Magners Cider... *drool*

Man of Honour
Magners and Bulmers are the exact same drink just sold under different names:confused:

bulmers.jpg

magners.jpg

Man of Honour
I beg to differ, there's a distinctly different taste when I drink them.

There's a bar I drink in just on the Irish border which serves both Magners and Bulmers depending on where their delivery comes from. I have had both consecutively and they are absolutely identical, label and everything apart from the name.

Soldato
Scrumpy Cider........................................now that shizzle is the bizzle.

2 pints and im gone, myth has it that the % varies from like 6-12 depending on where abouts in the barrel its up to. But trust me the stuff is lethal, just looks like orange, not a particular pleasant taste but is very still with little fizz. Drink of champions.

Caporegime
There's a bar I drink in just on the Irish border which serves both Magners and Bulmers depending on where their delivery comes from. I have had both consecutively and they are absolutely identical, label and everything apart from the name.

Ones English, the others Irish. That's the only difference.

Caporegime

I think the same. I have always assumed they are identical. They certainly taste the same to me. The only difference for me is the price, Bulmers is a fair bit cheaper round here.

Soldato
Hmm you sure? I'm not going to start an argument because I don't know 100%, but I always thought they tasted different.

Especially considering one's brewed in Herefordshire by the same company as Strongbow, and the other's brewed in Ireland somewhere.... must admit i didnt realise the labels were quite so identical though

Associate
Magners is the same as the bulmers that is sold in the irish repbulic, but not the same as the bulmers sold in the uk. Uk bulmers is not "irish cider" its vintage cider and made by a totally different company, they coppied the design of the irish bottles to try and make money from the sucess of the irish cider.

Associate
Lets not get confused here.

Many people are getting confused with bulmers and bulmers original.

In england, if you buy bulmers it'll most likely be hereford cider, magners is a completely different drink (although sold under bulmers in ireland)

Anyways, in order of my preference:

Bulmers
Strongbow Sirrus
Old Rosie
Westons organic
Magners
Strongbow

All the cider I drink, although I do tend to try something new if I see it on the shelf in tescos/morrisons.

Man of Honour
Magners and Bulmers are the exact same drink just sold under different names:confused:

I've been reliably informed (by Gilly anyway) that they are not always the same drink when on the mainland. Bulmers in Ireland and Magners on the mainland are the same drink but Bulmers on the mainland is something differently apparantly.

Whatever though, I'm really not a fan of it whichever alias it goes under. As I've said before, I automatically mistrust a non-spirit based drink that demands it be drunk cold. Cold only numbs taste, it doesn't enhance it so when even the manufacturer suggests it then you can be pretty sure it is a bit of a dodgy product. Real cider isn't too bad on occasion and Kopparberg tastes like juice which isn't what I want from my alcohol. :)

Soldato
I used to like a bit(lot) of cider when I was a drinker nowadays I will just have the odd pint of something sweet or new looking.

IMO
Strongbow:Chemical pee water that will ruin your innards and also your head quickly, much like an apple flavored bleech.
Blackthorn:Much heavier than strongbow and very woody to taste(oak?) probably a bit rotten for most though I enjoyed it for some time, can defiantly wreck a man fast.
Old English:From what I remember off the pump its very nice and rather sweet yet canned its a bit pap, to be expected I guess. Must try some more.
Magners:Came with a lot of hype and was highly recommended, came with ice in the glass which only watered down the already **** weak taste, also crap after taste.
Scrumpy jacks:Closer to vinegar than a refreshing afternoon tipple the odd pint/can can be enjoyed but not a good long session. Getting closer to real cider though which can REALLY get you trashed.

I did have a Bulmers once and found it a little flat with a bitter after taste but that requires more investigation esp if it is the same as Magners.

Having said all that I mostly have a pear Kopparberg these days which I know is ridiculously sweet and a little bit dandy(never sampled the apple one).

*edit* anyone tried Gaymers?

Soldato
I can't honestly get away with magners tbh :/

Blackthorn is the niceset "mass" cider IMO ... i like dry ciders.

Whoever said merrydown = good shout, but its rocket fuel :o

Pear cider is like syrup, sugar, pear juice, more sugar, golden syrup, then more sugar, mixed together... absolutely vile.

Bulmers used to be REALLY nice (was 6%), but then it changed to "Symonds Original" and now is Bulmers Original again (but different brewery - and only 3 and a bit % )

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom