Magners Cider... *drool*

Soldato
I had some Stowford Press Export Cider the other week - it's one of the nicest ciders I've ever had; nicer than Magners :).

stowfordexportdm9.jpg

£1.50 for 660ml at 6% too :o.

Oh yes, tis good stuff..
n538497177_227210_621.jpg

Soldato
Yes at 54p a can you can't go wrong :rolleyes: alc percentage 2% or something.

If you want to buy cheap cider I suppose you could go for the chav option and hit the white star at £1.15 a bottle with about 6.75% alc content. Or white lightning.

For quality strongbow and magners, bulmers tastes the same as magners imo. Magners for sweetness and strongbow for bitter.

Merrydown is a proper, quality cider :s AND its 7.5%

Strongbow isn't particularly "bitter" as you call it (dry to everyone else) either

FYI 'pear cider' is horrible :)

Corrected

Associate
Never really like one particular cider tried loads and I can recommend them all:

Thatchers Gold
Thatchers Katy/Coxs/Spartan
Green Goblin
Aspail Cider
Merry Down Vintage Gold (or regular)
Westons (there are a few and they're all nice)
Strongbow...loads say it tastes like wee, well i like wee especially when its been in the freezer for 20minutes...Blackthorn the same.

Like I said i don't really just drink one type. As long as its sweet(ish) im fine.

Soldato
I can't drink most of the mainstream ciders now, they've all changed and mostly taste horrible. When Dry Blackthorne changed to cold filtered they might as well have called it urine. Just why?

I like Katy's and Merrydown, Olde English is still the best of the rest but I've tasted some of the White Lightning type ciders recently that taste better to me than the Strongbows and the other regular 5 proofs.

Magners tastes like a girls drink tbh.

Best ever cider was Dry Blackthorn Super some years back. I've never tasted anything better than that.

Soldato
Living in Somerset often involves consuming lots of cider. :cool:

But Strongbow? Magners? I only have these if this is the only cider that the pub serves.

Try some real cider like Westons Organic or Thatchers Old Rascal, and you'll never look back. :)

Cheddar Valley is good if you are feeling brave!

Exhibition is nice if you can find it... no one know how strong it is tho. :D

Stowfords Press is also very nice - try this first as it isn't too dry, and often people who don't really like cider often like Stowfords Press. I could happily live off the stuff. Ashton Press is harder to find, but even better IMO.

Merrydown is OK... but often leads to memory loss in my experience. :eek:

I could go on about cider all day, and I'm always on the lookout for ones I haven't tried yet...
Found a lovely cider in weatherspoons the other day, they just got it in. It's called bullfinch. It's a spot on drop, much better than magners. Very drinkable as well. The type you just sit there drinking, don't realise how much you've had till you stand up.
Ooo, I'll be sure to try this one next time I'm out and about. :)

Last edited:
Associate
That's like comparing driving an old Metro to driving the latest M Coupe BMW. Strongbow is cheap for a reason, it's an inferior quality cider.

Yet Magners has had a record low in sales this year. Reason why? Not the drink it was the advert showing people sitting out on a hot summers day drinking it....we got no summer really so i guess that deterred them which is odd really.

Tesco and Waitrose have a great cider collection, I would say Waitrose has slightly more (as they have katy and coxs and also green goblin). Only downside is I can't find anywhere Thatchers Gold other than the two litre bottles which goes flat quick. Only glass bottle version (500ml) i get from the Thatchers Museum in Somerset.

Soldato
Yet Magners has had a record low in sales this year. Reason why? Not the drink it was the advert showing people sitting out on a hot summers day drinking it....we got no summer really so i guess that deterred them which is odd really.

Tesco and Waitrose have a great cider collection, I would say Waitrose has slightly more (as they have katy and coxs and also green goblin). Only downside is I can't find anywhere Thatchers Gold other than the two litre bottles which goes flat quick. Only glass bottle version (500ml) i get from the Thatchers Museum in Somerset.
Ooo, another one I haven't heard of = Green Goblin. I did see one called "Janets Jungle Juice" at a pub once. :D

Thatchers gold is also available in cans... I often get it at an off licence near me. :cool:

£7 for 8 pint cans - I'm not sure how this compares to the bottles.

Associate
cider is a fantastically good way to get tottaly ******, westons old rosie is 8ish percent and only £2.10 at my local wetherspoons... 5 pints in you and your fairly ****** equally it impossible to get drunker for cheaper than asda white diamond...

and nothing beats a pint of magners on ice in the sun.....

however... gotta love kronenberg blanc... tho not a cider...

Soldato
cider is a fantastically good way to get tottaly ******, westons old rosie is 8ish percent and only £2.10 at my local wetherspoons... 5 pints in you and your fairly ****** equally it impossible to get drunker for cheaper than asda white diamond...

and nothing beats a pint of magners on ice in the sun.....

however... gotta love kronenberg blanc... tho not a cider...
You do build a tolerance to it tho I've found.

I find 4 pints of stella will make me more wasted that 4 pints of stowfords press which is stronger than stella.

This is probably because I don't drink larger very often, so it's a bit of a shock to the system (so to speak), but I like to drink copious amounts of cider. ;)

I'm getting to quite like Guiness at the moment - It's also nice when mixed with cider (50/50). :D

Caporegime
OP
Holy ****...

I bought some Magners from Sains the other day and picked up a couple of bottles of different typed to try, one sainsburys organic (meh), and the other a bottle of 6.2% Henry Westons Special Reserve Vintage Cider.

I remember drinking a magners then both of the bottles and thinking about 20 minutes later: "I'm actually a bit battered, wtf".

Bought another today and it turns out the Henry Weston is 8.2% and not 6.2%. Ahh, that'll be why then... :D

Caporegime
OP
Rather nice? Compared to the urine 7.2% bottle of scrumpy I bought, it's of Magners quality. Rarely have I ever tasted a cider of beer so strong yet so smooth. Top stuff.

<3 Cider.:o

Back
Top Bottom