Malaysian Grand Prix 2011, Sepang International Circuit - Race 2/19

Not really, they pass the test the FIA uses but isn't the rule that all moving aerodynamic parts aren't allowed?

It looks like the wing is flexing when racing and be stiff when tested, maybe air resistance causing heat which in turn causes some material to soften allowing flex.

It's not the temperature.

It's almost certainly down to the weave and layup of the composites used.

You can make composites do very, very strange things depending on how you lay them up etc.

I recon they've managed to lay the wing up so that it's incredibly stiff for when the test load is applied but bends when loads from other directions are applied, i.e. aerodynamic forces.

Perfectly do-able, seen it myself.

It's not the temperature.

It's almost certainly down to the weave and layup of the composites used.

You can make composites do very, very strange things depending on how you lay them up etc.

I recon they've managed to lay the wing up so that it's incredibly stiff for when the test load is applied but bends when loads from other directions are applied, i.e. aerodynamic forces.

Perfectly do-able, seen it myself.

Pretty much that.

Some people are saying why don't teams just copy the RBR front wing. Teams probably have run the RBR design through their CFD's multiple times, not that simple. It's not an add on piece like an F-duct, nor is it really a loop hole like the double diffuser. Just clever design and manufacture.

Evidence of 'marbling' from tyre degradation:

PreviewFile.jpg.ashx

That's just practice, imagine race day.

Wonder how that will affect overtakes on the start/finish straight with DRS in use.

:eek: Pretty messy offline - looks much worse than it did in Oz, and that was pretty bad.

Only just looked at the P2 times - McLaren and Red Bull a second clear of everyone else. Really hope McLaren can take the fight to RBR this season.

Evidence of 'marbling' from tyre degradation:

PreviewFile.jpg.ashx

That's just practice, imagine race day.

Wonder how that will affect overtakes on the start/finish straight with DRS in use.

I'm no expert, but that picture looks distinctly like a high speed corner, while the start/finish straight is... a straight. I would imagin marbles are much less of an issue on a straight, especially at the end of one.

That is awful. What will it look like after 2 hours :eek:

a lot of rubber still get laid down on the straights, although less than a corner like that. Will be fun to lay down an hour of that then have some rain :D

You mean at the end of a high speed straight where everyone will be braking like mad, somehow I think 'marbles' - in all senses of the word - might be a problem!

Loving this clear outright pace from the McLaren and the Bull. Could turn out to be a pretty amazing race if those rain clouds stay away! You'd be a fool to bet against Hamilton I think. Time to shine lad!

I'm sure he is making up those odds. what is that: 1000-1 on?

I havent checked the odds, but it must be something like 4-1 on or similar for a Vettel win. Vettel is definitely favourite.

Get back in your box, I said JUST ABOUT DID, I didn't say he did it. I was saying almost, at no time did I say he did it.

Again the Mclaren was far more reliable than the Ferrari. Over the season there wasn't a lot in difference between the two in pace but Ferrari was nursing some pretty poor reliability.

"Ive never seen a car ......" and you still havent
(thats all I was meaning before)

F1 is IF backwards

End of

So if they had reliability they may not have had the speed- ferrari arent the be all and end all of everything believe it or not (dont think Ferrari had a really bad reliability compared to McLaren)

Last edited:
Webber is usually fast in this race and Button is very gentle on his tyres, could manage a stop less than the other leaders, these are the two I'd be looking at for the win.

Back
Top Bottom