Magners Cider... *drool*

Associate
I was also a victim of the great advertising campaign, "put ice in it its great" !!!

Was just gonna ask if anyone had gone and done that? :p

I've had cider with ice before, but that's more because Withnail and I's my favourite movie, rather than any advertising.

Must admit I do enjoy the odd pint of both Magners and Bulmers but I can't drink it all night. Gives me chronic heartburn. If it's getting to the end of the night and I'm fed up of lager then a nice pint of cider's the ticket.

Hmmm... apple.

Soldato
I prefer Strongbow if it's REALLY cold to Magners, no idea why I think it's just a lot sweeter tasting and refreshing.

If it's not that cold though it tastes minging compared to Magners - or perhaps by that time I'm too drunk to care :)

Soldato
Try this instead. :)

westons_organic.jpg

I find Magners completly tasteless (compared to Strongbow, that's saying something!)

Soldato
I myself went through a magners stage, I absolutely love the stuff but its not cheap, especially not in pub! I have yet to dabble much further than Magners, Bulmers, Strongbow and Strongbow sirrus. Morrisons used to do 4 for £5 on the special ciders like they do with the special beers also, might be worth checking out?

Soldato
The same company makes them both so they're both as likely to be "full of chemicals" as each other to be honest :p

Bulmers is a reg'd trademark only in Ireland, in the UK they sell it under a different trademark (Magners). So I gather the bottles called Bulmers were imported from Ireland so is "Irish Cider" despite it being the same thing...

"Magners is identical to Bulmers in terms of product taste and characteristics and its branding, packaging and promotional strategy is based on the marketing approach, which has been so successful for the Bulmers brand in Ireland."

"Bulmers Ltd. manufacturers of both Bulmers and Magners, do not own the trade mark for Bulmers outside of the Republic of Ireland."

http://www.magnerscider.com/about-us/faqs.asp

So that's why I couldn't taste a difference ;)

May be both full of chemicals but i can alway tell the difference, as for Bulmers being the same as Magners it cant be why would they sell 2 identical ciders. Bulmers just tastes worse imho

Soldato
I love devon/somerset cider. when i first tried magners I was feeling the same as you but Ive goten bored of it now. Right now for cider I drink either Gaymers or pear cider by kopparberg.

Man of Honour
We prefer Bulmers.
Also been getting a few bottles of Merrydown lately, as it's relatively cheap in 1L bottles (about £2.30 or something like that) and high percentage (~7.5%).

Magners is OK but sometimes it just seems a bit... I dunno, watery? I think it's been hyped up a lot over the last year or so and is overrated.

Either way, it's good to see cider making a comeback. Ironically i'm bucking the trend, until I was about 23 I was primarily a cider drinker but for the last 4 years or so I've been drinking a lot more real ale / lager in pubs, and wine at home.

edit: tonight I also had some Suffolk cider (Aspinalls) came in this really tall thin pint bottle. Very tasty.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom