Mains cable missing from box

Caporegime
Not really, the point there was that not coming with a power lead was such a big deal it made national news. That's how much a power lead is just an expected part of an electrical product.

Thats fair. But OP did find cables for them so a big deal was made out of it when it needn't have been necessarily.

I'm still curious about whether it did indeed say a cable would be included like he said, or if it didnt but it was assumed.

One means OcUK messed up, the other means they dont come with power cables. In either case I think the reasonable thing to do would be to just include them.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
They cost £2.50 tops. they should be included with anything that needs to be plugged into a wall as part of the bundle, even if the system builder buys parts as OEM boxed so probably won't come with extra cables as such because it's an OEM system builder product like how an OEM CPU won't come with a heatsink but a retail one will.

Regardless, it's a total non issue really. Everyone has a kettle lead lying around the house given how many things use the damn things.

Soldato
Maybe its brand specific then.

I've had Silverstone and XFX with no cables, Corsair and OCZ with american cables.

Where on earth are you buying from?
Quite seriously.
An electrical appliance in the UK must come with a plug, a moulded plug.
Often they do partial plugs now where you can interchange the prongs.
Or USB where a device in theory can derive power without a plug.
All PSU should have a plug, if UK sourced properly.

V F

V F

Soldato
Quite seriously.

Who remembers when it was loose wires?

Caporegime
Quite seriously.

Well this is awkward... Um... OcUK? :p

Soldato
I can remember 5amp rubber plugs. - we had one on a kettle and as my Dad pulled the plug out (no switch) it left a pin in socket - I went to put kettle on and asked dad what had happened - I said did you get a pair of insulated pliars to pull pin out - He went white and lucky it was negative pin
I had a job at a college once and the handy man showed me a box of 13a plugs he had replace on appliances the students had fitted - I doubt very much the student/kids are any better today.
Think nails - ciggy foil - insulation stripped back to clamp and very neatly wound tightly and connected to each terminal without any wire touching and loads more I can't remember.

Man of Honour
they're only moulded now because folk thought they were capable of wiring a plug, which then caused the injuries and fires :p
It's three wires, one fuse and some screws. How hard can it be?

But you are right. Moulded plugs were introduced for safety. I think there was also a big issue with people putting the wrong fuse in older plugs. They would put a 13a fuse in something needing only 5a and causing a fire when the fus should have blown.

Soldato
My other half amazed me on wiring a plug,
"Brown starts br bottom right, blue starts bl bottom left and whatever is left goes in the middle"
I've wired more plugs than I care to think, but never noticed or was taught that.

Commissario
My other half amazed me on wiring a plug,
"Brown starts br bottom right, blue starts bl bottom left and whatever is left goes in the middle"
That’s exactly how I remember it and I’ve probably fitted hundreds, BRown Bottom Right, BLue Bottom Left.
The most recent time was just a couple of days ago.

Soldato
Maybe its brand specific then.

I've had Silverstone and XFX with no cables, Corsair and OCZ with american cables.

So you are saying you get American PSUs?

Can't be right.

European ones maybe (although I've always received UK specific power supplied).

As for this thread I had no idea they had different fuses. I just throw all kettle leads into a box and use a random one when required.

edit:

Because of this thread I'm gonna switch the cables for the 5A ones. I wonder what the 10A and 13A fused cables came with.

edit2:

They probably came with power supplies thinking about it. Because at 120V it's possible to pull 5A.

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
they're only moulded now because folk thought they were capable of wiring a plug, which then caused the injuries and fires :p

I used to chuckle when I saw L and R on motocross bike footpegs. Considering there is only one way they can go on.

Or how about the people that wrap tin foil around blown fuses...

Back
Top Bottom