Main holds 19 year dying dog in lake every night who saved him when he was a puppy

Soldato
The dog is supposedly 19.

He adopted it in 1996 when it was estimated to be 8-14 months old.

Surely then, that makes it 17 at the most?

Last edited:
Soldato
If the dog is in that much pain and riddled with arthritis, surely the kind thing to do would be to put him down.

I really dislike this attitude. Life is something to be treasured for everything on this planet, just because we can terminate life early doesn't mean we should.

A bit of effort and due care can go along way with animals who are surprisingly resilient.

Soldato
I recently had to put my dog down (a little over a week ago), he was at least 16 (we've had him 14 years and the kennel estimated him as around 2). It's such a shame when a pet you've had for a large portion of you're life deteriorates in old age and has no other option but to be put down to end any suffering. :(

I really dislike this attitude. Life is something to be treasured for everything on this planet, just because we can terminate life early doesn't mean we should.

A bit of effort and due care can go along way with animals who are surprisingly resilient.

I agree with animals being resilient. When I got my dog he had been badly treated by his previous owner, and was frighted by everything. But eventually he managed to get over his previous mistreatment and was a gentle and playful member of the family. But in his old age he lost hearing in one ear, partially in the other, worsening eye sight, frequently lost his sense of balance, lost his rear leg strength when his weight was on it, had trouble eating and had difficulty sleeping. When an animal loses the ability to perform basics tasks like feeding itself, moving around with hurting itself and no longer can sleep or enjoy life then some times the best thing to do is end it's life so it doesn't have to suffer any more. It's not always about length of life but quality of life, and sometimes putting an animal down even though it could 'technically' go on living is the most humane thing to do.

Associate
I agree with animals being resilient. When I got my dog he had been badly treated by his previous owner, and was frighted by everything. But eventually he managed to get over his previous mistreatment and was a gentle and playful member of the family. But in his old age he lost hearing in one ear, partially in the other, worsening eye sight, frequently lost his sense of balance, lost his rear leg strength when his weight was on it, had trouble eating and had difficulty sleeping. When an animal loses the ability to perform basics tasks like feeding itself, moving around with hurting itself and no longer can sleep or enjoy life then some times the best thing to do is end it's life so it doesn't have to suffer any more. It's not always about length of life but quality of life, and sometimes putting an animal down even though it could 'technically' go on living is the most humane thing to do.

+1, although I would rather it wasn't people first thought when a pet has a medical problem, my uncle's German Shepard has arthritis and has days where she struggles to move, but you couldn't meet a happier dog, even on her bad days.

Soldato
+1, although I would rather it wasn't people first thought when a pet has a medical problem, my uncle's German Shepard has arthritis and has days where she struggles to move, but you couldn't meet a happier dog, even on her bad days.

I totally agree it should never be a first thought, that should be to take care of the animal and if possible improve it's quality of life. Even with diminishing eye sight/hearing and some back legs that were starting to get worse my dog would still rush around and go all hyper when someone comes home and had lots of life in him, but over the last two months that all drained from him. If there is no joy left in an animals life, and it's quality of life can not be improved then the thought of putting the animal down should be considered.

Soldato
There's something amazing about that picture. It's possible to feel the sense of love between the two, simply in their expressions. Beautiful.

We've had dogs, one of which died suddenly at just 2 yrs old, even the experts at Fitzpatrick Animal Hospital couldn't figure it out (famed on TV for animal prosthesis).

My heart goes out to this guy.

Associate
I totally agree it should never be a first thought, that should be to take care of the animal and if possible improve it's quality of life. Even with diminishing eye sight/hearing and some back legs that were starting to get worse my dog would still rush around and go all hyper when someone comes home and had lots of life in him, but over the last two months that all drained from him. If there is no joy left in an animals life, and it's quality of life can not be improved then the thought of putting the animal down should be considered.

This is exactly when I think it should be considered too. My GF's dog was put down last year due to stomach cancer, however it wasn't until 6 months after diagnosis that this happened. The decision was made after she hadn't touched her food or even left her bed. That day she wouldn't even come near me, and when I crouched beside her to say hello she just growled which was completely uncharacteristic of her. Though she seemed to come over and apologise when we were all sat in the vet's waiting room.

Soldato
The dog has arthritis, arthritis couldn't possibly be a reason to put down an animal.

Would you put your mum down because of arthritis?

Would you put your mum down if she had cancer?

There are many illnesses that when they happen to a animal the best coarse of action is to be put down, whilst its wouldnt necessarily be the case in humans.

Associate
Would you put your mum down if she had cancer?

There are many illnesses that when they happen to a animal the best coarse of action is to be put down, whilst its wouldnt necessarily be the case in humans.

I disagree here, its not nessicerily the illness, more the quality of their life, even if a dog has cancer/arthritis etc they can still lead a perfectly happy life, and if a dog is happy then that means that they are feeling good in themselves, its when a dog is no longer happy that their quality of life has fallen

Caporegime
This is true, it's also true for a lot of people who are kept alive, whether they like it or not

erm wat?

just no, if someone would rather experience life then that's entirely their call

and if this guy can give his dog a comfortable life (within reason) then fair play to him

Soldato
The dog has arthritis, arthritis couldn't possibly be a reason to put down an animal.

Would you put your mum down because of arthritis?

From reading the article, it seems the dogs arthritis is beyond discomfort and is causing a lot of pain, enough for it to no longer be able to get to sleep naturally. Without being the dogs owner it's impossible to know if putting the dog down should or shouldn't be an option, it's possible that the dog can still have happiness at times, but it's also possible that the dog is deteriorating and lives and painfull and joyless life.

Soldato
I didn't lose my ****ing dignity though.

mike-tyson-lol-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-953.gif

Back
Top Bottom