Malaysian Grand Prix 2011, Sepang International Circuit - Race 2/19

Soldato
So tell us why you dont want to believe the whole pitlane -

Because I have not seen any evidence whatsoever of what is being claimed by a lot of people.

Last year was the most obvious time where his tyre management would be evident. Against Hamilton - the driver who is reputed to be one of, if not the, driver who is hardest on tyres - Button was not able to make his tyres last any longer than Hamilton.

During pre-season (2011), some people continued with the Mantra about Button being able to make up ground on Hamilton this year, if only because of the less durable tyres. After 1 race, the same pattern is emerging - ie. Button's tyre management is no better than Hamilton.

The way I see it is that if Button cannot make his tyre management work against Hamilton, he wouldn't stand a chance against somebody like Alonso, who is genuinely easy on his tyres and has lap times (vs his team-mates) to prove this. We even have a statement from a Bridgestone official clearly stating that Alonso looked after his tyres better than any other driver, after one of the opening GPs of last year.

These are the sort of articles which I am talking about:
http://www.f1pulse.com/features/Ham...rack_talk20100926_100/track_talk_article.aspx

http://www.f1network.net/main/s107/st155578.htm

In both of the above articles, a Bridgestone official is waxing lyrical about Alonso's ability to manage his tyres.

Caporegime
In the new Senna movie, much is made of Senna's absolute belief that MSc was running traction control in 1994. Senna seemed to believe that the only reason why the Bennetton was more drivable was because the car was fitted with a form of traction control.

I remember reading an article about the Bennetton having traction control and it was in a hidden/invisible menu. Was this in 1994?

it was launch control and the fia found it, it could only be activated via a menu on a laptop it was something silly like pressing to down to select a setting that wasnt listed as beeing there.

many journalists reffered to it as traction control because it sounded better.

its been discussed on this forum atleast once (theres also videos of schumacher having slides/wheelspin off the start in racs of 1994)

Last edited:
Caporegime
this has been done to death... it was not traction control it was launch control something renault was very good at once it became legal.

Yep if you believe the only time he had a car with illegal software was 94. Pretty much the whole world knows that isn't the case. :)

Sorry that was meant to be clearer.

I've seen composites which are incredibly stiff in certain planes but bend like anything in others.

Not actually, an F1 wing :p

Yeah I knew what you meant, I was curious as to what you have seen that does this :)

Soldato
Because I have not seen any evidence whatsoever of what is being claimed by a lot of people.

Last year was the most obvious time where his tyre management would be evident. Against Hamilton - the driver who is reputed to be one of, if not the, driver who is hardest on tyres - Button was not able to make his tyres last any longer than Hamilton.

During pre-season (2011), some people continued with the Mantra about Button being able to make up ground on Hamilton this year, if only because of the less durable tyres. After 1 race, the same pattern is emerging - ie. Button's tyre management is no better than Hamilton.

The way I see it is that if Button cannot make his tyre management work against Hamilton, he wouldn't stand a chance against somebody like Alonso, who is genuinely easy on his tyres and has lap times (vs his team-mates) to prove this. We even have a statement from a Bridgestone official clearly stating that Alonso looked after his tyres better than any other driver, after one of the opening GPs of last year.

These are the sort of articles which I am talking about:
http://www.f1pulse.com/features/Ham...rack_talk20100926_100/track_talk_article.aspx

http://www.f1network.net/main/s107/st155578.htm

In both of the above articles, a Bridgestone official is waxing lyrical about Alonso's ability to manage his tyres.

Welcome to the exclusive club of my ignore list:p

Soldato
Welcome to the exclusive club of my ignore list:p

Quickest way to ruin F1 here for your self :p

Oh and for the record on Button, the commentators hype on his tyre management is more or less hype, they might be right on a sensible smooth driving style not ruining tyres so fast, but it clearly isnt as effective on the McLaren in the last season or so... (the Brawn thing is a strange one and is probably down to the way the car was set up helping Buttons deficiencies in the way he drives in comparison to how that reacts with tyre temp).

So to conclude Button has had really good engineers behind him for the odd season to extract good performance from the best car... (same thing probably applies to the Alonso set up, so good on your tyres badge of honour will go to Perez if he holds out all season consistently getting good results with less tyres used...)

Last edited:

smr

smr

Soldato
With regards to Jenson and his tyre wear compared to Lewis last year...

Weren't there bigger psychological and physiological factors on Jenson's mind last year, including - joining a team which had wrapped a big blanket of cotton wool around an existing WDC and universally accepting the common belief that he was their "No.1" driver?

So yeah, getting to know a completely different environment / car to the Honda BAR / Brawn days probably didn't help in Jenson's usage of his tyres.

Furthermore, as has already been stated, the Bridgestone tyres are completely different to the Pirellis. It remains to be seen how well the drivers can "nurse" these tyres as we've only had one race... in a pretty much cold enviroment, on a cold track - even Spain wasn't that hot, certainly no where near as hot as Malaysia and the like.

The predicted 3/4 pit stops in the race on Sunday, and having seen how the tyres are getting shredded to bits should be the first proper view as to how the tyres will be looked after by the drivers on the grid, and therefore we'll see how Lewis' aggressive driving style works compared to Jenson's smoother style.

Jenson, by his own admission states that his idol when growing up (forget his name but can look in my "My Championship Year" book of Jenson's ) was so, because of his smooth driving style. He watched him drive and loved the way he was so smooth. So as well as the pitlane and media saying he's the smoothest, he also backs it up himself.

I hope it stays dry on Sunday, and I can't wait to see how the race will unfold between Jenson and Lewis, I support and respect both, Jenson moreso, but I think if the race is dry, we should get our first very real data gathering evidence to see if the rumours are true - if Jenson is better with his tyres than Lewis. How can we not? If Lewis has to make 4 stops but Jenson can do 3 and be further ahead, do we deduce that the rumours are true? Or Vice Versa, do we then quash the "Smoother" driver debate once and for all?

Soldato
if Jenson is better with his tyres than Lewis. How can we not? If Lewis has to make 4 stops but Jenson can do 3 and be further ahead, do we deduce that the rumours are true? Or Vice Versa, do we then quash the "Smoother" driver debate once and for all?

I think it would be a little too early to make a judgement based on 2 races of the season. I'm looking more at last season where we had full season of races where Button was not able to differentiate himself from Hamilton, with regards to tyre wear.

However, "If Lewis has to make 4 stops but Jenson can do 3 and be further ahead"...I would say that this would be a good supporting argument which would lend credence that Button is genuinely good with tyre management.

My problem is that I can't remember a single race where Button has distinguished himself from the rest of the field, with regards to tyre management. By contrast, in the last race Perez did this...in his very first race in F1. Everybody noticed. Similarly, with Alonso: he is able to go faster than Massa, with few pitstops, on top of which the Bridgestone official seemed to regularly sing Alonso's praises (see my earlier links).

Those are the sort of occurrences that I am looking for.

Man of Honour
Jenson, by his own admission states that his idol when growing up (forget his name but can look in my "My Championship Year" book of Jenson's ) was so, because of his smooth driving style. He watched him drive and loved the way he was so smooth. So as well as the pitlane and media saying he's the smoothest, he also backs it up himself.

Prost.

"The Professor"

Man of Honour
OP
imageokf.jpg

Practice One - Webber sets strong Sepang standard 08 Apr 2011
Mark Webber sent shivers down the spines of rivals here in Sepang this morning as he lapped his Red Bull RB7 1.665s faster than anyone else. Lewis Hamilton got closest in his McLaren, but his 1m 39.316s best was light years behind Webber’s 1m 37.651s.

Highlights - Malaysian GP first practice
Red Bull's Mark Webber sets the fastest time in the first practice session at Sepang while Renault have a miserable morning with both Nick Heidfeld and Vitaly Petrov suffering brake problems.

Man of Honour
OP
imagexq.jpg

Practice Two - McLaren keep Red Bull honest in Malaysia
Mark Webber continued to set the pace for Red Bull as practice resumed in Sepang on Friday afternoon, but this time his margin over McLaren was much smaller. The Australian lapped his RB7 in 1m 36.876s, but Jenson Button took the fastest times in the first two sectors on a lap of 1m 36.881s that left him just 0.005s adrift.

Highlights - Malaysian GP second practice
Red Bull's Mark Webber sets the fastest time of the second free practice session at Sepang edging out the McLarens of Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton.

Man of Honour
OP
Friday practice - selected team and driver quotes
While the forecast thunderstorms never materialized, the other widespread prediction for Friday practice in Sepang - that Red Bull would be the team to beat - did come to fruition with Mark Webber leading the field in the RB7 during both sessions. McLaren, however, didn’t let the reigning constructors’ champions have it all their own way and were a very close second in terms of pace. The leading teams and their rivals reflect on their early progress in Sepang…

FIA Friday press conference - Malaysia
Team Principals - Eric Boullier (Renault), Ross Brawn (Mercedes), Paul Hembery (Pirelli), Christian Horner (Red Bull), Colin Kolles (HRT) and Monisha Kaltenborn (Sauber).

Back
Top Bottom