Mains cable missing from box

Commissario
@Stephen Runnalls
This needs to be raised in the Customer Service forums quoting your order number. From what I understand, pre built systems should have a box containing cables and extra bits, such as the aerial.

@robj20 OcUK staff don’t monitor the general forums, remember that all the mod team are volunteers and not OcUK employees.

/edit - I can confirm that the power cables supplied with pre built systems have 13A fuses.

Soldato
@Stephen Runnalls
This needs to be raised in the Customer Service forums quoting your order number. From what I understand, pre built systems should have a box containing cables and extra bits, such as the aerial.

@robj20 OcUK staff don’t monitor the general forums, remember that all the mod team are volunteers and not OcUK employees.

Remove yoru own Wifi Antennas and get in the car lol.

Caporegime
Yes, a pre built PC that has been posted could have had parts come loose im shipping etc, always a good idea. :)

But also yes, you would expect it to work and some people who buy a pre built PC might not even know how to take the side panel off let alone re seat the memory and cards!

I cant see anywhere in the product page where it says it should come with a power lead though. It would be good of OcUK to bundle one in anyway, but I'd probably ask. Since PSU's often dont even come with one, or come with an American one.

Glad you're on the road to getting it sorted and im sure that if it did indeed say somewhere that kettle leads would be included, that OcUK will happily send you a couple if you post in the CS section. :)

Also be careful when mentioning competitors as its against the rules, strictly speaking. The purple shirt place are competition, albeit not very competitive competition most of the time. :p

It's not good of them it's expected. Would you buy a car with a no fuel in it, like none so that you have to bring fuel to it? No.

If you're buying a full system, you expect to open it up and plug it in and it works.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Hi. I bought 2 pre-built gaming PCs from Overclockers - the boys opened the boxes this morning (Christmas day) and the mains cable has been left out in both. They are in tears. The spec says the box should include a Kolink AT/ATX "Kettle Plug" 1.2 5A Fuse Meter Mains Cable. It doesn't. I have kettle plugs that show 250v 10a, but I don't want to risk damaging the PCs and invalidating my warranty. Any advice on whether I can safely use 250v 10a power cable?

Does it say 250v 10a on the fuse door on those cables or on the plug/cable itself? If the latter then this is the max this cable is supposed to handle, the fuse inside is likely a 5a. The PSU will handle everything else adequately anyway so this is not really a huge issue.

Anyway, I've seen PSUs come with kettle leads with both 5a and 13a, neither have ever been a problem. Your outlets should be on surge protected extensions anyway assuming you're not plugging the PC directly into the wall, but then again, better to be protected all the same and use a surge protected extension from the wall.

It's not end of the world, it's just a kettle lead so the ones you have will be perfectly fine.

Ideally you want a 3A fuse in there or 5A. In the event of a short/surge then the fuse will blow on the plug before the fuse inside the PSU which is a bit trickier to replace so you save time/effort there. Although if you are on a well protected power extension from the wall outlet, this is just an extra seatbelt safety measure really incase your surge protection circuit fails.

The papers say there should be kettle leads in the box so that's on ocuk to answer but in the short term you're not going to have failed computers for using an already existing kettle lead.

Caporegime
It's not good of them it's expected. Would you buy a car with a no fuel in it, like none so that you have to bring fuel to it? No.

If you're buying a full system, you expect to open it up and plug it in and it works.

I would check if it came with a cable and if not add one to the basket with the system. OP says it said it was included though. If it didn't say that my stance would be to ask.

As for your analogy, almost every car you buy will have next to no fuel in it, first stop is usually a petrol station. :p

Caporegime
Missing WiFi antennas is pretty bad though if they came with the motherboard, I would expect all accessories from the retail parts to arrive with the machine however I've never bought a prebuilt so I'm probably not the best judge.
Yea, I would assume you get a little box with all the individual manuals and any spare parts/screws from the case etc.

PSU do still come with kettle leads?
I would check if it came with a cable and if not add one to the basket with the system. OP says it said it was included though. If it didn't say that my stance would be to ask.
surely anyone buying a prebuilt pc expects to be able to plug it in and turn it on, that's the convenience your paying for?

