I feel the environment wont be as free roaming or immersive as the almost three year old GTAIV engine, when comparing this demo at least.

Last edited:
Didnt it say that the events in the demo will not feature in the game at all?, tried both the pc version and ps3 version, pc looks far better, though i can see the 'mums' going up in an uproar with the skin mags, usual blow out of proportion, just wish the demo lasted longer 10 minutes for driving about aint that long.

get the timer patch =)

My twopeneth on the game demo was that I liked it, and overall im hoping the full game will be even better. Im quite fortunate in the fact that I have a reasonably speced pc to play the demo with quite high graphics settings and I like the look of the game. I also have a 360 and have played the demo on that format too. The graphics suck on the 360 compared to the pc. Thats my opinion mind, im sure someone will tell me im a fool. Getting back to the point i was trying to make however, I think that for a very limited playable demo its good and im hoping that it has no where near scratched the surface of a game im hoping to be up there with some of the all time greats.

Didnt it say that the events in the demo will not feature in the game at all?, tried both the pc version and ps3 version, pc looks far better, though i can see the 'mums' going up in an uproar with the skin mags, usual blow out of proportion, just wish the demo lasted longer 10 minutes for driving about aint that long.

It said that the demo mission would not appear in the same format. I'd imagine that large parts of it will appear in the game, just in a different order or something.

really enjoyed the demo, few things bugged me. No traffic lights, can speed past the cops and they don't come after you and the cars do seem a bit too quick. I liked the really slow cars in the first game.

really enjoyed the demo, few things bugged me. No traffic lights, can speed past the cops and they don't come after you and the cars do seem a bit too quick. I liked the really slow cars in the first game.

You can tab 'speed control' on the cars, so have the option of moving at the same speed as everyone else as your top speed if you wish.

Although I'm no expert on the history of Traffic Lights, I'm guessing they were not in widespread use in 1945, at least not in the Suburb out of City type areas that the game demo is set in.

You can tab 'speed control' on the cars, so have the option of moving at the same speed as everyone else as your top speed if you wish.

Yep, but in mafia one if you sped you got a speeding ticket or you could run away from police. In this you can fly past them at great speed and nothing happens. Hope its in the full game.

Although I'm no expert on the history of Traffic Lights, I'm guessing they were not in widespread use in 1945, at least not in the Suburb out of City type areas that the game demo is set in.

I thought they were in mafia, could be my memory going :(

I've been chased for speeding in the demo quite a few times, maybe you are not going fast enough? I was even in a lorry and they started chasing me for speeding.

Has anyone tried to AA work around....
Disable it in game. Open up NV ctrl panel and change the Jericho settings to say 4xaa. Rename the Mafia2.exe to Jericho.exe ... voila....
????
Will try when i get home.

I've been chased for speeding in the demo quite a few times, maybe you are not going fast enough? I was even in a lorry and they started chasing me for speeding.

Yeah managed to get caught now going over the bridge t great speed. and there is even a traffic light at the end :p

It works i think tho performance goes down the tube to 13fps compared to 60fps i had also u need to start game with a shortcut cos steam wont launch the renamed exe. Guessing nvidia had a profile to get the performance the way it was so renaming had crippled it.

Heres with aa on 4 and supersampling i think its worked.

With it not renamed .exe and no aa ingame enabled.

Last edited:
It works i think tho performance goes down the tube to 13fps compared to 60fps i had also u need to start game with a shortcut cos steam wont launch the renamed exe. Guessing nvidia had a profile to get the performance the way it was so renaming had crippled it.

snip[/IMG][/URL]

Excellent.... screenie looks much better... :D

Back
Top Bottom