US: Marvel & Netflix - Daredevil

Caporegime
I'm really trying to connect with Daredevil but I can't just see him as anything other than the biggest god damn pussy in the Marvel universe. Watching his fight scenes is almost painful as each guy he puts down gets back up three to four times, its like his strength levels are that of an average human as opposed to someone with Olympic-level capabilities.

The Marvel Wikia lists his powers as:
Peak Human Strength: Thanks to his control over his central nervous system due to his many years of martial arts training, Matt can increase his strength to peak human level. He is strong enough to tip over a limo without straining, causally pick a man up and throw him, easily break a man's leg and rupture skin with a single kick, and lift Foggy's weights up easily with one hand . He has also shown the strength to use a mailbox as a weapon and hurt Hyde with his blows (Hyde is capable of easily lifting vans), and throw his baton with enough force to break concrete.

Peak Human Speed: Similar to his strength, Matt can increase his speed to peak human level. He is capable of sprinting two city blocks in seconds, disappearing, hitting a sniper with his billy club, and crosses a large distance while getting into costume in seconds. Matt's running speed is also possibly far above an Olympic level athlete's speed, such as a track and field sprinter/decathlete.

Superhuman Reflexes: Possibly due to his exposure to the radioactive waste that caused his blindness, Matt's reflexes are enhanced to the degree where he is quick enough to catch a sai thrown by Bullseye, can easily dodge point blank gunfire.
Enhanced Agility: Matt's agility is similarly enhanced. Even while injured, he can still deflect a sniper bullet that Spider-Man couldn't.

Enhanced Endurance: Matt has a very high tolerance to pain. He has survived being knocked around in a car by Nitro, survived after slowing himself down during a multi-story fall and being hit by a car, and kept fighting after being immolated by Typhoid Mary (the same attack severely hurt Jessica Jones, who has superhuman durability).

However you can slap my bum and call me Mary if any of that is even remotely portrayed in this series. There is no sense of power portrayed, and I actually think he's quite pathetic.

Permabanned
Thought Daredevil was pretty badass in this adaptation. He kicks ass, the fights are kind of realistic and I wouldnt really want to see him destroying everyone with one hit. Also takes a beating well. :)

Just wish the supporting cast were not to terrible, Foggy and the ex vampire woman(cant remember her name after 2 seasons she is so wet.......) need to die.

Caporegime
Everybody's powers are toned down and evened out for the MCU. Check out Thor's entry in the marvel wikia if you want a laugh :D.

Ok toned down I can understand, but whereas Thor is still badass, Daredevil has been nerfed to the point where he is, if not ineffectual, then at least lacking in many key areas. If it wasn't for his blind super-senses he would be no different to some martially well-trained but otherwise bog-standard Average Joe, and I'm actually very disappointed in the way they have chosen to portray him. I just can't respect the guy as a hero and have no sense of awe for the character or his abilities.

It's a well-written show with a great cast, but the portrayal of Daredevil genuinely irks me to the point where I spend half an episode mentally facepalming.

maj

maj

Soldato
Second season getting interesting after watching episode 9. Next few episodes look interesting too. Finding myself more interested in The Punisher's story than Daredevil himself though.

Overall this is much better than Jessica Jones which started off okay but quickly lost interest in it.

PayDay Lover
Associate
You lose interest in Jessica Jones, that included one of the best performances of David Tennants career? Dear Lord.

One man is rarely enough to carry a show. As it happens, he was the only reason I managed to suffer through the entire season, and no doubt is the same for others. But certainly I could see why plenty would get bored and give up on it despite Tennant's acting.

Caporegime
Personal opinion and all that, you know? :) Tennant was good yes but doesn't stop the fact Daredevil is the better show imo.

I'm not dissing your opinion in any real sense, I was just good-naturedly expressing surprise as I thought it was stand-out TV. I'll use smileys next time. :)

Soldato
I'm not dissing your opinion in any real sense, I was just good-naturedly expressing surprise as I thought it was stand-out TV. I'll use smileys next time. :)

I honestly think you'll be in the minority thinking JJ is better than DD... For me it's not particularly close.

That might be because I'm not actually into Comics, your main issue seems to be their portrayal of DD, which to me is fine.

Soldato
You lose interest in Jessica Jones, that included one of the best performances of David Tennants career? Dear Lord.

Tennant was meh.
Jessica Jones as a Show was passable, no more no less, some of the fight scenes in the earlier episodes were an utter shambles.

Associate
About halfway through and I'm having similar thoughts to what I did with JJ. Daredevil is much better but they could cut the episode count to 10 instead of 13 and lose so much filler.

Back
Top Bottom