Malaysian Grand Prix 2011, Sepang International Circuit - Race 2/19

Just got back from visiting the parents. That is so ******* crap it's unbelievable. How about everyone else. They need some rule saying only scruternering or something happening within the last 3 laps will change results. It's silly that these things aren't Done in race no excuse fia.

Just got back from visiting the parents. That is so ******* crap it's unbelievable. How about everyone else. They need some rule saying only scruternering or something happening within the last 3 laps will change results. It's silly that these things aren't Done in race no excuse fia.

Do you mean the last 3 laps for time penalties only? Final 10% of the race maybe, I reckon that might be fairer - not a bad idea.

Even ignoring common sense the rule is changes in the braking zone. I can't see the issue with the leading car weaving when the other is following. The issue is the leading car reacting aggressively to cars behind it (like Schumi on Rubens last year)

Yep. For 99% of rules the one%. Which might need clarification fia would have to notify that it will be investigated after race. 99% of rules need 3 viewings of a video clip maximum. How on earth does it take so long to conclude. They should have a pnel of people watching each live feed and anythingquestionable is sent to the stewards.

Picked 3 laps as that's roughly 5 mins. 10% would. Be fine in my book.

Certainly agree wih that without a doubt

1) Just watched the (HD) recording, and agree that Alonso should certainly get a slap on the wrist (he never stood a chance at that point of getting past - so imo was avoidable collision) . Maybe a little harsh but certainly by the rules

2) Cant see the double change that LH got done with at all, from either view point unless it was a lot earlier to the collision (how far back does "in the build up " go ?). Seems even more harsh to me

3) Saying all the above, McLaren /LH were VERY slow in coming in - if they had come in same lap /one after Alonso's stop for his front wing, LH would have at the very least come out ahead of Alonso (within a few seconds) - maybe the unfixable floor/aero would have meant LH still losing the position but it would at least have been a fight

I know JB is good with tyres (or so the theory goes) but Im still quite amazed that LH made his first set last around 10 laps - less if you think of the pace he was getting for most of them, yet JB was still hammering decent times in for the whole of his 19 lap last stint

Im wondering if JB should have gone Soft - Hard - Soft/Hard - Hard on his stops. I know the hard's are about a second slower, however JB was seemingly losing a lot of time due to balance on the first two sets of softs anyway, which disappeared with the hards (although this could have been down to fuel going down too), so the "added" balance going to hard's could have made up for the change in the type of rubber (was just thinking about this during watching the recording)

Vettel had it covered, I have no doubt about it - but I dont think it was as comfortable as they are trying to make out though either. Bring on China

I think they should decide within 5 minutes as you say, if you wait to penalise at the end of the race penalties could be negated by the advantage gained from the original offence.

The example that springs to mind is when Hamilton passed that safety car last year when he shouldn't have and Alonso didn't, Hamilton got a penalty eventually but had gained anyway iirc due to the time taken.

Then again, anything would be better than the current failings of the system.:p

When the message got through to Seb that Hamilton was gaining fast and may take one less stop from them, the hammer was put down and all of a sudden the gap stopped shrinking and started growing again.

Didnt someone on air mention this was potentially down to KERS being risked (due to it being faulty on SV's car) for those few laps SV suddenly got faster , I didnt check the times on the recording but I seem to recall they were suddenly 0.6s better each lap.....I might be thinking of another period in the race though

Due to the amount of crashes and stuff (carbon fibre littering the track), I very much doubt any team wants such a small gap to 2nd unless they REALLY cant do much about it. Vettel could easily have got a puncture and lost even a podium place without 21s+ in his pocket

Vettel managed it yes - but I think McLaren still gave them a little fright

edit - just seen the embedded youtube a few pages back - LH penalty is simply pathetic, no other words for it imo

Last edited:
I was thinking it was between 2nd and 3rd stops (when JB was being held up by LH, within about 1s-1.5s for about 6 laps regularly knocking .2-.3s off

Just a few laps before LH started getting issues and JB jumped him at the next stop....actually thinkign about it maybe SV was on fresher rubber

Makes little difference SV won , bring on China :)

edit - did someone mention earlier that Ferrari have now used two fresh engines for each car -whereas RB & McLaren both used their Aussie engines today?

Last edited:
edit - did someone mention earlier that Ferrari have now used two fresh engines for each car -whereas RB & McLaren both used their Aussie engines today?

McLaren, Ferrari, Sauber, Toro Rosso and D'Ambrosio all used new engines this weekend.

Precautionary more than anything imo as Malaysia is one of the harshest places on engines in the calendar.

Back
Top Bottom