Magners Cider... *drool*

Soldato
Pear cider is far too sweet for me, and i'm a fan of sweet cider, especially Woodpecker.

I do like Magners, and Blumers, but the king of bottled ciders imo is Strongbow Sirrus.

Caporegime
OP
Ugh I bought a 2L bottle of scrumpy strong 7.5% cider (cloudy stuff) from Sainsburys the other night... tastes like crap... anyone tasted it before?

Man of Honour
Found a lovely cider in weatherspoons the other day, they just got it in. It's called bullfinch. It's a spot on drop, much better than magners. Very drinkable as well. The type you just sit there drinking, don't realise how much you've had till you stand up.

Caporegime
Sorry, I don't have time to read this whole thread. Tried Magners, didn't like it - was too sweet. Are there any dry ciders that are commonly available in British pubs? Haven't really drunk cider before, but had a nice glass of Brut cider in France last year and thought it was very nice.

Man of Honour
If you haven't tried Magners you also can't call yourself a trend-following sheep either.

Never touched a drop and ain't going to start either.
surely that's following the anti trend stereotype.

try it, if you like it drink it, if you don't, dont.

Not trying it just because you think it's a trend is silly.

Soldato
I tried Kopparberg (pear) the other night for the first time and found it far too sweet, it was literally like drinking slightly sour pear juice :p Much prefer the original Magners, although I have to admit that I'm sure there are many far more tasty ciders out there!

I'm still trying to get over a smoked ale I had the other night, it was like bacon in a glass! :eek: Wish I could remember the name - it was German.

Soldato
Tonight I'm having a few cans of Gaymers Olde English before I go out. It's a fairly nice cider (medium dry) and I find it easier to drink than strongbow.

It's the king of ciders and it's the only one that I can still drink.

When I was at school we went on a week long biology field trip and on the last night the teacher let us go down to the shop and buy a "reasonable" amount of grog. I bought a 2.5 litre bottle of olde english and necked it very quickly. Half an hour later I rolled down an entire flight of stone steps, carried on rolling until I ended up at the feet of the teacher who was sitting reading a book. I then started talking cobblers for a bit and then fell asleep on the floor.

Great drink!

Associate
I'm still trying to get over a smoked ale I had the other night, it was like bacon in a glass! :eek: Wish I could remember the name - it was German.

Sounds rather like Rauchbier to me...literally, smoke beer. Used to drink quite a lot of it in Austria, little brewery in Vienna made a version of it, though I've only really seen it in the UK at beer festivals. Seems you can get it online, though predictably expensive.

Good stuff though, even if the meat taste is a little surprising at first!

http://www.internationalbeershop.com.au/products.asp?product_id=586

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Westons Vintage or Old Rosie are my favourites though Old Rosie always gives me headaches. lol
If you go to the brewery they also sell it on draught.
Also tried one I found in Sainsburys called Longueville which I think is French. Quite distinctive flavour.

Incidentally Sainsburys Taste the Difference Cider is made by Westons I was told!

Andrew

Back
Top Bottom