PSU still come with a kettle lead??

a reddit post from 6 days ago is telling me they do.

so anyone selling prebuilt pcs and making you buy a kettle lead separately is billing you for something you already paid for.

do they keep any cables that come with a GPU too? I'm assuming OCUK is supposed to provide you with every cable that came with the parts you bought, since OCUK isnt exactly known for ripping people off.

I'm going to assume high workload and human error.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Almost every PSU I've bought has come with either an american power lead or no power lead at all. I think the assumption is that you'll already have one from your previous computer/power supply.

We still aren't clear on if it said it will come with one or not. OP says it explicitly stated that it does. I can't see where it says that. I agree that a full system should come with one though! Whether it comes with the PSU or not!

Any modular PSU cables, IO plates, booklets, screws or whatnot should be included in a box too. Otherwise what are they going to do with them?

Last edited:
Underboss
Possibly yeah, I'd expect one with every monitor purchase and PSU purchase.

If it needs power to run it needs to have the required cables or state very explicitly that it does not contain them.

Caporegime
I cant see anywhere in the product page where it says it should come with a power lead though.
It doesn't explicitly say it comes with SATA data cables connecting the hard drives either but you'd not expect to have to ask if they're included would you? They just are because otherwise it wouldn't work.

To me the power cable is the same, it wouldn't even occur to me that something completely essential wouldn't be included. I don't recall ever buying a PSU that didn't include the kettle lead either.

It's not like peripherals or screens where you would expect the customer to want to choose their own, so serve no real purpose being included.

Soldato
yeah a power lead should be standard....I don't think I've ever seen a kettle lead being included as a seperate item in any of the 'spec me a pc' threads :p

Associate

As for your analogy, almost every car you buy will have next to no fuel in it, first stop is usually a petrol station. :p
True. Not even mats.

Caporegime
It doesn't explicitly say it comes with SATA data cables connecting the hard drives either but you'd not expect to have to ask if they're included would you? They just are because otherwise it wouldn't work.

Clearly not the same. A PC is a self contained appliance once it is fully built.

You may as well say that a DVD player not coming with a kettle lead is the same as the DVD player having one of the internal ribbon cables missing.

yeah a power lead should be standard....I don't think I've ever seen a kettle lead being included as a seperate item in any of the 'spec me a pc' threads :p

Tis true, it sounds like most PSU's come with kettle leads from what others are saying though.

Caporegime
Clearly not the same. A PC is a self contained appliance once it is fully built.

You may as well say that a DVD player not coming with a kettle lead is the same as the DVD player having one of the internal ribbon cables missing.

It's equally useless with either missing though, whether you want to call it a 'self contained appliance' or whatever else, you wouldn't expect it to come without the ability to power it up. The point I was making is that it doesn't need to be listed explicitly for it to be an expected inclusion in the package.

About the only thing I can think of where I wouldn't necessarily expect a power cable these days is mobile phones and only because I remember seeing something in the news about electrical waste due to USB chargers being so ubiquitous now.

Caporegime
It's equally useless with either missing though, whether you want to call it a 'self contained appliance' or whatever else, you wouldn't expect it to come without the ability to power it up. The point I was making is that it doesn't need to be listed explicitly for it to be an expected inclusion in the package.

About the only thing I can think of where I wouldn't necessarily expect a power cable these days is mobile phones and only because I remember seeing something in the news about electrical waste due to USB chargers being so ubiquitous now.

Surely you just undermined your argument completely with the mobile phone part of that post? Especially when OP found power leads for the computers laying around his house. :p

Never mind.

I would expect one to be included, I agree. I only disagree about the severity of the issue caused by it not being included.

Caporegime
Surely you just undermined your argument completely with the mobile phone part of that post? Especially when OP found power leads for the computers laying around his house. :p

Never mind.
Not really, the point there was that not coming with a power lead was such a big deal it made national news. That's how much a power lead is just an expected part of an electrical product.

Back
Top Bottom