Malaysian Grand Prix 2011, Sepang International Circuit - Race 2/19

Caporegime
Hamilton has been given a 20 time penalty for moving more than once while defending.
Drops him to 8th place behind Kobayashi.

Don't think we saw that?

Alosno also has a 20 second penalty for causing an avoidable accident.

God I hate the stewards. They do absolutely nothing year in year out when drivers try to push each other out and cut the road off and then have a pop when two drivers are racing hard but fair. Alonso misjudged it, fair enough but do you want a scenario where no one tries to pass.

This season is already so WWE it's unbelievable. As I thought before the season and said many times, cars are not running at anything like their ultimate pace, just a predetermined fastest option for the tyres.

Hamilton didn't even think about having a go at Heidfeld in the early part of the race because it wasn't worth taking life out the tyres. They are so concerned with making them last a computer simulated distance.

Vettel was cruising today, Webbers recovery is evidence of that even without Kers. I reckon in the race the red bulls have atleast 0.5 of a second in hand likely more. He will probably do well this year to let drivers have a sniff of a chance and wait for them to kill the tyres chasing him.

Hamilton will always outqualify Jenson but it will be interesting from now on to see how he copes with the tyres. People said he only knows one way, flat out but his first stint was testament that even he knows he can't drive like that and take an extra stop anymore.

Alonso is still in a different league to his team mate, I'd have honestly had massa move over again even though the 20 sec pen would have given him back the points.

The Renault is a tidy car. Kubica has blown it. A good year this year in the renault would have seen him driving a ferrari next year.

For me these tyres don't work. It's stopping balls out racing, I'd honestly prefer another tyre war.

I'm still in two minds about DRS, I can see both sides. It's fake but they are only recreacting the advantage you used to get years ago from running behind and in the slipstream. I agree it's a poor way to go about it though.

Man of Honour
tumblr_ljg64ttbS91qbm0mn.png

:p

Soldato
McLaren could probably use the same engine for every face of the year tbh ... when was the last time we saw a Merc engine blow in F1? They can handle a simulated dyno run of Le Mans 24 without blowing up if I remember the talk I had from a Merc engine guy correctly

Soldato
McLaren could probably use the same engine for every face of the year tbh ... when was the last time we saw a Merc engine blow in F1? They can handle a simulated dyno run of Le Mans 24 without blowing up if I remember the talk I had from a Merc engine guy correctly

The engine may not blow - but it would be seriously down on power within a few races, so not really a go-er unless they really need to

Soldato
As I thought before the season and said many times, cars are not running at anything like their ultimate pace, just a predetermined fastest option for the tyres .

Given the current focus on Aero - the cars are never going to go at anything like their ultimate pace anyway.

Using (heavily) durable tyres may be an artificial decider (and its beyond doubt Pirelli could fabricate longer lasting rubber, if they had been asked to) - but at least its better than last season surely (where everyone was able to make one tyre stop nearly ever race).

So now there are two different philosophies along the pitlane a) Go as fast as possible for as long as possible but probably have to stop at least once more than b) Keep up with the leaders as much as possible but manage tyres a little better and hope to do fewer stops (and thereby save time in the pitlane)

Last season it was mainly team tactics foulups that cost drivers (or something actually during a pitstop) at least this season its actually on the track where the differences are made

Hamilton didn't even think about having a go at Heidfeld in the early part of the race because it wasn't worth taking life out the tyres. They are so concerned with making them last a computer simulated distance..

Hamilton WAS having a go - its just the cars are so similar on fresh rubber, the driver behind has to force the one ahead to make a mistake to really stand a chance . The Renault is a decent car in its own right (as proven all weekend according to Martin and David). McLaren really need to improve their starts immediately to stay ahead of cars like this (and the Ferrari's which also nearly had both McLaren's off the line)

Vettel was cruising today, Webbers recovery is evidence of that even without Kers. I reckon in the race the red bulls have atleast 0.5 of a second in hand likely more. He will probably do well this year to let drivers have a sniff of a chance and wait for them to kill the tyres chasing him.

Webber did unquestionably well without any KERS for the whole of the race, but remember the effect of his recovery was exaggerated a little by everyone else around him having issues (Petrov, Hamilton, Alonso and Massa)

To get the fastest lap around Malaysia without the functionality of KERS but carrrying its weight is incredible, I dont even really understand how thats even possible (admittedly 0.6s for a full KERS charge isnt much compared to 1.41 s or whatever the race lap record was but even so)

The lower track temp on Sunday imo is what killed off the chance of McLaren competing directly with RB for the full race - I seem to recall RB being reasonably heavy users of tyres, where as McLaren is quite light and increase in temp would only exaggerate this difference (I think this was hinted at during the commentary yesterday)

edit - FYI Button , Heidfeld, Rosberg, Massa and Hamilton had arouns the same fastest lap (some faster, some a little slower) of Vettel, only Alonso had a similar fastest laptime to Mark though , nearly 7/10ths faster than SV
(although I dont know how consistant any of these were)

Hamilton will always outqualify Jenson but it will be interesting from now on to see how he copes with the tyres. People said he only knows one way, flat out but his first stint was testament that even he knows he can't drive like that and take an extra stop anymore.

David and Martin both mentioned yesterday how Lewis had changed his driving style to be smoother around the track - unfortunately his 3rd stint damaged all the good work he did earlier in the race (while up behind the Renault)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom